Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.

Go down 
+3
Artie60438
BigWhiteGuy
UrRight
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
UrRight

Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty
PostSubject: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/16/2009, 2:57 pm

Last edited by UrRight on 1/16/2009, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No reason. Me being ME.)
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/16/2009, 3:00 pm

Yes, the inauguration of the first black president is a historic event.
But is spending more money than anyone else in the history of the country on parties and celebrations really the way to celebrate that event? Shouldn't the inauguration of President Obama be vastly different?
I think of newspaper stories I've read over the years about young children who use their Christmas or birthday money and donate it to some charity for the homeless.
If they can see the need, why can't the president?
It would have been nice, for once, to see sacrifice begin with the White House.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 11:29 am

UrRight wrote:
Yes, the inauguration of the first black president is a historic event.
But is spending more money than anyone else in the history of the country on parties and celebrations really the way to celebrate that event? Shouldn't the inauguration of President Obama be vastly different?
I think of newspaper stories I've read over the years about young children who use their Christmas or birthday money and donate it to some charity for the homeless.
If they can see the need, why can't the president?
It would have been nice, for once, to see sacrifice begin with the White House.
I parallel this inauguration with Hurricane Katrina.

Many Americans have lost their homes, jobs, and their retirements. And all this President Elect can think of is a $150 million, five day par-tay.

Hurricane Katrina uprooted many people of New Orleans. They lost their homes, basically. And the first thing they wanted to do was to insure that Mardi Gras was not cancelled.

Priorities people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 11:39 am

I love the fact that he is having not one, no, not one, but 10 inaugural balls! Wow! Does any incoming president need more than one especially during these economic times??
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 11:50 am

Ohhmama wrote:
I love the fact that he is having not one, no, not one, but 10 inaugural balls! Wow! Does any incoming president need more than one especially during these economic times??
Must have hired Stevie Wonder for the entire five days. And speaking of Stevie Wonder, do you think he knows how ridiculous he looks?
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 12:51 pm

Make no bones about it. For $150 million, you can build three, maybe four (depending on location) brand new, from the ground up schools.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:00 pm

If you can build three or four, think of how many more can be improved in inner cities with that money?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:03 pm

Ohhmama wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/23/AR2008122302792.html

Number: Despite the clamor to be part of the historic celebration, the Obama team has kept the number of balls to a manageable 10 -- the same number Ronald Reagan attended for his second inauguration in 1985.
Bill Clinton, Mr. Irrepressible, set the record with 14 balls in 1997; George W. Bush went to eight in 2001 and nine for his second go-round.

Super Tuesday: As during the primaries, lots of states will be lumped together. The balls are traditionally organized by region, so everyone from, say, all the Southwest will be placed in the same ballroom. No word yet which states will be placed at which venues -- but we promise you that every ball will be crammed to the rafters.

(A word to the wise: Tell your out-of-town buddies that scoring a ticket is just the first step. In 1997, hundreds of guests stood outside Union Station -- some without coats -- for more than two hours when D.C. fire marshals closed the doors.)
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:04 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
If you can build three or four, think of how many more can be improved in inner cities with that money?
THEN it would be appropriate to wear that Obama T-Shirt to school. THEN he can say he accomplished something. Isn't that Wright, Oprah?
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:06 pm

party42 wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/23/AR2008122302792.html

Number: Despite the clamor to be part of the historic celebration, the Obama team has kept the number of balls to a manageable 10 -- the same number Ronald Reagan attended for his second inauguration in 1985.
Bill Clinton, Mr. Irrepressible, set the record with 14 balls in 1997; George W. Bush went to eight in 2001 and nine for his second go-round.

Super Tuesday: As during the primaries, lots of states will be lumped together. The balls are traditionally organized by region, so everyone from, say, all the Southwest will be placed in the same ballroom. No word yet which states will be placed at which venues -- but we promise you that every ball will be crammed to the rafters.

(A word to the wise: Tell your out-of-town buddies that scoring a ticket is just the first step. In 1997, hundreds of guests stood outside Union Station -- some without coats -- for more than two hours when D.C. fire marshals closed the doors.)
George W. Bush's second inauguration only cost $40million. Quite reasonable, wouldn't you say?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:12 pm

Second inauguration...second? Hell no I don't think that is reasonable at all.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:14 pm

party42 wrote:
Why not? Just because you didn't like him as a President, don't you think he was entitled to an inaugural celebration?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:29 pm

I'd have more respect if during these times Obama said-

ya know what? Yes we need to have an inauguration party, but we don't need to spend over $100 M on my inauguration. As part of my CHANGE platform, seeing that hundreds of thousands have lost their jobs, and hundreds of thousands have lost their homes, the bailouts put on the backs of taxpayers, I'm not going to spend so much. Also, instead of spending all this money, I'm going to donate it back to various charities, schools, etc. as part of the "day of service" to show this is how our country needs CHANGE.....

Nah, just another thing CHANGE-ing is the cost of partying going up...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:34 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
party42 wrote:
Why not? Just because you didn't like him as a President, don't you think he was entitled to an inaugural celebration?

One inauguration was fine. As I recall this country was at war....why not keep the second inauguration at a minimum? What was there to celebrate?
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:36 pm

party42 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
party42 wrote:

One inauguration was fine. As I recall this country was at war....why not keep the second inauguration at a minimum? What was there to celebrate?
Clue time: This country is still at war. Two of them.
P.S. I did not support or vote for George W. Bush. I am NOT a Republican, or a Democrat. I'm just a private citizen with a shitload of money, living in Calumet City, Illinois. Did you see me at the Barrett-Jackson auctions last week?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:46 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
party42 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
party42 wrote:

Clue time: This country is still at war. Two of them.
P.S. I did not support or vote for George W. Bush. I am NOT a Republican, or a Democrat.

No need for sarcasm BWG, I am well aware we are still at war X2. I look at this celebration in D.C. as not only a celebration of the 44th President, the first black President, but also as a light at the end of the tunnel with both wars.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:52 pm

party42 wrote:

No need for sarcasm BWG, I am well aware we are still at war X2. I look at this celebration in D.C. as not only a celebration of the 44th President, the first black President, but also as a light at the end of the tunnel with both wars.

Party,I'm celebrating the end of the Bush maladministration as much as I'm celebrating Obama's inauguration.
Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Countdown%20(2)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:53 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
party42 wrote:

Party,I'm celebrating the end of the Bush maladministration as much as I'm celebrating Obama's inauguration.
Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Countdown%20(2)

Lots of people are doing the same thing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 1:55 pm

party42 wrote:
I'm not being sarcastic. I'm trying to make a point. With all that is going on here and around the world, I personally think it inappropriate to spend such an obscene amount of money to inaugurate this guy. The fact that he is black makes no difference (his words) so why drag it out for five days to the tune of $150 million. That's crazy. Especially considering that Wednesday morning, he has to go to work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 2:11 pm

Well maybe you are right BWG. Will he at least be able to redeem himself in your eyes if he is able to pull this country out of the mess we are in?

I'm willing to wait and see what happens.

If in four years we are still in a hugh mess I will be the first to say, he screwed up since day one.

I have a question for you. How would you expect D.C. to handle the millions of people that are arriving there from all over the country to witness history?
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 2:16 pm

party42 wrote:
Well maybe you are right BWG. Will he at least be able to redeem himself in your eyes if he is able to pull this country out of the mess we are in?

I'm willing to wait and see what happens.

If in four years we are still in a hugh mess I will be the first to say, he screwed up since day one.

I have a question for you. How would you expect D.C. to handle the millions of people that are arriving there from all over the country to witness history?
Obama has nothing to prove to me. It is the Congress that worries me. Looks like a rocky start. Get rid of Nasty Pelosi.
I haven't got a clue about crowd control.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 2:26 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:

Obama has nothing to prove to me. It is the Congress that worries me. Looks like a rocky start. Get rid of Nasty Pelosi.

BWG,Unfortunately the same 2 obstructive clowns,Mitch McConnell and John Boehner,are still leading the Republican side of the aisle. You'd think that with the way they've managed to help lead their party over the cliff they would have been replaced by now. Maybe when they get spanked again in 2010 they'll get a clue.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 2:29 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:

BWG,Unfortunately the same 2 obstructive clowns,Mitch McConnell and John Boehner,are still leading the Republican side of the aisle. You'd think that with the way they've managed to help lead their party over the cliff they would have been replaced by now. Maybe when they get spanked again in 2010 they'll get a clue.
Exactly, but like I said, it isn't so much who is President, but who is influencing Congress. That's the only way it will get done.
So, how about that Mayoral contest(?) in Calumet City?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 2:59 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:

So, how about that Mayoral contest(?) in Calumet City?[/b][/color]

I don't know that much about it,I live in Lansing. We'll be having our own political wars since Mayor Podgorski has to leave office due to term limits. Never a dull moment,huh? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty1/19/2009, 3:03 pm

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200901170003

However, buried in a recent New York Times article published one week before the controversy erupted over the cost of Obama's inauguration, the newspaper reported that in 2005, "the federal government and the District of Columbia spent a combined $115.5 million, most of it for security, the swearing-in ceremony, cleanup and for a holiday for federal workers" [emphasis added].
You read that correctly. The federal government spent $115 million dollars for the 2005 inauguration. Keep in mind, that $115 million price tag was separate from the money Bush backers bundled to put on the inauguration festivities. For that, they raised $42 million. So the bottom line for Bush's 2005 inauguration, including the cost of security? That's right, $157 million.

Looks like some of us compared apples to oranges
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.   Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one. Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama'Inauguration - Wish we had reputable reporters like this one.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next