Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   1/24/2009, 1:34 pm

Not only would this concept generate electricity (proven), it would also counteract what many call "global warming", by harnessing the heat generated by existing fossil fueled plants and factories. Construction cost are currently estimated to be around $60 million per facility. Very interesting . . .
LiveScience wrote:
Tame Tornadoes Might Generate Power

By Bill Christensen

posted: 25 July 2007 09:38 am ET

Tornadoes are wild, destructive natural phenomena - right? Not necessarily, according to engineer Louis Michaud, who believes that he has found a way to create full-size "tame" tornadoes that could be used to generate electricity.

Michaud has spent forty years studying tornadoes and is convinced that it is possible to create small tornadoes on demand using a "vortex engine," a device he has patented in both the U.S. and Canada. A full scale vortex engine would produce a funnel cloud that would stretch several kilometers into the atmosphere. The artificial tornado would be powered at the base by waste heat (ideally from a power-generating facility).

The waste heat from the plant would be carried to a nearby vortex engine facility by hot water. A small amount of electricity would be used to blow dry air across the hot water pipes. The heated air would rise with a spinning motion, gathering energy as it rises, creating a vortex. As it gathers momentum, it begins to pull air in through the fans, which would now function as turbines that generate electricity.
http://www.livescience.com/technology/070725_tame_tornadoes.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   2/6/2009, 7:14 pm

That reminds me. So why don't they have numerous hydroelectric power plants generating from the ocean tides? I'm sure they can design something fish safe tot his end.

That also reminds me how Tampa, FL build a big desalination water treatment plant but the goal was never to treat more water but only to take less from streams. Sure they had a lot of problems, not the least of which some of the original filters were poorly designed to keep sand out, but now that it's working OK why not just copy the blueprints and put them all over?

And why don't we have massive water distribution lines all across the country to move water from where it's flooding to where there's a drought?

No we're too busy talking about planting grass and building tennis courts and creating Frisbee golf courses in the name of economic stimulus "infrastructure" or $5,000 tax rebates for buying a new car to be bothered with something that's actually productive long term.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   2/7/2009, 8:43 am

Mirage wrote:
That reminds me. So why don't they have numerous hydroelectric power plants generating from the ocean tides? I'm sure they can design something fish safe tot his end.

That also reminds me how Tampa, FL build a big desalination water treatment plant but the goal was never to treat more water but only to take less from streams. Sure they had a lot of problems, not the least of which some of the original filters were poorly designed to keep sand out, but now that it's working OK why not just copy the blueprints and put them all over?

And why don't we have massive water distribution lines all across the country to move water from where it's flooding to where there's a drought?

No we're too busy talking about planting grass and building tennis courts and creating Frisbee golf courses in the name of economic stimulus "infrastructure" or $5,000 tax rebates for buying a new car to be bothered with something that's actually productive long term.
Exactly right. Why don't we have water pipelines run right down the middle of the Interstates?
How can Dubai desalinate their water, but we can't (or won't)?
No, we have to concentrate on getting the stimulus check!
(I gots to git my check sos I kin git a noo TV and watch Barack Obama)
Priorities way out of whack!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   2/7/2009, 8:53 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:

Priorities way out of whack![/b][/color]

No,Let's cut taxes,deregulate everything and keep digging the hole we're in deeper.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   2/7/2009, 9:03 am

Artie60438 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:

No,Let's cut taxes,deregulate everything and keep digging the hole we're in deeper.
Sorry Artie, but the crux of the "stimulus package" has always been to improve our infrastructure. But, with all of the other tack-ons by congress, it seems as though we are losing focus. Stimulus checks will not work. But putting people BACK TO WORK will. Buying TVs, cars, and "things" is a band aid. Putting people back to work is long term. Do you realize that IF this $900 billion is passed, it will be more money than we spent on the Iraq and Afganistan wars combined? It is also the equivalent of every taxpayer in this country NOT paying a single penny of taxes until August. Sorry, spending is not the solution.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   2/7/2009, 1:24 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:

Sorry Artie, but the crux of the "stimulus package" has always been to improve our infrastructure. But, with all of the other tack-ons by congress, it seems as though we are losing focus. Stimulus checks will not work. But putting people BACK TO WORK will. Buying TVs, cars, and "things" is a band aid. Putting people back to work is long term. Do you realize that IF this $900 billion is passed, it will be more money than we spent on the Iraq and Afganistan wars combined? It is also the equivalent of every taxpayer in this country NOT paying a single penny of taxes until August. Sorry, spending is not the solution.

I have to disagree with you,BWG. Government spending can create jobs,despite what the Republicans would have you believe. What would be your plan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   2/7/2009, 2:29 pm

I have to disagree with you,BWG. Government spending can create jobs,despite what the Republicans would have you believe.

You're right! Except paying $200,000 to create 1 temporary job is just insane.

I am coming to the opinion that these bailouts and the so-called stimulus package all have but 1 purpose - to obliterate the value of the US dollar and bring the world under 1 currency.

You can take it for what it's worth (considering the source) but in some circles people are raising serious questions about the Federal Reserve System (which is neither Federal nor does it really have any reserves, they say) and the willing and lucrative participation of certain legislators such as Chris Dodd and Barney Frank in writing the regulations. Something about some real sweetheart deals, all perfectly legal but completely immoral. Has the Federal Reserve ever even been audited? Certainly not in decades. Some have tried to get one but were denied.

I am further troubled by the number of Obama appointments who have had tax issues and others with other problems. For that matter it is fair game to mention that while Hillary Clinton has not been found guilty of criminal misconduct she also has a history of questionable business dealings. So much for being on a high moral note. Why isn't there a position for Edwards? He may have cheated on his wife but he broke no laws nor did he have his stock broker play both positions of an options contract for his benefit. Or shall we forget Obama's commitment to keep former lobbyists out of policy making positions, only to find a couple of exceptions to grant not even a week after signing the executive order? Rolling Eyes So we seem to have a case of the fox guarding the hen house.

Blind massive spending on top of already massive debt will not save us. It's never worked and it never will. The concept is fundamentally flawed. I am only surprised at the speed of the Federal government to push us into insolvency. You want the economy to flourish? You indeed DO cut taxes. And even if you have a stimulus plan you cut spending elsewhere to pay for it. But this is not going to happen. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?   

Back to top Go down

Using Tornadoes to Generate Power?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: The Environment-
Jump to: