Let Freedom Reign!


 
HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 10:28 am

Artie60438 wrote:
edge540 wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion,Next time you attend a Cubs game just remember that every dollar you spend is going to people who are funding just about everything you're against. http://electful.com/candidate/deb-fischer/issues/
This is interesting.
Rickets not only backs republicans but he also rails against earmarks and wasteful spending in the federal government while at the same time begging and holding his hand out to taxpayers.

Quote :
2010, Ricketts led a campaign against special-interest earmarks and wasteful spending in the federal government
His daughter,Laura Ricketts,is a lesbian,yet he supports homophobic candidates like Rick Santorum Rolling Eyes
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.php?name=Ricketts&state=&zip=&employ=&cand=&c2012=Y&sort=N&capcode=2svyj&submit=Submit+your+Donor+Query

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-ricketts-emanuel-0518-20120518,0,3285917.story

Joe Ricketts plays no role in the Cubs' operation.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 11:51 am

happy jack wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-ricketts-emanuel-0518-20120518,0,3285917.story

Joe Ricketts plays no role in the Cubs' operation.
Quote :
Joe Ricketts, the conservative billionaire founder of TD Ameritrade, whose family trust was used to buy the Cubs from Tribune Co., quickly sought to tamp down the controversy along with his children who run the day-to-day operations of the baseball club.
Quote :
But the political damage was done.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 12:02 pm

Meet Joe Ricketts: Billionaire Has Millions To Smear Obama, Demands Massive Taxpayer Subsidy For Baseball Stadium
Quote :
There is one area, however, where Ricketts is much more open to government spending. He’s seeking a massive government subsidy for the Chicago Cubs, which he owns with his family, to renovate Wrigley Field. Here is the deal the Ricketts family is seeking, via Crain's Chicago Business:
Quote :
That means $300 million is needed for the ballpark proper.

Half would come from the team, presumably in increased revenue from more signage inside Wrigley and retail and other entertainment in what amounts to a game-day carnival on Waveland Avenue on Wrigley’s north side and Sheffield Avenue to the east.

And half would come from $150 million or so in bonds to be retired with increased revenue from the existing city and Cook County amusement taxes on ticket sales. Specifically, debt service would get the first 6 percent in growth above a base level of around $15 million a year now.

But it’s a little more complicated than that.

The team also wants a 50 percent cut of any increase in amusement tax revenue growth above 6 percent. And unlike the bonds, which would be retired in 30 or 35 years, that would be forever.

So Joe Ricketts and his family not only want a $150 million subsidy directly from taxpayers but also a large chunk of tax revenue from the city in perpetuity. In other words, taxes from the City of Chicago would no longer go to roads, schools and police officers but also into Joe Ricketts pocket. Without this taxpayer welfare, the family will presumably let Cubs, which they acquired in a highly competitive bidding process in 2009, play in a stadium that is falling into disrepair.

Ricketts negotiating position seems completely at odds with his public stated political views. In a video posted by another organization he controls, Taxpayers Against Earmarks, Ricketts says “I think it’s a crime for our elected officials to borrow money today, to spend money today and push the repayment of that loan out into the future on people who are not even born yet.” Of course, that’s what he is attempting force the taxpayers of Chicago to do for the benefit of his team and his family.

At the same time, Joe Ricketts has plenty of disposable income available to attack Obama. A Ricketts spokesperson said future attacks on Obama would “be focused entirely on questions of fiscal policy.” Joe Ricketts, however, may want to focus on the fiscal policy of his baseball team. In 2011, the Cubs were “one of nine franchises in violation of MLB’s debt service rules.”
Still want to defend this grab for taxpayer money,Scorp?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 12:26 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Meet Joe Ricketts: Billionaire Has Millions To Smear Obama, Demands Massive Taxpayer Subsidy For Baseball Stadium
Quote :
There is one area, however, where Ricketts is much more open to government spending. He’s seeking a massive government subsidy for the Chicago Cubs, which he owns with his family, to renovate Wrigley Field. Here is the deal the Ricketts family is seeking, via Crain's Chicago Business:
Quote :
That means $300 million is needed for the ballpark proper.

Half would come from the team, presumably in increased revenue from more signage inside Wrigley and retail and other entertainment in what amounts to a game-day carnival on Waveland Avenue on Wrigley’s north side and Sheffield Avenue to the east.

And half would come from $150 million or so in bonds to be retired with increased revenue from the existing city and Cook County amusement taxes on ticket sales. Specifically, debt service would get the first 6 percent in growth above a base level of around $15 million a year now.

But it’s a little more complicated than that.

The team also wants a 50 percent cut of any increase in amusement tax revenue growth above 6 percent. And unlike the bonds, which would be retired in 30 or 35 years, that would be forever.

So Joe Ricketts and his family not only want a $150 million subsidy directly from taxpayers but also a large chunk of tax revenue from the city in perpetuity. In other words, taxes from the City of Chicago would no longer go to roads, schools and police officers but also into Joe Ricketts pocket. Without this taxpayer welfare, the family will presumably let Cubs, which they acquired in a highly competitive bidding process in 2009, play in a stadium that is falling into disrepair.

Ricketts negotiating position seems completely at odds with his public stated political views. In a video posted by another organization he controls, Taxpayers Against Earmarks, Ricketts says “I think it’s a crime for our elected officials to borrow money today, to spend money today and push the repayment of that loan out into the future on people who are not even born yet.” Of course, that’s what he is attempting force the taxpayers of Chicago to do for the benefit of his team and his family.

At the same time, Joe Ricketts has plenty of disposable income available to attack Obama. A Ricketts spokesperson said future attacks on Obama would “be focused entirely on questions of fiscal policy.” Joe Ricketts, however, may want to focus on the fiscal policy of his baseball team. In 2011, the Cubs were “one of nine franchises in violation of MLB’s debt service rules.”
Still want to defend this grab for taxpayer money,Scorp?



Joe Ricketts plays no role in the Cubs' operation.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

avatar

Posts : 1898

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 3:09 pm

Artie - If you really want to talk about the details of the plans to renovate Wrigley, then start a thread about it in the Sports Forum. I'm sure as hell not going to discuss it any further in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 5:05 pm

happy jack wrote:

Joe Ricketts plays no role in the Cubs' operation.
Rolling Eyes Other than it was his money that was used to purchase the team. Shocked
Quote :
In January 2009, a Ricketts family bid led by Thomas Ricketts was chosen as the winning bidder for the Chicago Cubs. The bid was estimated to total around $900 million for the team and related assets.[3] The sale was approved unanimously by the owners of the other 29 Major League Baseball teams that October.[4] Ricketts was introduced as the chairman of the Cubs on October 31, 2009. The transaction closed in late October 2009. All four siblings (Pete, Tom, Laura, and Todd) and both parents share interest in the team through their family trust.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_S._Ricketts

You can keep attempting to spin it all you want but the stain on the Cubs is there and isn't going away anytime soon. Tomorrows front page of the Sun-Times has Tom also desperately trying to spin his way out of this. Btw,yesterday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started despite picture perfect weather.

If Tommy really wants to clear his name and distance himself from his father he might want to think about getting out his checkbook and making a substantial donation to Barack Obama or the Democratic party.
lol!

Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 6:55 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Btw,yesterday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started despite picture perfect weather.




Yes, and I'm absolutely certain that it had nothing to do with the fact that for the previous week, the media have been warning of horrendous traffic tie-ups due to the NATO summit preparations.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
edge540

avatar

Posts : 1166

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/19/2012, 9:14 pm

happy jack wrote:
Joe Ricketts plays no role in the Cubs' operation.
Yes we know, he's more interested in getting right wing extremists like Richard Murdock and Scott Walker getting elected.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/20/2012, 6:10 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Btw,yesterday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started despite picture perfect weather.
[b]Yes, and I'm absolutely certain that it had nothing to do with the fact that for the previous week, the media have been warning of horrendous traffic tie-ups due to the NATO summit preparations.
40,200 came out last night. Another of your silly arguments goes up in smoke. How sad. cheers
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/20/2012, 7:12 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Another of your silly arguments goes up in smoke. How sad.



You’re right – my argument did go up in smoke.
But, unfortunately for you, so did yours.
How sad.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/20/2012, 10:36 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Another of your silly arguments goes up in smoke. How sad.
You’re right – my argument did go up in smoke.
True
Quote :
But, unfortunately for you, so did yours.
How sad.
False.
1) Friday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started.
2) There were less street closures on Friday then there were on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/20/2012, 11:42 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Another of your silly arguments goes up in smoke. How sad.
You’re right – my argument did go up in smoke.
True
Quote :
But, unfortunately for you, so did yours.
How sad.
False.
1) Friday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started.
2) There were less street closures on Friday then there were on Saturday.

False, my ass.
Your argument is that the attendance was low on Friday because of the Cubs’ association with Joe Ricketts and his politics.


Artie60438 wrote:
You can keep attempting to spin it all you want but the stain on the Cubs is there and isn't going away anytime soon....
.... Btw,yesterday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started despite picture perfect weather.

Nothing has changed in that respect, yet they were at near-capacity the next night.
Hence, your argument = smoke.




Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 10:29 am

edge540 wrote:
I ask you, did that blow up real good for Mittens and his race baiting hate mongers or what?
Can you explain how "race baiting" and "hate mongers" were involved in this particular scenario?
Back to top Go down
edge540

avatar

Posts : 1166

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 11:26 am

Tom Rickets explains it very well:
Quote :
Tom Ricketts "Repudiates" Race-Baiting President Obama Attack Ad Ideas His Dad Allegedly Commissioned

Joe Ricketts is reaping the whirlwind with today's New York Times story that he commissioned a study that would attack President Obama by bringing up the name of his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, in much the same way Rudy Giuliani based his presidential campaign on a noun, a verb and a 9/11 mention.

You know you've stepped in it big time when your son releases a statement trying to distance himself from the controversy. But that's what Cubs primary owner Tom Ricketts has done a few moments ago.

"As Chairman of the Chicago Cubs, I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year’s presidential campaign or in any setting—like my father has. My focus is on one of great American pastimes, baseball. Our team and every other MLB team are great examples of people of diverse backgrounds working together towards a common goal. My full-time focus is on making the Chicago Cubs a World Series champion preserving Wrigley Field and making the Chicago Cubs a great corporate citizen."

http://chicagoist.com/2012/05/17/tom_ricketts_repudiates_race-baitin.php
I agree with Tom Ricketts, do you?
Also Karl Rove thought it was stupid to bring up the old race baiting issue:
Quote :
Republican strategist Karl Rove blasted the now-rejected proposal that would have aired ads linking President Barack Obama to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

“Speaking from the perspective of the super PAC, you want to try to do things that you think will be helpful to the super PAC and not things that will be hurtful and, frankly, trying to dredge up Jeremiah Wright, right or wrong, after this issue was litigated four years ago by John McCain deciding not to litigate it was stupid,” Rove said on "Fox News Sunday.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2012/05/karl-rove-jeremiah-wright-ad-proposal-was-stupid-124000.html

So mr jack, do you think it would be stupid or should Mittens bring up Wright and make it an issue like Sean Hannity wants him to?

So did you enjoy the Sox sweep the Cubs? I did.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 12:00 pm

edge540 wrote:
Tom Rickets explains it very well:
Quote :
Tom Ricketts "Repudiates" Race-Baiting President Obama Attack Ad Ideas His Dad Allegedly Commissioned

Joe Ricketts is reaping the whirlwind with today's New York Times story that he commissioned a study that would attack President Obama by bringing up the name of his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, in much the same way Rudy Giuliani based his presidential campaign on a noun, a verb and a 9/11 mention.

You know you've stepped in it big time when your son releases a statement trying to distance himself from the controversy. But that's what Cubs primary owner Tom Ricketts has done a few moments ago.

"As Chairman of the Chicago Cubs, I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year’s presidential campaign or in any setting—like my father has. My focus is on one of great American pastimes, baseball. Our team and every other MLB team are great examples of people of diverse backgrounds working together towards a common goal. My full-time focus is on making the Chicago Cubs a World Series champion preserving Wrigley Field and making the Chicago Cubs a great corporate citizen."

http://chicagoist.com/2012/05/17/tom_ricketts_repudiates_race-baitin.php
I agree with Tom Ricketts, do you?
Also Karl Rove thought it was stupid to bring up the old race baiting issue:
Quote :
Republican strategist Karl Rove blasted the now-rejected proposal that would have aired ads linking President Barack Obama to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

“Speaking from the perspective of the super PAC, you want to try to do things that you think will be helpful to the super PAC and not things that will be hurtful and, frankly, trying to dredge up Jeremiah Wright, right or wrong, after this issue was litigated four years ago by John McCain deciding not to litigate it was stupid,” Rove said on "Fox News Sunday.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2012/05/karl-rove-jeremiah-wright-ad-proposal-was-stupid-124000.html

So mr jack, do you think it would be stupid or should Mittens bring up Wright and make it an issue like Sean Hannity wants him to?

So did you enjoy the Sox sweep the Cubs? I did.



For the record, I think it’s a stupid idea to resurrect it, too.
But the only “race baiting” and/or "hate monger(ing)"involved stems from the Reverend Wright’s statements themselves; it does not stem from one of Obama's opponents merely repeating or highlighting those statements.
Back to top Go down
edge540

avatar

Posts : 1166

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 12:04 pm

happy jack wrote:

For the record, I think it’s a stupid idea to resurrect it, too.

Why?
Back to top Go down
edge540

avatar

Posts : 1166

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 12:06 pm

WATCH: Strategist Behind Proposed Reverend Wright Attack Ad Has Long History Of Race-Baiting

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/05/17/485907/wright-ads-obama/
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 12:12 pm

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

For the record, I think it’s a stupid idea to resurrect it, too.

Why?

Because it was played out 4 years ago to no effect.

edge540 wrote:
WATCH: Strategist Behind Proposed Reverend Wright Attack Ad Has Long History Of Race-Baiting

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/05/17/485907/wright-ads-obama/

I don’t care what his “history” is.
Why is this a case of race baiting and hate mongering?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 12:31 pm

edge540 wrote:

So did you enjoy the Sox sweep the Cubs? I did.
It was awesome! Very Happy It was especially sweet despite Jeff Samardzija knocking Paul Konerko out of the series.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 12:37 pm

happy jack wrote:

For the record, I think it’s a stupid idea to resurrect it, too.
But the only “race baiting” and/or "hate monger(ing)"involved stems from the Reverend Wright’s statements themselves; it does not stem from one of Obama's opponents merely repeating or highlighting those statements.
Your hero Mittens not only took the bait but flat out lied about what Pres Obama said...
Quote :
Quote :
“I think again that the president takes his philosophical leanings in this regard, not from those who are ardent believers in various faiths but instead from those who would like America to be more secular,” Romney told Hannity in that interview. “And I’m not sure which is worse, him listening to Rev. Wright or him saying that we must be a less Christian nation.”

In the full quote, the president did not say that the United States is no longer a Christian nation; he said that the nation is made up of Christians, people of other faiths and nonbelievers.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/17/news/la-pn-romney-rev-wright-ads-the-wrong-course-for-a-pac-or-a-campaign-20120517
Back to top Go down
edge540

avatar

Posts : 1166

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 2:17 pm

happy jack wrote:
I don’t care what his “history” is.
Yes, I'm sure you don't. Having a track record of race baiting is insignificant to you. Why is that?

Quote :
Why is this a case of race baiting and hate mongering?
Because it's an insidious attempt at smearing the president again by bringing up a racially divisive issue after it was attempted four years ago.


Quote :
"As Chairman of the Chicago Cubs, I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year’s presidential campaign or in any setting"

Again, I agree with Tom Ricketts, do you?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

avatar

Posts : 1898

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 4:29 pm

Yeah, well let's hear your response to this, Artie...

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Another of your silly arguments goes up in smoke. How sad.
You’re right – my argument did go up in smoke.
True
Quote :
But, unfortunately for you, so did yours.
How sad.
False.
1) Friday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started.
2) There were less street closures on Friday then there were on Saturday.

False, my ass.
Your argument is that the attendance was low on Friday because of the Cubs’ association with Joe Ricketts and his politics.

Artie60438 wrote:
You can keep attempting to spin it all you want but the stain on the Cubs is there and isn't going away anytime soon....
.... Btw,yesterday's Sox-Cubs game was the lowest in attendance since the series started despite picture perfect weather.

Nothing has changed in that respect, yet they were at near-capacity the next night.
Hence, your argument = smoke.

Jack was correct when he pointed out that your argument about lower attendance on Friday was based on the incorrect premise that fans stayed away because of the Joe Ricketts dust up. He also copped to being wrong about his contention involving increased traffic.

But unless I missed it, you've yet to reciprocate. In all fairness, you should.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 7:07 pm

Scorpion wrote:

Jack was correct when he pointed out that your argument about lower attendance on Friday was based on the incorrect premise that fans stayed away because of the Joe Ricketts dust up.
He was? Can you prove that? If you recall the only day I referenced was Friday and the fact is that it was the lowest attended game in the series history.


Last edited by Artie60438 on 5/21/2012, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5966

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 7:11 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Jack was correct when he pointed out that your argument about lower attendance on Friday was based on the incorrect premise that fans stayed away because of the Joe Ricketts dust up.
He was? Can you prove that?
Yes, Artie - thousands upon thousands of people decided to boycott the Cubs on Friday night, then woke up the next morning and said, "Never mind."


Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9362

PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    5/21/2012, 7:26 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Jack was correct when he pointed out that your argument about lower attendance on Friday was based on the incorrect premise that fans stayed away because of the Joe Ricketts dust up.
He was? Can you prove that?
Yes, Artie - thousands upon thousands of people decided to boycott the Cubs on Friday night, then woke up the next morning and said, "Never mind."
If you recall the only day I referenced was Friday and the fact is that it was the lowest attended game in the series history. I never made a claim that people were boycotting,did I? I simply presented it as an interesting coincidence.

You of course immediately decided to claim it was because of NATO despite you not having any proof of that theory whatsoever.

Sorry you got your hopes up but this one goes to me. Better luck next time Very Happy



Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska    

Back to top Go down
 
Cubs Owner Bankrolls Tea Party Senate Upset Winner in Nebraska
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: