Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When Liberals Invade the Gym

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
happy jack

When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty
PostSubject: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/10/2014, 1:31 pm

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131043333

EFS Take on Planet Fitness: QFT

As you may have guessed from the witty title, this article is about Planet Fitness and the injustices they perpetrate across this great land. Everything Planet Fitness does could go in the “Sick of Your Gym” section of our Q&A. In case you are unaware, their entire philosophy is based on creating a “judgment free zone,” a friendly gym, a comfortable place where people will enjoy working out. They are an insult to anyone who trains seriously, or even semi-seriously. And let’s not forget that their equipment is purple!
Planet Fitness has been around for a while, so why is this article being written now? This is simply a response to attacks by Planet Fitness on anyone who doesn’t fit their mold. Take a look at some commercials from Planet Fitness’s 2010 ad campaign:

This first ad clearly suggests that all bodybuilders are idiots who only know how to “Lift things up and put them down.” We’ve all probably met someone like this, but the stereotype does not apply to all bodybuilders. For every stupid bodybuilder there’s probably one hundred normal ones. This applies to meatheads in general, not just bodybuilders.

This second ad shows a stereotypically self-obsessed bodybuilder making his pecs dance according to his pen strokes. I realize bodybuilding is about aesthetics, but come on! Again, for every guy like this there’s hundreds of normal guys. Well, as “normal” as you can be if you’re a bodybuilder.

And this final gem depicts another big guy struggling to tie his shoes in the locker room. He’s using the old “bunny ears” method that most people use when they’re four. His real name is Matthew Willig, he’s an actor, and he played tackle in the NFL for 14 seasons, arguably the position on the field that requires the most brains. Oh man, strong people are all so stupid, right?
Why so much hate on bodybuilders and strong people? Because Planet Fitness is a “judgment free zone,” that’s why. According to the opinion and philosophy of Planet Fitness, big, strong people judge other people for being fat, skinny, and weak. They’ve built their brand around the idea that they’re a shelter, a safe place from “intimidating” people who actually care about improving themselves. The gym even has something called a “Lunk Alarm,” which is a tornado siren that goes off when someone “Grunts, drops weights, does unapproved lifts such as deadlifting, or lifts too much weight.” That’s right, at Planet Fitness you can’t make any noise when you move a weight and if you do they will kick you out. They’ve got a proven track record of doing so. In fact, a corrections officer from Poughkeepsie, NY, was removed from the gym by police for breathing hard when he was lifting and for the subsequent disagreement that took place. He was removed not for grunting, but FOR BREATHING HEAVILY! All of the gym’s policies are enforced with vigor, as if there’s an iron-fisted dictator running the place. No chalk, no grunting, no excessive noise, no unapproved lifts, no boots, no do-rags, no bandanas, no muscle shirts (whatever that means). If you violate one of the rules, even out of ignorance or by mistake, you’re sure to face a stiff reprimand. The Lunk Alarm and the pitbull-ish employees only serve to embarrass any members who don’t follow the Planet Fitness philosophy of being “regular.”
I’ll even give Planet Fitness the benefit of the doubt when it comes to dropping weights. Try not to drop them, it’s a simple rule that you’ll find in a lot of commercial gyms. But the whole “unapproved lifts” rule really gets to me. If deadlifts are unapproved, think of all the other lifts that patrons are unable to do. I’m assuming that olympic lifts are out of the question, as are good mornings, pin presses, t-bar rows, and free squats. In fact, most Planet Fitness gyms don’t even have squat racks. They do have massive signs above their cardio machines that read, “NO CRITICS.” Yes sir, at Planet Fitness there are no judgmental people and no critics. Unless, of course, you’re a bodybuilder, powerlifter, strongman, or just a serious trainee who wants to work harder than the morbidly obese middle aged woman on the stairclimber over there. If that’s the case, you’ll be judged right out the door.

On top of wiener-izing their clientele and outfitting their gyms with equipment fit for a nursing home, Planet Fitness has yet another trick up their sleeve. The first Monday of every month is Pizza Day. Unlimited pizza for members, all day. They also have a Bagel Day, and on their own website they mention that they hand out over one million Tootsie Rolls per month to their members. That’s it, I’m calling conspiracy on this one! They set up this “judgment free” gym for “regular” people -no pressure, no contracts, no goals- and they give their clients free pizza and tootsie rolls? It’s a scheme, and they’re either the most wicked businesspeople on earth or the smartest. Or maybe both.
Imagine that I’m a drug dealer and you’re addicted to crack. You want to get clean but I keep dangling crack rocks in your face, telling you that “No one will judge you.” It’s going to be pretty hard for you to break that addiction when I keep fueling it, isn’t it? Even if I didn’t give you any crack, I’m certainly not helping you overcome your problem. Planet Fitness does the same thing, but instead of crack they throw pizza and candy in front of their clients’ faces. Even if the gym-goers choose not to eat the pizza, they’re still paying to go to a gym that doesn’t encourage them to change their lifestyle. What better way to keep clients coming back to your gym than to give them free fatty foods and create an environment geared towards not helping them lose weight? Maybe I should get in on this racket…
In closing, to those of you who spit in the face of places like Planet Fitness: Keep doing what you do. Lift heavy, drop weights, use chalk, grunt, scream, vomit, swear, and bleed. It’s a sad day when people choose a gym because they want it to be comfortable. If you want comfort, go to a spa. The whole idea of going to the gym, regardless of your training goal, is to make yourself uncomfortable! If Planet Fitness is for regular people, then I guess EliteFTS is for the freaks. If you’re serious about your training and your results, we salute you. Stay the course!
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/11/2014, 2:05 pm

Quote :

Says who? I must have missed it, where does it say liberals invaded some gym?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/11/2014, 3:10 pm

edge540 wrote:
Quote :

Yes, it looks like you missed it.
Right over your head,
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/11/2014, 4:45 pm

edge540 wrote:
Quote :

You're right. It doesn't. Ignorant troll strikes out again.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/11/2014, 10:26 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
edge540 wrote:
Quote :

You're right. It doesn't. Ignorant troll strikes out again.

Resident eunuch still unable to address me directly?
I didn’t say that the article says it. That commentary was mine.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/12/2014, 1:00 am

When Liberals Invade the Gym 043c331d12b418288b2429f8df1cf09f1_zps8cf87404
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/12/2014, 2:17 am

Heretic wrote:
When Liberals Invade the Gym 043c331d12b418288b2429f8df1cf09f1_zps8cf87404

Well.
A picture of a falling building.
That settles that.
I guess that means that you won whatever debate you thought you were having with me.
Or something like that.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty1/12/2014, 7:31 pm

happy jack wrote:
That commentary was mine.

When Liberals Invade the Gym Roflmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Liberals Invade the Gym   When Liberals Invade the Gym Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1