Gun Control

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/11/2012, 4:32 pm

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
They, after all, are contributing more to the violence than those who are legally purchasing firearms and ammunition.
Bullshit
Those who are legally purchasing firearms and ammunition ARE indeed contributing to the violence:
Quote :
How Federal Law Helps Arm Chicago Street Gangs

By Ian Millhiser on Aug 27, 2012

The weekend, Chicago Sun Times reporter Frank Main published an interview with “Chris,” a Chicago high school student and gang member and gunslinger who explains exactly how easy it is for he and his fellow gang members to obtain firearms, even if they have criminal records:

“I will make a call and say I need a gun. I will ride down the street on my bike and get it — five minutes.” . . . Chris calls them the “gun guys.” The cops have another name for them: “straw purchasers.”

“Gun guys” have clean records allowing them to obtain Illinois firearm owner’s identification cards. With FOID cards, they can legally buy guns at stores in the suburbs.

Then they illegally sell them to gang members banned from owning guns because of their criminal backgrounds.

Most of the guns recovered in crimes in Chicago were bought in suburban gun stores, according to a new University of Chicago Crime Lab study of police gun-trace data.

As Chris points out, many of these straw purchasers’ full-time job is trading on their clean criminal record to buy guns and then resell them at a markup to dangerous felons. Such professional straw purchasers should be easy to catch. Because federal law requires most gun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before they can buy a firearm, it should be an easy matter for law enforcement to check whether the same person is purchasing guns over and over and over again.

Except that the so-called “Tiahrt Amendments” thwart such checks by requiring the Justice Department to destroy the record of any gun buyer whose purchase was approved within 24 hours. As a result, law enforcement is often blind to straw purchasers who are flooding the streets with guns right under their noses.

Nor is this the only aspect of federal law that “gun guys” can take advantage of. An estimated 10 percent of all guns used in a crime by juveniles were sold at a gun show or flea market where many of the dealers do not have to conduct criminal background checks on their customers. Indeed, federal officials are often forced to charge straw purchasers with paperwork violations due to the absence of an appropriate law criminalizing unlicensed gun trafficking.

As ThinkProgress reported on Friday, 19 people were shot in Chicago last Thursday evening. The night after we published that post, 17 more people were shot — 4 of them fatally.

It's really awesome that the the NRA and the gun loons support protecting the straw purchasers.

We needz moar gunz!

Straw purchasers should be punished according to the law.
Law-abiding citizens purchasing guns and ammunition should not be punished at all.
You are delusional if you seriously think that a tax raise on guns or ammunition, as proposed by Preckwinkle, would deter for even a second someone desiring an untraceable gun.
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/11/2012, 7:09 pm

happy jack wrote:

Yeah right.
Too bad republicans, the NRA and the gun loons don't feel that way.
Quote :
What are the Tiahrt Amendments?

The Tiahrt Amendments, named for their original sponsor, U.S. Representative Todd Tiahrt (R-KS), are provisions attached to federal spending bills that make it harder for law enforcement officers to aggressively pursue criminals who buy and sell illegal guns.
•The amendments restrict cities, states and even the police from fully accessing and using Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) gun trace data, which can show where illegal guns are coming from, who buys them and how they get trafficked across state lines and into our communities. Learn More

•UPDATE: The Tiahrt restrictions are blocking Congressional oversight of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Explosives & Firearms (ATF) and its controversial “Operation Fast & Furious.” According to allegations, ATF allowed guns to be illegally trafficked to Mexico, possibly putting law enforcement officers in danger. ATF is prevented by Tiahrt from releasing trace data connected to Fast & Furious, forcing Congress to request the data from the Mexican Government.

•The Tiahrt provisions require the Federal Bureau of Investigation to destroy certain background check records within 24 hours, making it nearly impossible to use those records to help solve crimes or to identify gun buyers with criminal histories who were mistakenly approved. Learn More
•The Tiahrt Amendments also block ATF from requiring gun dealers to conduct inventory checks to detect loss and theft, which law enforcement says is a dangerous back channel source for criminals who are in the market for illegal guns. Learn More

For years, the Tiahrt Amendments have been standing in the way of law enforcement efforts to stop the flow of illegal guns to criminals. But now, a coalition of 350 mayors and 200 police chiefs have called for repealing these damaging restrictions.

Industry pressure hides gun traces, protects dealers from public scrutiny
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/23/AR2010102302996.html

Gun Sales Diverted To Criminals Triples As A Result Of Federal Amendments, Study Finds
http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-technology/2012/01/gun-sales-diverted-to-criminals-triples-as-a-result-of-federal-amendments-study-finds-1604203.html

Moar gunz!
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/11/2012, 8:22 pm

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Yeah right.

I don't speak for Republicans, the NRA, or the "gun loons", and they don't speak for me.
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/12/2012, 8:46 am

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Yeah right.

I don't speak for Republicans, the NRA, or the "gun loons", and they don't speak for me.

Uh huh, you simply support THEM.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/12/2012, 9:50 am

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Yeah right.

Right...it's just a coincidence that you parrot all their talking points Rolling Eyes
Quote :
[b]guns don't kill people, people kill people

Bumper-sticker slogan of NRA supporters, which states an obvious fact and insinuates that gun-control proponents are ignorant of it. It is grounded in the belief that gun-control would be ineffective because situations where someone would not have died if a gun had not been present do not arise or are much more rare than situations when fear of retaliation deters violence.
NRA guy: Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Regular person: Don't guns enable people to kill people?
NRA guy: No, that never happens.
Regular person: Statistics show much less gun violence in comparable countries with gun-control.
NRA guy: Using statistics is unfair.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guns%20don%27t%20kill%20people%2C%20people%20kill%20people
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/12/2012, 10:31 am

happy jack wrote:

edge540 wrote:

Who do I support?
I could not have voted for Rep. Tiahrt even if I had wanted to.
I do not belong to the NRA.
And, finally, by what mechanism could I possibly support "gun loons"?
You can stop making things up at anytime, edge.

Artie60438 wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guns%20don%27t%20kill%20people%2C%20people%20kill%20people

Using the Urban Dictionary as your source now, Artie?
My, how your credibility soars.

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/12/2012, 11:17 am

happy jack wrote:

Artie60438 wrote:

[b]Using the Urban Dictionary as your source now, Artie?
Just quoting your favorite NRA slogan. It's the same one or a derivative of it that you frequently use when cornered in a discussion.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/12/2012, 11:26 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Artie60438 wrote:

[b]Using the Urban Dictionary as your source now, Artie?
Just quoting your favorite NRA slogan. It's the same one or a derivative of it that you frequently use when cornered in a discussion.

That might make sense - if I was actually cornered. But, unfortunately for you, I'm not, and I have asked you time and again over the years to explain how that slogan is in any way incorrect.
Major fail on your part.
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/12/2012, 12:51 pm

happy jack wrote:
happy jack wrote:

edge540 wrote:

Who do I support?
I never said you voted for him. Do you support his amendments?
Quote :
Again I never said you did.
Do you support the NRA and their policies?
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/14/2012, 8:36 am

bump...
happy jack wrote:
happy jack wrote:

edge540 wrote:

Who do I support?
I never said you voted for him. Do you support his amendments?
Quote :
Again I never said you did.
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/14/2012, 12:26 pm

crickets
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/14/2012, 2:25 pm

edge540 wrote:
crickets

No, edge, not “crickets”.
It’s more a case of having a life beyond this forum (which you should probably try sometime) and placing a very low priority on worrying about whether some pinhead is sitting in front of his computer, wiping drool from his chin while waiting for me to answer his question.
That said, this is all I found on the actual text of the amendment, and I find nothing objectionable within it.
Which part or parts do you have a problem with?

* – Text of the Tiahrt Amendment:
That no funds appropriated under this or any other Act with respect to any fiscal year may be used to disclose part or all of the contents of the Firearms Trace System database maintained by the National Trace Center of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or any information required to be kept by licensees pursuant to section 923(g) of title 18, United States Code, or required to be reported pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (7) of such section 923(g), to anyone other than a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency or a prosecutor solely in connection with and for use in a bona fide criminal investigation or prosecution and then only such information as pertains to the geographic jurisdiction of the law enforcement agency requesting the disclosure and not for use in any civil action or proceeding other than an action or proceeding commenced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or a review of such an action or proceeding, to enforce the provisions of chapter 44 of such title, and all such data shall be immune from legal process and shall not be subject to subpoena or other discovery in any civil action in a State or Federal court or in any administrative proceeding other than a proceeding commenced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to enforce the provisions of that chapter, or a review of such an action or proceeding; except that this proviso shall not be construed to prevent the disclosure of statistical information concerning total production, importation, and exportation by each licensed importer (as defined in section 921(a)(9) of such title) and licensed manufacturer (as defined in section 921(a)(10) of such title):

edge540 wrote:

As to your question about the NRA, you'll really need to be more specific. If you would like me to address a particular policy of theirs, please provide the actual text of the policy in their wording, not yours or someone else’s interpretation of the policy, as you did with the Tiahrt amendment. Then I will do my best to answer your questions.
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 8:43 am

happy jack wrote:

No, edge, not “crickets”.
It’s more a case of having a life beyond this forum (which you should probably try sometime) and placing a very low priority...
Calm down big boy, no need for a hissy fit.

happy jack wrote:
That said, this is all I found on the actual text of the amendment, and I find nothing objectionable within it.
Which part or parts do you have a problem with?
Since you find nothing "objectionable" with the Tiahrt Amendments you obviously support them and the NRA.
I have already indicated with three sources as to why I have a problem with the Tiahrt Amendments- they protect the straw purchasers from being caught, charged and prosecuted.
They PREVENT the straw purchasers from being punished according to the law, something that you purportedly support:
Quote :

Like I said:

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 11:02 am

edge540 wrote:

Since you find nothing "objectionable" with the Tiahrt Amendments you obviously support them and the NRA.
I have already indicated with three sources as to why I have a problem with the Tiahrt Amendments- they protect the straw purchasers from being caught, charged and prosecuted.
They PREVENT the straw purchasers from being punished according to the law, something that you purportedly support:

You have indicated with three sources as to why they have a problem with the Tiahrt amendment, but you appear to be basing your objections on their opinions and interpretations of the amendment rather than basing your objections on the actual text of the amendment itself, which I have posted below. Could you please indicate which specific parts of the actual amendment (below) you object to and which specific parts prevent someone from being punished according to the law?

* – Text of the Tiahrt Amendment:
That no funds appropriated under this or any other Act with respect to any fiscal year may be used to disclose part or all of the contents of the Firearms Trace System database maintained by the National Trace Center of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or any information required to be kept by licensees pursuant to section 923(g) of title 18, United States Code, or required to be reported pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (7) of such section 923(g), to anyone other than a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency or a prosecutor solely in connection with and for use in a bona fide criminal investigation or prosecution and then only such information as pertains to the geographic jurisdiction of the law enforcement agency requesting the disclosure and not for use in any civil action or proceeding other than an action or proceeding commenced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or a review of such an action or proceeding, to enforce the provisions of chapter 44 of such title, and all such data shall be immune from legal process and shall not be subject to subpoena or other discovery in any civil action in a State or Federal court or in any administrative proceeding other than a proceeding commenced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to enforce the provisions of that chapter, or a review of such an action or proceeding; except that this proviso shall not be construed to prevent the disclosure of statistical information concerning total production, importation, and exportation by each licensed importer (as defined in section 921(a)(9) of such title) and licensed manufacturer (as defined in section 921(a)(10) of such title):

edge540 wrote:

As I am not a member of the NRA, I am not aware of their policies, although I’m sure they have many, some of with which I may agree and others with which I may disagree. I already said that I would need you to be specific as to which policies you would like me to address.
Think you can handle that?

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 11:27 am

happy jack wrote:

[b]As I am not a member of the NRA, I am not aware of their policies,
sigh Anybody buying this troll's bullshit?
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 11:30 am

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:

You have indicated with three sources as to why they have a problem with the Tiahrt amendment, but you appear to be basing your objections on their opinions and interpretations of the amendment rather than basing your objections on the actual text of the amendment itself, which I have posted below. Could you please indicate which specific parts of the actual amendment (below) you object to and which specific parts prevent someone from being punished according to the law?
No I can't. I do not have a law degree and therefore I can not interpret the legal mumbo jumbo in that one amendment(there is more than one amendment). I leave that up to the legal experts which is why I am basing my opinion and interpretation of the amendments on those three sources.

Quote :
As I am not a member of the NRA, I am not aware of their policies, although I’m sure they have many, some of with which I may agree and others with which I may disagree. I already said that I would need you to be specific as to which policies you would like me to address.

No problem, how do you feel about the gun show loophole?
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-07-gun-show-stings_N.htm?imw=Y

Last edited by edge540 on 10/15/2012, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 11:31 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Is it your claim that I am a member of the NRA?
If so, that would make you as wrong about this as you are about most everything else.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 11:53 am

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

No I can't. I do not have a law degree and therefore I can not interpret the legal mumbo jumbo in that one amendment(there is more than one amendment).

I don’t have a law degree, either, but I see nothing in the text of what I posted that backs your claim that, “they protect the straw purchasers from being caught, charged and prosecuted.” That is the only text I was able to find, but if there is more to the amendment that backs your claim, please post it and we will deal with it accordingly.

edge540 wrote:

I leave that up to the legal experts which is why I am basing my opinion and interpretation of the amendments on those three sources.

Good to see that you are willing to let others tell you what your opinion should be.

edge540 wrote:
Quote :

No problem, how do you feel about the gun show loophole?
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-07-gun-show-stings_N.htm?imw=Y

Great – a specific question. See how easy that was?
I have no knowledge as to the wording of these loopholes as they are written into law. Could you provide me with the actual text of these laws?
Back to top Go down
edge540

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 12:15 pm

Quote :
Good to see that you are willing to let others tell you what your opinion should be.
Nobody is telling me what my opinion should be, unlike you I'm basing my opinion on EXPERT legal opinion.
In other words I'm using common sense.
Unlike you, I don't pretend to know what this means:
Quote :
...required to be kept by licensees pursuant to section 923(g) of title 18, United States Code, or required to be reported pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (7) of such section 923(g)... (as defined in section 921(a)(9) of such title) and licensed manufacturer (as defined in section 921(a)(10) of such title)
Perhaps you can explain to us what that text means.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I know what this says:
Quote :

...the so-called “Tiahrt Amendments” thwart such checks by requiring the Justice Department to destroy the record of any gun buyer whose purchase was approved within 24 hours. As a result, law enforcement is often blind to straw purchasers who are flooding the streets with guns right under their noses...
The Tiahrt Amendments, named for their original sponsor, U.S. Representative Todd Tiahrt (R-KS), are provisions attached to federal spending bills that make it harder for law enforcement officers to aggressively pursue criminals who buy and sell illegal guns.
•The amendments restrict cities, states and even the police from fully accessing and using Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) gun trace data, which can show where illegal guns are coming from, who buys them and how they get trafficked across state lines and into our communities. Learn More

•UPDATE: The Tiahrt restrictions are blocking Congressional oversight of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Explosives & Firearms (ATF) and its controversial “Operation Fast & Furious.” According to allegations, ATF allowed guns to be illegally trafficked to Mexico, possibly putting law enforcement officers in danger. ATF is prevented by Tiahrt from releasing trace data connected to Fast & Furious, forcing Congress to request the data from the Mexican Government.

•The Tiahrt provisions require the Federal Bureau of Investigation to destroy certain background check records within 24 hours, making it nearly impossible to use those records to help solve crimes or to identify gun buyers with criminal histories who were mistakenly approved. Learn More
•The Tiahrt Amendments also block ATF from requiring gun dealers to conduct inventory checks to detect loss and theft, which law enforcement says is a dangerous back channel source for criminals who are in the market for illegal guns
Like I said, the amendments protect the straw purchasers.

Quote :
Could you provide me with the actual text of these laws?
enjoy
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Brady-Act-Gun-Buyer-Background-Checks.htm
These laws apply only to licensed firearms dealers not private citizens selling guns at gun shows, online or out of their trunk in the gun show parking lot.

THAT'S the "gun show loophole," Rambo.
So...
how do you feel about the gun show loophole?http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-07-gun-show-stings_N.htm?imw=Y

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Gun-Shows.htm

What do you think about the loophole letting people on the Terror Watch List buy guns?

Will The NRA Keep Supporting The Loophole Letting People On Terror Watch List Buy Guns?http://politicalcorrection.org/blog/201105100019

All this takes us back to what I said earlier:
Those who are legally purchasing firearms and ammunition ARE indeed contributing to the violence. Period.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 2:13 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Nope. But a gun nut like yourself who's always bragging about their expertise, defending the second amendment,and using NRA slogans and talking points would would have to be somewhat aware of the NRA's policies. That goes for even a lazy low-information slug like yourself.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 5:21 pm

edge540 wrote:

Unlike you, I don't pretend to know what this means:
Quote :
...required to be kept by licensees pursuant to section 923(g) of title 18, United States Code, or required to be reported pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (7) of such section 923(g)... (as defined in section 921(a)(9) of such title) and licensed manufacturer (as defined in section 921(a)(10) of such title)

I don’t know what that means, either, but, then again, I am not the one who made this claim about the Tiahrt amendment ….

edge540 wrote:

…. and refused to back it up. So, whenever you can tell me exactly which part of the Tiahrt amendment supports your claim, we can discuss it.
‘kay?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 5:46 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Nope. But a gun nut like yourself who's always bragging about their expertise, defending the second amendment,and using NRA slogans and talking points would would have to be somewhat aware of the NRA's policies. That goes for even a lazy low-information slug like yourself.

Of course I’m somewhat aware of some of their policies, but by no means all, or even more than a few. All I was asking of edge was for him to tell me which policies he wished to discuss.
Is that really so difficult for you to understand?

Artie60438 wrote:
But a gun nut like yourself who's always bragging about their expertise,

Whose expertise?
Who is this “they” of whom you speak?

Artie60438 wrote:
…. defending the second amendment

Do you have a problem with someone defending the Constitution?
Because that might explain a lot.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 5:53 pm

edge540 wrote:

…. how do you feel about the gun show loophole?

I believe that each state has the right to make and enforce its own laws unless said laws are deemed to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Court of the United States.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 6:21 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Of course I’m somewhat aware of some of their policies, but by no means all, or even more than a few. All I was asking of edge was for him to tell me which policies he wished to discuss.
No not at all. You clearly lied when you said
Quote :
I am not aware of their policies,
Carry on troll Sleep

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   10/15/2012, 7:16 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

No not at all. You clearly lied when you said
Quote :
I am not aware of their policies,
Carry on troll Sleep

Damn!!!!
Just when I thought I was about to get away with telling a big, fat, honkin’, intensely consequential, egregious lie, along comes Artie to expose me.
I have been shamed.
I have been shamed beyond redemption.
I have been shamed to the point that I have embarrassed both my ancestors and my descendants.
Good job, Artie.
No, not just good job, but great job.
Perhaps Scorpion will favor you with a cookie.
And perhaps Heretic will give you some milk to go along with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   

Back to top Go down

Gun Control
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 39Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: