Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blue Lives Matter

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/26/2016, 10:20 am

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

You are omitting the fact that the African-American "murdered by police" was "murdered" by an African-American.
Why did you leave that part out?

Wow - my question to you is why is that even relevant?

Acknowledging that fact pretty much ruins the desired narrative of The Big Bad Racist Cop.
Omitting that fact, however, leaves anyone who doesn’t look too closely at the story free to assume that it was once again a case of The Big Bad Racist Cop gunning down The Innocent Black Man just for sport.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/26/2016, 11:36 am

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

You are omitting the fact that the African-American "murdered by police" was "murdered" by an African-American.

I had the exact same thought when I saw it.
So please explain it to us,happy.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/26/2016, 10:14 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

I had the exact same thought when I saw it.
So please explain it to us,happy.

It was explained to you in the previous post.
Pay attention.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/26/2016, 10:59 pm

happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

[b]Acknowledging that fact pretty much ruins the desired narrative of The Big Bad Racist Cop.
Omitting that fact, however, leaves anyone who doesn’t look too closely at the story free to assume that it was once again a case of The Big Bad Racist Cop gunning down The Innocent Black Man just for sport.
Once again you've managed to project your own warped views on racism into the discussion where there was none. What's even more amazing is that after all this time discussing the issue you don't seem to have a clue as to what it's about.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/26/2016, 11:27 pm

Charlotte officer did not activate body camera until after Keith Scott had been shot
Quote :
Bamberg said that, beyond being a violation of department policy, the officer’s failure to turn on his camera prevented the collection of significant evidence that would have shed light on what happened. Had the officer turned his camera on as soon as he exited his vehicle, for example, it could have captured key video that may have shown more clearly what Scott was doing inside his truck and if a weapon was in his hand before he got out of the vehicle.

“Information that we could have had is forever gone because of this officer’s failure to follow department policy and procedures,” Bamberg said. “Those policies exist for a reason, and there is a reason the CMPD equips its officers with body cameras – because body cameras provide visual evidence so that when tragic things do happen we don’t have to question exactly what happened.”

“This is just one example of the things that went wrong in this interaction,” he said. “This is another example of something that CMPD did not do correctly.”
Another cop that needs to start looking for another job.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/27/2016, 4:00 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

Once again you've managed to project your own warped views on racism into the discussion where there was none.

If the person who had been shot was white, would this even be a topic of discussion?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/27/2016, 6:48 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Once again you've managed to project your own warped views on racism into the discussion where there was none.

If the person who had been shot was white, would this even be a topic of discussion?
Sure,why not? However since white people rarely get automatically shot those cases don't surface too often.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/29/2016, 6:50 pm

happy jack wrote:

………

Scott's death sparked two days of rioting in Charlotte, North Carolina's largest city, with protesters dismissing police officers' claim that Scott holding a gun.

………

Broken windows, overturned cars, and looted 60 inch TVs = Justice.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/30/2016, 12:03 pm

happy jack wrote:
happy jack wrote:

………

Scott's death sparked two days of rioting in Charlotte, North Carolina's largest city, with protesters dismissing police officers' claim that Scott holding a gun.

………

The majority of protesters were peaceful. There will always be a small subsection looking to take advantage of a situation.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty9/30/2016, 5:59 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
happy jack wrote:

………

………

The majority of protesters were peaceful. There will always be a small subsection looking to take advantage of a situation.

Pants up, don't loot!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/2/2016, 11:52 am

I bet I know his favorite hat...
Accused Iowa cop killer Scott Michael Greene taken into custody
Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Reuters1-800x430
Quote :
Police in Iowa said on Wednesday they have captured a man suspected of killing two police officers hours earlier as they sat in their patrol cars in what authorities called separate and unprovoked attacks.

Scott Michael Greene, who is 46 and white, was taken into custody after police named him as their suspect in the ambushes, a police spokeswoman in Urbandale, Iowa said.

Police said they found the first slain officer’s body about 1:06 a.m. (2.06 a.m. ET) in Urbandale, an affluent Des Moines suburb, and the second about 20 minutes later about two miles (3 km) away, in Des Moines. Police declined to release the names of the officers awaiting notification of their families.

It was unclear what provoked Wednesday’s attacks, Des Moines police department spokesman Paul Parizek told a news conference prior to Greene’s arrest, adding that “we may never know.” But it appeared the suspect had a recent run-in with police.

A 10-minute video posted on YouTube last month by a user calling himself Scott Greene showed an interaction with officers following an incident at a sports stadium in which he described holding up a Confederate battle flag during the playing of the U.S. national anthem. He is heard claiming that he was assaulted.

Reuters was unable to immediately confirm whether the video was made by the suspect, whose face does not appear in it. It records a male voice arguing with police over the incident.

The Confederate flag is a racially charged symbol for its association with the pro-slavery South in the U.S. Civil War.
Guess whose sign this guy had in his yard?
Quote :

Grant Rodgers Verified account
‏@GrantMRodgers

Neighbor tells me that shooting suspect Scott Michael Greene put this Trump sign in his yard approx 2 weeks ago.
Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 CwRC2tJVMAAzUFR
I think we chalk this up to good old home grown right-wing terrorism.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/3/2016, 10:01 am

Artie60438 wrote:

Quote :
Police in Iowa said on Wednesday they have captured a man suspected of killing two police officers hours earlier as they sat in their patrol cars in what authorities called separate and unprovoked attacks.

Scott Michael Greene, who is 46 and white, was taken into custody after police named him as their suspect in the ambushes, a police spokeswoman in Urbandale, Iowa said.

Police said they found the first slain officer’s body about 1:06 a.m. (2.06 a.m. ET) in Urbandale, an affluent Des Moines suburb, and the second about 20 minutes later about two miles (3 km) away, in Des Moines. Police declined to release the names of the officers awaiting notification of their families.

It was unclear what provoked Wednesday’s attacks, Des Moines police department spokesman Paul Parizek told a news conference prior to Greene’s arrest, adding that “we may never know.” But it appeared the suspect had a recent run-in with police.

A 10-minute video posted on YouTube last month by a user calling himself Scott Greene showed an interaction with officers following an incident at a sports stadium in which he described holding up a Confederate battle flag during the playing of the U.S. national anthem. He is heard claiming that he was assaulted.

Reuters was unable to immediately confirm whether the video was made by the suspect, whose face does not appear in it. It records a male voice arguing with police over the incident.

The Confederate flag is a racially charged symbol for its association with the pro-slavery South in the U.S. Civil War.
Quote :

‏@GrantMRodgers

Neighbor tells me that shooting suspect Scott Michael Greene put this Trump sign in his yard approx 2 weeks ago.

Well, well.
Looks as if
Advocate for the murder of police officers60438 gots hisself a brand spankin' new hero!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/3/2016, 11:58 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

‏@GrantMRodgers

Well, well.
Looks as if
Advocate for the murder of police officers60438 gots hisself a brand spankin' new hero!
Had the killer been a Muslim or African American you would have been doing jumping jacks and cartwheels,hypocrite.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/3/2016, 2:56 pm

Advocate for the murder of police officers60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

‏@GrantMRodgers

Well, well.
Looks as if
Had the killer been a Muslim or African American you would have been doing jumping jacks and cartwheels,hypocrite.

Sorry, but, unlike you, I never have, and never will, make excuses for or rationalize the actions of those who would assassinate police officers.

Some might say they brought this on themselves...
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/10/2016, 3:00 pm

Here ya go, Advocate for the murder of police officers60438.
A big, fat consolation prize to soothe you after the election.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/2-police-officers-ambushed-and-shot-in-pennsylvania;-1-killed/1600014/

2 POLICE OFFICERS AMBUSHED AND SHOT IN PENNSYLVANIA, 1 KILLED

Two police officers in western Pennsylvania were shot, one fatally, in an ambush-style attack early this morning, state police said.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/10/2016, 9:37 pm

happy jack wrote:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/2-police-officers-ambushed-and-shot-in-pennsylvania;-1-killed/1600014/

Two police officers in western Pennsylvania were shot, one fatally, in an ambush-style attack early this morning, state police said.
Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Cwiklinski
Shooter identified as Michael Cwiklinski, 47

Please accept my sincere condolences. The fact the killer doesn't appear to be a Black man or a Muslim must be heartbreaking for you.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/11/2016, 8:28 am

Please accept my sincere condolences. The fact the killer doesn't appear to be a Black man or a Muslim must be heartbreaking for you.

Oh, heavens no! Please accept my sincere condolences to you for the fact that one of the officers survived.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty11/12/2016, 10:51 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Cwiklinski
Shooter identified as Michael Cwiklinski, 47

Turns out that most cop killers are white. This is from last May....
Majority Of Police Killed In 2016 Were Shot By White Men, Where Is The Media Coverage?
[quote] Would it shock you to learn that the number of police who've been shot and killed in 2016 is up an astounding 59% from where it was this same date last year? Seventeen police officers have already been shot and killed in 2016, by mid-May. Only 10 had suffered that fate by May 10th, 2015.

The drastic increase shocked the hell out of me. While I primarily track, study and report the number of people killed by police, I still follow police fatalities closely. Contrary to popular belief, despising police brutality does not mean I despise police officers. I appreciate all public servants and have both a police officer and a longtime Secret Service member in my family. They are amazing, kind-hearted men who do great work. I also despise gun violence and loathe every single fatality suffered because of it.

Something's afoot, though, on why we're not hearing much about this shocking increase in the number of officers who've been shot and killed so far in 2016. Sadly, I think I have the answer.

Seventy-one percent of police who've been shot and killed this year weren't murdered by black men with cornrows or hoodies. They weren't gunned down by Latino gang members in low-rider drive-bys. Those stereotypes would be too convenient. Instead, 71% of police who've been shot and killed so far in 2016 have been killed by good old-fashioned white men.

Back in February, when police began protesting Beyoncé, I noticed then that 7 out of the 8 officers who had been killed so far were killed by white men. My gut was that most of them weren't Beyoncé fans.

The trend continues. This past weekend police protested a Beyoncé concert in Houston. In the meantime, white men continue to murder police officers all over the country.

In fact, right around the same time police were protesting Beyoncé, a white man, Curtis Ayers, shot and killed Officer Brad Lancaster of Kansas City. Lancaster was a decorated Air Force veteran and a loving father of two.

The last officer before that to be shot and killed was Officer Steven Smith, also a married father of two. Lincoln Rutledge, the white man who killed him, had also burned down his wife's home.

A month before that, Evan Dorsey, a white man who had been in and out of prison since 2008, shot and killed Deputy Carl Koontz, a married father with an 8-month-old baby.

You haven't seen these stories on Fox News or Breitbart because they don't fit their narrative of blaming police violence on the Black Lives Matter movement or President Obama. Because "scary" black faces can't be flashed across their screens, they don't even tell the stories at all — which suggests they don't care so much about police, but about using police deaths like a political football.

You best believe that if a 59% rise in the number of police officers shot and killed in the line of duty could be blamed on immigrants, Mexicans, or black folk, it would be a regular conservative talking point.

Instead, Donald Trump has never mentioned these fallen officers on the campaign trail because it may have very well been his supporters who did the shooting for all he knows.

It appears that blue lives only matter to popular conservatives when they are taken by somebody they can easily demonize. In the meantime, police groups continue to protest a black woman when a black woman hasn't killed an officer in years.

Welcome to America. 2016.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty12/9/2016, 3:02 pm

http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/08/osu-activists-complain-terrorist-was-wrongly-shot-by-police/

OSU Activists Complain Terrorist Was Wrongly Shot By Police

An Ohio State University (OSU) student who attempted to go on a stabbing spree last month before being gunned down by a nearby officer has been added to a protest list of non-whites “wrongly” shot and killed by a police.
The OSU Coalition for Black Liberation is a campus protest group on OSU’s main campus in Columbus. The group held a rally Wednesday to protest the death of young black men at the hands of police, and read off a list of non-white men who had been killed by police in the last two months. Among the names read off was that of Abdul Razak Ali Artan.
Artan, of course, is the man who attempted to kill his classmates last week by attacking them with his car and then going on a stabbing spree. He was gunned down by OSU policeman Alan Horujko, who arrived on the scene just minutes after the rampage began and swiftly neutralized Artan.
Organizers of the protest said that Artan’s particular actions were irrelevant.
“In some cases, the deceased may have committed acts of violence against others before they were killed,” gender studies student Maryam Abidi said at the event, according to The Lantern. “Perhaps they were domestic abusers, perhaps they threatened or killed others. This possibility is not something to shy away from. The protest against police brutality extends to the innocent and the guilty alike, because we know that no matter the crime, justice and due process don’t come from a cop’s bullet.”
Pranav Jani, an associate professor at OSU, said it was important to understand why Ali engaged in his act of violence, even if one didn’t condone it. In a Facebook message posted prior to his rampage, Ali suggested he was lashing out over the oppression of Muslims around the world.
Jani also defended Stephanie Clemons Thompson, an OSU staffer who urged sympathy for Artan just a day after the attack.
“Even compassion has been politicized, as we saw with the diversity officer who’s being attacked for daring to say let’s show compassion towards a fellow Buckeye who made tragic, tragic mistakes,” Jani told The Lantern.

Ignorant assholes.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty12/9/2016, 3:19 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-georgia-cop-killing-considered-armed-dangerous/story?id=44054034&yptr=yahoo

Second Police Officer Dies From Shooting Near Georgia Southwestern State University

Dec 8, 2016, 3:29 AM ET

Looks as if Advocate for the murder of police officers60438 got hisself an early Christmas present.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty12/21/2016, 6:37 pm

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/443266/cnn-fans-anti-cop-hate-cites-flawed-study-police-shootings

CNN Fans More Hatred of Cops, in Touting Flawed Study

by HEATHER MAC DONALD December 21, 2016 6:48 PM

Pundits ignore the real reason for the racial disparity in deaths by police shooting. CNN is making a desperate pitch to further enflame the ideological war on cops while it still has a sympathetic ear in the White House. The CNN website is promoting a laughably incomplete study of police use of fatal force under the headline “Black men nearly 3 times as likely to die from police use of force, study says.” Utterly ignored in the study and in CNN’s write-up is any mention of violent-crime rates, which vary enormously by race and which predict officer use of force. Absent such a crime benchmark, analysis of police actions using population data alone, as this latest study has done, is worse than useless; wielded as a bludgeon in the current anti-cop crusade, it is dangerously irresponsible. James Buehler, a public-health professor at Drexel University, found documentation in public records for 2,285 civilian deaths at the hands of the police from 2010 and 2014. Of those deaths, 96 percent were among males. This gender disparity is magnitudes greater than any racial disparities in officer use of force, but no cop-hater ever complains that males are massively overrepresented in police-civilian interactions. The reason for this double standard is that when it comes to males, it is acceptable to acknowledge, however implicitly, the vast gender disparities in criminal offending; it is not acceptable, however, to acknowledge racial disparities in criminal offending. And the victimology racket, of course, takes no interest in males per se unless they are minorities or gender-fluid. Buehler’s public-health-data sources presumably contain no information on the circumstances around the deaths — whether the decedents had been attacking the officer, for example, or threatening another civilian. Nor does he suggest that such information would be relevant. He simply reports that even though non-Hispanic white males account for the largest number of deaths at the hands of the police, the number of deaths per million of population was “2.8 times higher among black men and 1.7 times higher among Hispanic men, respectively.” This finding, CNN tells us, is “disturbing.” CNN is apparently not “disturbed” at the fact that blacks die of homicide at six times the rate of whites and Hispanics combined. Who is killing them? Not the police, and not whites, but other blacks. Black males between the ages of 14 and 17 commit homicide at 10 times the rate of white and Hispanic male teens combined. Black males between the ages of 18 and 24 commit homicide at 9.3 times the rate of white and Hispanic males of the same age. The elevated black death-by-homicide rate is overwhelmingly a function of the astronomical black homicide-commission rate; in fact, a much smaller proportion of black homicide victims (4 percent) die from police shootings than the white and Hispanic homicide victims (12 percent) who die from police shootings. Perhaps CNN could send some reporters to Chicago to understand violent street crime and its consequences for officer use of force. Last weekend, there was a quadruple fatal shooting; 15 other people, including a 9-year-old boy, were shot over a 24-hour period. Three of those 19 shooting victims were shot inside a “party bus” after an argument escalated and one of the arguers pulled out a gun and shot a 22-year-old man in the head and a 33-year-old man in the chest. A third man was shot in the hand. Just ordinary party behavior. So far this year, 4,257 people have been shot in Chicago, one person every two hours. The police have shot 25 people, about 0.6 percent of the total, almost all armed and dangerous. Does CNN think that the police shootings victims should mirror the city’s population ratios, even though whites commit 1 percent of all shootings and blacks commit 80 percent? (Blacks and whites are each a little less than a third of Chicago’s population.) Don’t expect CNN or the criminology profession to ever address the actual reason for the disparity: black crime rates, which produce unacceptably high black victimization rates. The elevated black violent-crime rate is responsible for the fact that blacks overall are three times as likely to die from police shootings as whites are. That disparity is actually less than what black violent-crime rates would predict. In other words, the incidence of violent crime is what is driving the incidence of police interactions that can lead to officer use of force. Over the last decade, black males made up 42 percent of all cop killers whose race is known, though they are only 6 percent of the nation’s population. A police officer is more than 18 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer. Should police officers avoid dealing with black males? In fact, they put their lives on the line every day to protect the law-abiding residents of high-crime neighborhoods. There is zero chance that that massive racial disparity in civilian murders of police officers will not repeat itself in the rate at which black gun offenders come into contact with officers, and the rates at which blacks assault officers and resist arrest. In New York City, blacks commit 75 percent of all shootings, though they are only 23 percent of the population. Add Hispanic shootings to black shootings, and you account for between 97 percent and 98 percent of all shootings in New York City. Whites commit at most 2 percent of all shootings, though they are 34 percent of the population. This means that virtually every time a New York City cop is confronting a suspect in another mindless drive-by shooting, with the attendant risk that the officer will himself use lethal force, he is confronting someone black or Hispanic. CNN and its left-wing academic sources can come up with only two possible explanations for the Buehler findings: racism or poverty. Jack Glaser, a public-policy professor at UC Berkeley, opines that it is almost impossible to “generate an explanation” for Buehler’s results that “does not include an influence of racial bias.” Glaser invokes “implicit bias” shoot/don’t-shoot lab experiments, in which civilian subjects are quicker to shoot armed black targets than armed white targets. Glaser does not mention the fact that police officers do not exhibit such alleged “implicit bias.” Buehler himself tells CNN that poverty may be the explanation for racial disparities in death-by-officer rates. But black violence far exceeds that of other ethnic groups that are similarly poor, such as recent Asian immigrants. Buehler tells CNN that his study, published in the reliably left-wing American Journal of Public Health, shows that “ongoing attention to the underlying reasons for this disparity [in officer shooting deaths] is warranted.” Don’t expect CNN or the criminology profession to ever address the actual reason for the disparity: black crime rates, which produce unacceptably high black victimization rates. And in the meantime, activists will be certain to use CNN’s write-up to spew more poisonous anti-cop propaganda into the body politic.

Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty12/21/2016, 7:29 pm

Always glad to see you reading peer reviewed, published research.  You should do more of it. For everyone else, the study can be found here.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty1/6/2018, 3:48 pm

https://www.salon.com/2018/01/06/swatting-didnt-kill-a-man-police-did/

Swatting” didn’t kill a man, police did

Police accountability needs to be a part of the conversation in the shooting of an innocent man after a prank call

ALYONA MINKOVSKI
01.06.2018•10:00 AM0 Comments

Andrew Finch, a 28-year-old father of two, was shot and killed after walking out of his front door. The police officer who fired the weapon was part of a SWAT team called out to what they believed was a violent situation that involved a shooting and kidnapping. It turns out the emergency call to authorities was just a hoax, and Finch an innocent victim.

The story has been covered widely since it happened on Dec. 28 in Wichita, Kansas. The suspected prankster has been arrested, his criminal background repeatedly cited, and one headline after another has branded “swatting” as a deadly prank. “Swatting” is when someone calls emergency services anonymously to report a fake situation with the intention of getting a SWAT team or large police presence to respond to the address given.

But is it the “swatting” that’s deadly, or the police officer who pulled the trigger?

“There’s a reason why swatting is such an effective tactic,” said Kade Crockford from the ACLU of Massachusetts in an interview last week for “Salon Now.” “It’s because police departments across the country have largely, in the dark, militarized to the extent that they are really hair-trigger ready to be deployed by a malicious actor like this in a prank that unfortunately, in Kansas, ended in someone’s death."

SWAT teams are primarily used in the war on drugs, often in lower income and minority communities. An ACLU study from 2014 found that 80 percent of the raids they analyzed were carried out to execute a search warrant. The allegedly violent incident that police were responding to and the amount of media attention paid to the raid in Kansas makes it an outlier.

“This is obviously a very highly publicized SWAT raid that ended very badly. SWAT raids end badly all the time in the United States,” said Crockford.

The government doesn’t keep across-the-board statistics on SWAT raids, but a New York Times investigation found that at least 81 civilians and 13 law enforcement officers died in raids of this kind from 2010 through 2016, with many others maimed or wounded.

“We really have to look at police department policies and procedures with respect to what happens after those SWAT teams are deployed,” said Crockford. “We have to ask, as a society, what are we doing or not doing at a systemic level that enables these kinds of mistakes to take place.”

Despite a renewed national focus on excessive police force, thanks in large part to the Black Lives Matter movement, courts have shown that the law usually sides with the officers involved if they believed their lives were in danger.

Radley Balko has written extensively about police militarization and no-knock raids. In his latest article at the Washington Post about the Kansas incident, he wrote about the conditioning of police to believe they are increasingly under attack, despite statistics showing the opposite to be true. “It puts lives at unnecessary risk. It increases the chances that a police officer will see an innocent gesture as a furtive one,” wrote Balko.

As much as “swatting” is a waste of public resources and an atrocious prank that deserves attention, it’s irresponsible and disingenuous to leave police accountability out of the conversation about the case in Kansas.

Words fail me.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty1/7/2018, 4:57 pm

happy jack wrote:
https://www.salon.com/2018/01/06/swatting-didnt-kill-a-man-police-did/

Swatting” didn’t kill a man, police did

Police accountability needs to be a part of the conversation in the shooting of an innocent man after a prank call

ALYONA MINKOVSKI
01.06.2018•10:00 AM0 Comments

Andrew Finch, a 28-year-old father of two, was shot and killed after walking out of his front door. The police officer who fired the weapon was part of a SWAT team called out to what they believed was a violent situation that involved a shooting and kidnapping. It turns out the emergency call to authorities was just a hoax, and Finch an innocent victim.

The story has been covered widely since it happened on Dec. 28 in Wichita, Kansas. The suspected prankster has been arrested, his criminal background repeatedly cited, and one headline after another has branded “swatting” as a deadly prank. “Swatting” is when someone calls emergency services anonymously to report a fake situation with the intention of getting a SWAT team or large police presence to respond to the address given.

But is it the “swatting” that’s deadly, or the police officer who pulled the trigger?

“There’s a reason why swatting is such an effective tactic,” said Kade Crockford from the ACLU of Massachusetts in an interview last week for “Salon Now.” “It’s because police departments across the country have largely, in the dark, militarized to the extent that they are really hair-trigger ready to be deployed by a malicious actor like this in a prank that unfortunately, in Kansas, ended in someone’s death."

SWAT teams are primarily used in the war on drugs, often in lower income and minority communities. An ACLU study from 2014 found that 80 percent of the raids they analyzed were carried out to execute a search warrant. The allegedly violent incident that police were responding to and the amount of media attention paid to the raid in Kansas makes it an outlier.

“This is obviously a very highly publicized SWAT raid that ended very badly. SWAT raids end badly all the time in the United States,” said Crockford.

The government doesn’t keep across-the-board statistics on SWAT raids, but a New York Times investigation found that at least 81 civilians and 13 law enforcement officers died in raids of this kind from 2010 through 2016, with many others maimed or wounded.

“We really have to look at police department policies and procedures with respect to what happens after those SWAT teams are deployed,” said Crockford. “We have to ask, as a society, what are we doing or not doing at a systemic level that enables these kinds of mistakes to take place.”

Despite a renewed national focus on excessive police force, thanks in large part to the Black Lives Matter movement, courts have shown that the law usually sides with the officers involved if they believed their lives were in danger.

Radley Balko has written extensively about police militarization and no-knock raids. In his latest article at the Washington Post about the Kansas incident, he wrote about the conditioning of police to believe they are increasingly under attack, despite statistics showing the opposite to be true. “It puts lives at unnecessary risk. It increases the chances that a police officer will see an innocent gesture as a furtive one,” wrote Balko.

As much as “swatting” is a waste of public resources and an atrocious prank that deserves attention, it’s irresponsible and disingenuous to leave police accountability out of the conversation about the case in Kansas.

Words fail me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/31/us/wichita-swatting-barriss.html

Fatal ‘Swatting’ Episode in Kansas Raises Quandary: Who Is to Blame?

Both the Wichita police and the man in the house were pawns in a hoax called “swatting,” in which people report made-up crimes in hopes of creating a spectacle and getting a SWAT team deployed. And Thursday’s iteration of the ruse, which is thought to have been the first to end in a fatality, raised the thorny question of who, ultimately, bears responsibility for an innocent man’s death in a prank gone horribly wrong.

“This is a national trend,” said Deputy Chief Troy Livingston of the Wichita Police Department at a news conference last week. “We’re not the only community dealing with this type of incident.”

Swattings can cause serious disruption and property damage, but usually no bloodshed. There are tragic exceptions: a police chief who was shot and wounded by a homeowner in Oklahoma, a man seriously injured by rubber bullets in Maryland. But the lethal end to the shooting in Kansas, which claimed the life of Andrew Finch, a 28-year-old father of two, creates a new legal quandary without easy answers.

There is no 'quandary' as to who holds the ultimate responsibility for this man's death.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty1/8/2018, 1:41 pm

Like the previous 2 posts from the Trump Worshiping Troll,More evidence of police incompetence...
113 Suburban Cop Shootings, Zero Discipline They aggressively confronted the mentally ill, fired weapons during high-speed chases and shot bystanders as well as other cops. But they were never punished or retrained.

Quote :
In south suburban Robbins, 13-year-old Jakeem Booker was standing in the front doorway of his aunt’s house when he was mistakenly shot in the back with a stray bullet from the gun of a village police officer who was aiming for a fleeing tire rim thief.
Farther south in Glenwood, a belligerent retiree named Robert Lyons was killed by a police sniper’s bullet following an eight-hour standoff in which he pleaded 32 times for the SWAT team surrounding his house to leave. Instead, they used an armored truck to blow through his front door and clear the sniper’s line of sight.
Across Cook County in Evanston, a scuffle between three officers and 32-year-old Desrick York, armed with a switchblade knife, ended in a flurry of police bullets that took York’s life as well as the left ring finger of one of the officers, Adam Nawotka.
Booker, Lyons — and even officer Nawotka — are among dozens of people shot under questionable circumstances by suburban police in Cook County, where officers often make life-or-death decisions under sometimes lax and often unenforced policies regarding the use of deadly force, a Better Government Association/WBEZ investigation has found.
They have shot at fleeing and unarmed suspects, wounded innocent bystanders and even fellow officers caught in a crossfire. They have fired from, and at, moving vehicles during high speed chases, ramped up confrontations with the mentally ill and tampered with evidence, the investigation found.
Still, in 113 police shootings in the Cook County suburbs since 2005, records show not a single case led to disciplinary action for an officer who made a mistake. Not one lost their job. Not one criminal case was filed against an officer.
Many of these cases will be detailed in this four-part series that offers a vivid portrait of a lack of oversight, remediation, or even self-reflection in some of these cash-strapped community police departments, even as they deal with some of the same big-city problems that grab national headlines just down the road in Chicago.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Lives Matter   Blue Lives Matter - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue Lives Matter
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next