Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty
PostSubject: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 2:09 pm

Aaha, I was praying for something like this to proove we are not responsible for trees belonging on public parkways in front of our property, between the street and sidewalk.

I intend to find out about this through "The Fixer," or call the company mentioned in the article. I knew there was a law out there, didn't know where, but when I see every other town clipping, chipping, knocking down trees that are half dead, that damage cars parked in a public street, I knew it wasn't up to me to pay the cost for its removal.

Read on:

http://www.southtownstar.com/business/zimmermann/1344050,122308fixer.article

Winkler's Tree Service

Vince Winkler, of Winkler's Tree Service, deserves a Good Guy award. He came to my rescue when I had a dispute with village officials over who was financially responsible for removing a diseased tree that was encroaching on my property.

I called Mr. Winkler to request an estimate. He inspected the tree, gave me the estimate, but advised that I should challenge ownership of the tree. He even offered to lend me a book from his personal library on tree law (yes, there is such a field!). Two days later, the book arrived in the mail. I studied it, copied pertinent pages, included the material in my formal response to the village, and promptly mailed his valuable book back to his office.

I was grateful for his generous assistance, which was offered even though it meant no business for his company. Because of Vince Winkler, I won my legal dispute and saved myself considerable expense!

Last edited by UrRight on 1/6/2009, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 2:19 pm

I've always known the city is the ones responsible for the trees in the parkway. I have even seen them take down the wrong tree before. Go figure.

My neighbor had 2 trees in the park way, one was dead, one was huge, lovely and gave off the shade she needed for her house and shade garden. She called the city to remove the dead tree and plant another and guess what they did? Yep...they cut the wrong tree down and left the dead one! Needless to say she was not too happy. The city reimbursed her by planting 2 new trees and gave her $500. worth of plants from a nursery here in Crown Point.

She should have shade again in about 20 years.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 2:26 pm

Party42, I've argued with Hammond (on the board) about how I need a tree removed. It is obviously dying, and so is the neighbor's. Her tree and my tree sit on each side of my driveway, on the parkway. The concrete leading from the street to the sidewalk and also the sidewalk itself, is so buckled up, I fear even shoveling it, because it's safer to walk on ten feet of snow than to trip on ice and a buckled up sidewalk.

I was told it was a public sidewalk, not my responsibility. I as told it was on city parkway, not my responsibility. I don't own that. The argument got kind of disputable and I dropped the subject.

Now I ran across this article, and I sure am going to contact that firm. Maybe google the book. My brothers were certified arborists, and both confirmed that the city is responsible for the tree and sidewalk replacement.

That is, if they really care how it looks, and are concerned about being sued if someone trips over the buckled up sidewalk. I'm not legally obligated to pay half its costs, per my brothers. This article convinced me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 2:28 pm

Have you actually called city hall?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 2:31 pm

P.S. - a branch fell on my car parked away from the tree, but still got hit. The cost to remove the dent/rust (now) and repaint was not worth it. Same happened to a neighbor across the street, but she took pix's and had her insurance company handle it.

I was told on NWITimes forum it was my responsibility. That I would have to pay half. I knew that was baloney.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 4:22 pm

No, not until I get ahold of that book..and do the same as the person did, that posted under the "Fixer".

I also stand corrected...I meant that I was told it was my responsibility, the tree & sidewalk on the forum(s). Now I knew my rights, I just needed back-up.

Once I get ahold of the "Tree Laws" book and that guy, I'll present the case.

There's more to what I want accomplished. Sidewalks got replaced in various places - like down the block from me. Trees being seen removed by the city in certain spots, the guys doing the chopping told me there was a year's wait. But I got so many different responses to this issue...I laid off of it.

I knew there had to be something out there to prove a town/city is responsible for public parkways and upkeep on trees/sidewalks. I hope that this guy can help me out.

Last summer I stopped when I saw a couple outside their home, on a corner, right off Hohman, near Gostlin. After asking questions, they told me they had to pay the guy to tear down the huge tree that was dangling over wires, and it cost them over $1,200.00. It was on a parkway. That isn't right. They said they repeatedly called Nipsco and Hammond, and ended up paying out of their pocket, because of their concern of the wires going through the center of the tree...and feared the worse if lightening struck. Now, that's just not right.

Nipsco and the city of Hammond should have taken care of that tree. Not a homeowner. It was on public property. But, here we go again...they'll tell me I'm wrong...watch.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 4:28 pm

Call the Park Dept. for tree removal. I did hear there was about a year long list though.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 5:59 pm

What about the sidewalk replacement? It is buckled from the tree roots. They mentioned I would have to pay 50 percent. One block north, they got brand new sidewalks and a street, too.

Maybe they have plans to re-do this block, but they sure should. There are no curbs to speak of. Crumbled.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 8:28 pm

Ask your city council member about the sidewalks and street. They are the ones that decide which streets get re-done.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty1/6/2009, 8:31 pm

Call your councilwoman about the condition of the street and tree...thats what they are there for!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)   So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!) Empty

Back to top Go down

So, There IS such a thing as "TREE LAWS!" (on Public Parkways!)
Page 1 of 1