Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

THIS is what you do with garbage.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 9:09 am

Generating electricity(?) is one thing, but taking care of two major problems is another.
The Times wrote:
Search for a biofuel plant site continues

BY BILL DOLAN
bdolan@nwitimes.com
219.662.5328 | Saturday, January 10, 2009

CROWN POINT | East Chicago is now in the mix of communities being considered
for construction of a $210 million biofuel project, joining Lowell and
Merrillville among the possible communities being discussed.

Earl Powers, president and chief executive officer of Powers Energy One,
said Thursday he plans to talk next week with officials of the three
municipalities to discuss possible sites to construct facilities to
convert municipal garbage into ethanol.

East Chicago Mayor George Pabey will meet with Powers to discuss the matter, East Chicago spokesman Damian Rico said Friday.

"We haven't made any decisions," Rico said.

Powers said he has narrowed the search for his proposed garbage-to-ethanol
plant to those three communities because all have rail service, which
he said will be needed to ship the product.

Merrillville Town Councilman Shawn Pettit said Powers met earlier with town officials to
discuss property tax abatements and other incentives for sites located
in his council district, which includes undeveloped parcels zoned
industrial in the town's southeastern panhandle along Mississippi,
Colorado and Clay streets near railroads and U.S. 30.

Lowell Town Council President Phillip Kuiper said last month his community is
eager to discuss a possible site because of the prospect of hundreds of
construction and permanent jobs the plant would generate.

Powers said he hopes to make a decision before the end of the month and break ground later this year.

Picking a site could galvanize renewed opposition to the project by
environmental critics who contend it will add a new layer to the
region's pall of industrial pollution.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 9:44 am

They should consider one in Gary. They have 2,000 abandoned buildings, and could turn them into energy. It's already got railroad tracks..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 9:50 am

I love it;
Quote :
renewed opposition to the project by
environmental critics

They'd rather create new pollution elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 9:56 am

Bill B wrote:
I love it;
Quote :
environmental critics

There were two different companies that made proposals for the garbage to ethanol plant. It is said that the other company whose process wasn't chosen has a cleaner way to process the trash.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 10:15 am

sparks wrote:
Bill B wrote:
I love it;
Quote :
environmental critics

There were two different companies that made proposals for the garbage to ethanol plant. It is said that the other company whose process wasn't chosen has a cleaner way to process the trash.
Fine. If there are two companies, then build two plants. Garbage is ONE natural resourse we will never run out of. Plenty of garbage to go around.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 12:42 pm

UrRight wrote:
They should consider one in Gary. They have 2,000 abandoned buildings, and could turn them into energy. It's already got railroad tracks..

I agree, but mostly because I do not want the smell of such a plant in my backyard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 1:32 pm

UrRight wrote:

That is what I thought, there is enough unused areas in Gary, put the plant there...

gosh the last thing I wanted moving back to this area was to have an ethanol plant in my back yard. Would having something like this in our town have a negative effect if we ever decided to sell our home?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 1:41 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
UrRight wrote:

That is what I thought, there is enough unused areas in Gary, put the plant there...

gosh the last thing I wanted moving back to this area was to have an ethanol plant in my back yard. Would having something like this in our town have a negative effect if we ever decided to sell our home?

I understand what you are saying mama but the fact is, it has to go some where. See, everyone wants alternative fuel but only if the plants aren't in their back yards. Unfortunantly everyone has a "back yard".

Urright has said she feels sorry for the people of Gary and has been doing what she can to help, at least as far as their Mayor goes, but then in the next breath she says, put the plant in Gary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 1:52 pm

I know what you are saying, but the fact is Gary has an abundant of areas that are not being utilized. Put the plant there and give the Gary's citizens first priority at getting jobs at that plant.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 1:58 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
I know what you are saying, but the fact is Gary has an abundant of areas that are not being utilized. Put the plant there and give the Gary's citizens first priority at getting jobs at that plant.
That's sort of what they did about ten years ago in Dixmoor, Illinois. They built a "state of the art" (I hate that term) incinerator, and picked Dixmoor because of it's poverty level, and thus, created jobs.

Correction: Technically it was built in Robbins, IL....next door to Dixmoor.

Last edited by BigWhiteGuy on 1/10/2009, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 2:22 pm

LucyVP wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:
That's sort of what they did about ten years ago in Dixmoor, Illinois. They built a "state of the art" (I hate that term) incinerator, and picked Dixmoor because of it's poverty level, and thus, created jobs.
Was the incinerator project successful? Has the project created enough jobs to be a benefit to the community?
The incinerator is still in operation. But, true to Illinois' politics, many of the municipals that signed onto using it, went to landfills because the rates kept rising. Most employees are from Robbins.

Correction: Technically it was built in Robbins, IL....next door to Dixmoor.
The Robbins incinerator closed in October 2000 and has not reopened as of May 2001. However, the Treasurer continued to make distributions to
Robbins into 2001.
Senate Bill 724, passed by the General Assembly in May 2001, amends the Public Utilities Act to allow Robbins to continue to receive Fund distributions if the
incinerator is closed. As of June 15, 2001, the Governor had not signed the legislation.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/10/2009, 3:41 pm

LucyVP wrote:
Was that a tire incineration facility? Wasn't there a large tire fire back about that time? I remember a while back there was a fire that blackened the sky and filled the air with a most disgusting odor.
And, with the majority of employees from Robbins; which if I recall correctly is economically equivalent to Dixmoor, did the facility bring assistance to the communities?
The tire facility was near Chicago Heights.
The Robbins facility did work out for the towns but, closed because of operating costs. It's probably a big flea market now.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   1/11/2009, 3:30 pm

party42 wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:
UrRight wrote:

I understand what you are saying mama but the fact is, it has to go some where. See, everyone wants alternative fuel but only if the plants aren't in their back yards. Unfortunantly everyone has a "back yard".

Urright has said she feels sorry for the people of Gary and has been doing what she can to help, at least as far as their Mayor goes, but then in the next breath she says, put the plant in Gary.

cheers To get rid of the abandoned buildings, to provide jobs, and to clean up the environment. Give the residents jobs, decent paying jobs.

As mama said.

Anyway, as far as sticking up for Gary, I started thinking how I likened it to Korea..one reporter went there and did a report on it. They (the people of North Korea) don't like the way they live, but post pictures of their leader (forgot the quack's name) as if he's GOD. They live in poverty, he controls how they live. So, akin that to the Superior Clay, he runs the city no different. He controls how his property-tax-abiding citizens live, dwelling on, and depending on Glen Park, or those by the Dunes to cover his lifestyle. They need to de-annex from Gary, and make Gary responsible for itself.

One positive way to this is to include this plan to park it THEIR backyard. The only other option is to keep Gary the way it is, and it will never change. The citizens in Gary are not all that bad. Some are, and we do always hear the negative. We know who the problem is..Clay.
He's no different than Blago.

So, I was simply saying it would be a great place for those who really want to go to work in Gary, and it's a good option. The mayor is a different matter...which I am still forwarding every article to that address supplied by Geromino..every PT and Times article referring to him and his arrogance toward his residents and those who don't deserve to be treated the way they are by him.

Mostly about the broken ambulances, the police cars (6) that disappeared, and also his happystance chance of "dancing with Michelle Obama" and 2,000 pix's his son took of abandoned buildings, and "I'm gonna bring money back!" This guy is sick as hell. If I was so proud of what I accomplished, and what still needed to be done, I wouldn't be exposing the lousy side of me, by presenting pix's of 2,000 abandoned buildings. Also the fact that the equipment needed to demolish them, is sitting there. Too lazy to get your azz in gear and bulldoze them down yourself? I wouldn't see this as a "I NEED MORE MONEY!"

He'll make a fool out of himself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THIS is what you do with garbage.   

Back to top Go down

THIS is what you do with garbage.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: The Environment-
Jump to: