Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paula Deen gave me diabetes

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/22/2012, 11:53 am

Don’t know a thing about Paula Deen, and I’ve never seen her show. But I find it amusing to see the commentary blaming her for showing people how to prepare food that is not particularly healthy for them rather than placing the blame on those who deserve it - the ones who are shoveling this food into their faces without moderation.

-Edited by Admin to comply with fair use rules of New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/opinion/sunday/bruni-paula-deens-revelation.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

By FRANK BRUNI
Published: January 21, 2012

In the pages of their gorgeously illustrated cookbooks or on their delectably edited TV shows, they assemble and plunge headlong into lavish feasts, oohing as they baste, cooing as they carve and swooning over the side dishes. We respond as intended. We hanker and yearn.

Here’s what we don’t see: the yogurt and berries they had for breakfast; the salads and grilled vegetables they eat on nights off; the portion of each lovingly shot dish that they don’t touch, having satisfied their curiosity or the cameras with a few bites. If they’re fit, they often neglect to mention the exercise involved. If they’re not, they infrequently cop to their health worries or woes.

Last week Paula Deen copped. The woman whose best-known burger recipe uses glazed doughnuts in place of a bun announced that she has diabetes. It would have been refreshing if the circumstances hadn’t been so self-serving: she was plugging her son Bobby’s new Cooking Channel show, “Not My Mama’s Meals,” which is devoted to lower-calorie recipes. And she had recently signed on as a paid pitchwoman for a diabetes drug.

What’s more, she had waited three long, greasy years since her diagnosis to come out. During that period, she promoted the deep-fried life without acknowledging her firsthand experience of how a person can be burned by it.
That’s a profound, unsettling act of withholding.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/22/2012, 9:27 pm

I find it amusing that you couldn't comprehend why people are really upset with her. It has very little to do with her recipes.

What people are upset with, is her hiding the fact that she had contracted diabetes and not coming clean abiout it until she signed a multimillion-dollar deal to be the spokeswoman for a pharmaceutical company and endorse the drug she is taking.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/23/2012, 9:54 am

Artie60438 wrote:
I find it amusing that you couldn't comprehend why people are really upset with her. It has very little to do with her recipes.

What people are upset with, is her hiding the fact that she had contracted diabetes and not coming clean abiout it until she signed a multimillion-dollar deal to be the spokeswoman for a pharmaceutical company and endorse the drug she is taking.
It is nobody's damn business what disease she has, nor is it anyone's business when, or even if, she decides to go public with the fact.
I seriously doubt that she contracted diabetes intentionally in order to land an endorsement for the spokeswoman position. As it stands, she has done nothing unethical, much less illegal, so you may want to untwist those panties of yours at your earliest convenience.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/23/2012, 5:27 pm

-Edited by Admin to comply with fair use rules of New York Times.

Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/23/2012, 7:40 pm

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/23/2012, 10:17 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

[b]It is nobody's damn business what disease she has, nor is it anyone's business when, or even if, she decides to go public with the fact.
It is when you're a public figure that hid the fact until she got a multimillion-dollar deal to be the spokeswoman for a pharmaceutical company and endorse the drug she is taking.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/24/2012, 10:43 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

[b]It is nobody's damn business what disease she has, nor is it anyone's business when, or even if, she decides to go public with the fact.
It is when you're a public figure that hid the fact until she got a multimillion-dollar deal to be the spokeswoman for a pharmaceutical company and endorse the drug she is taking.

Why in the hell is this woman, whose salary you do not pay and who owes you nothing, obligated to tell you anything whatsoever, much less what disease she has?
And if she got a deal being a spokesperson, what exactly is wrong with that? Celebrities do paid endorsements every day.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/24/2012, 3:50 pm

happy jack wrote:

Why in the hell is this woman, whose salary you do not pay and who owes you nothing, obligated to tell you anything whatsoever, much less what disease she has?
Never said she was obligated. It just makes her look like a complete phony.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/25/2012, 6:17 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Never said she was obligated. It just makes her look like a complete phony.
People who keep their personal medical history to themselves are not phonies.
However, people who are upset because they feel they deserve to be privy to the details of another person's medical history are, without a shred of doubt, ridiculous, nosy bastards who would be better served watching the Jerry Springer show.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/25/2012, 6:48 am

happy jack wrote:

[b]People who keep their personal medical history to themselves are not phonies.
However, people who are upset because they feel they deserve to be privy to the details of another person's medical history are, without a shred of doubt, ridiculous, nosy bastards who would be better served watching the Jerry Springer show.
They are when they keep pushing the same unhealthy recipes until they land a deal speaking for a drug company.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty1/25/2012, 9:35 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

[b]People who keep their personal medical history to themselves are not phonies.
They are when they keep pushing the same unhealthy recipes until they land a deal speaking for a drug company.
Artie60438 wrote:
It has very little to do with her recipes.

Make up your mind.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty2/9/2012, 6:51 pm

I think it's poetic justice that someone who has become rich promoting methods of cooking that are unhealthy will have to deal with the inevitable consequences of her poor decisions.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty2/9/2012, 7:54 pm

sparks wrote:
I think it's poetic justice that someone who has become rich promoting methods of cooking that are unhealthy will have to deal with the inevitable consequences of her poor decisions.
It's known as Karma
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty2/9/2012, 9:23 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
sparks wrote:
It's known as Karma
I agree.
Anyone who has ever shared a recipe that calls for butter deserves to contract diabetes.

Rolling Eyes
Would either one of you be gloating over her illness had she demonstrated for her friends and family how to cook allegedly unhealthy foods, like so many mothers and grandmothers have done throughout the centuries?
Admit it - you're upset merely because she became wealthy doing it, aren't you?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty2/10/2012, 4:24 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
sparks wrote:
It's known as Karma
I agree.
Anyone who has ever shared a recipe that calls for butter deserves to contract diabetes.

Rolling Eyes
Would either one of you be gloating over her illness had she demonstrated for her friends and family how to cook allegedly unhealthy foods, like so many mothers and grandmothers have done throughout the centuries?
jealousy is a pretty toxic emotion, it's not my style.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty2/10/2012, 12:37 pm

sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
sparks wrote:
It's known as Karma
I agree.

Rolling Eyes
jealousy is a pretty toxic emotion, it's not my style.
If envy of Paula Deen's wealth is not an issue with you, then do you think it is "poetic justice" when a mother or grandmother, who has passed down to her descendants her collection of high fat/cholesterol recipes, contracts diabetes?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty7/25/2013, 3:04 pm

A special kind of racist.....
Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima
Quote :
The Paula Deen racism scandal just got reignited thanks to a blockbuster New York Times story Thursday that claims the former Food Network star asked black employees to dress like Aunt Jemima.

The profile of Deen's cook Dora Charles overflows with allegations of racist behavior. Deen allegedly paid black employees less than white ones and used racial slurs.

But it is Deen's idea of Confederate-tinged dinner theater that may be the most unseemly element of the story. Charles tells the Times that she refused Deen's requests to ring a dinner bell in front of her Savannah, Ga. restaurant The Lady and Sons and, in the words of the paper, holler for "people to come and get it."

Also read: Paula Deen's Multimillion-Dollar Disaster: What's the Cost of the N-Word?

"I said, 'I'm not ringing no bell,'" Charles told the paper. "That's a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day."
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty7/26/2013, 10:45 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Quote :
The Paula Deen racism scandal just got reignited thanks to a blockbuster New York Times story Thursday that claims the former Food Network star asked black employees to dress like Aunt Jemima.

The profile of Deen's cook Dora Charles overflows with allegations of racist behavior. Deen allegedly paid black employees less than white ones and used racial slurs.

But it is Deen's idea of Confederate-tinged dinner theater that may be the most unseemly element of the story. Charles tells the Times that she refused Deen's requests to ring a dinner bell in front of her Savannah, Ga. restaurant The Lady and Sons and, in the words of the paper, holler for "people to come and get it."

Also read: Paula Deen's Multimillion-Dollar Disaster: What's the Cost of the N-Word?

"I said, 'I'm not ringing no bell,'" Charles told the paper. "That's a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day."

Good to see that you've found yourself another race-card bandwagon to hop onto, seeing as how the Zimmerman trial didn't quite pan out to fill your needs.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty7/26/2013, 4:33 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Quote :

Good to see that you've found yourself another race-card bandwagon to hop onto, seeing as how the Zimmerman trial didn't quite pan out to fill your needs.

Are you actually saying that asking black staffers to dress as Aunt Jemima isn't racist?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty7/28/2013, 1:53 pm

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Quote :

Are you actually saying that asking black staffers to dress as Aunt Jemima isn't racist?

To the  contrary - I find it highly racist. All I was saying is that I'm glad Artie has a new cause. If he's not playing the race card, he's just not himself (which, when you think about it, is actually a good thing for all involved).
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty7/28/2013, 5:19 pm

happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Quote :

To the  contrary - I find it highly racist. All I was saying is that I'm glad Artie has a new cause. If he's not playing the race card, he's just not himself (which, when you think about it, is actually a good thing for all involved).

Yeah. Well I think that you should look up what "playing the race card" actually means.  I don't see how it applies in this context at all.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty7/28/2013, 7:34 pm

Scorpion wrote:

Yeah. Well I think that you should look up what "playing the race card" actually means.  I don't see how it applies in this context at all.

I did....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_card

.... exploiting prejudice against another race for political or some other advantage.

.... and Artie exploited Paula Deen's prejudice in an attempt to gain an advantage in his ridiculous argument that she should be punished for using lard in her recipes.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty8/4/2013, 7:24 pm

happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

I did....

.... exploiting prejudice against another race for political or some other advantage.

.... and Artie exploited Paula Deen's prejudice in an attempt to gain an advantage in his ridiculous argument that she should be punished for using lard in her recipes.

Yeah... OK, Stretch...
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty8/5/2013, 9:48 am

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

I did....

Yeah... OK, Stretch...

Not a stretch at all. By Artie's thinking, and the thinking of many like him, once you've tarred someone as a racist, the validity of everything else that person may do falls under suspicion.
For Artie, it's all very simple: Paula Deen is a racist, hence, she is fervently hoping that others will contract diabetes because of the lard in her recipes.
Or something like that.
When his gibberish reaches that point, I find it difficult to pay attention.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty8/5/2013, 10:13 am

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

I did....

Yeah... OK, Stretch...
My mistake,Scorpion Embarassed Should a similar situation arise in the future I will simply start a brand new topic so as not to confuse the slow-witted among us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paula Deen gave me diabetes   Paula Deen gave me diabetes Empty

Back to top Go down

Paula Deen gave me diabetes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: