HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

'Avoid the Ghetto' app

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

PostSubject: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 1:34 am

I saw this coming as soon as I heard about the app.
Does anyone here think this app should be made available?
If not, why not?
For the record, I think it’s a great idea.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/microsofts-avoid-ghetto-app-continues-draw-fire

Microsoft's 'Avoid Ghetto' App Continues to Draw Fire

By: Lynette Holloway | Posted: January 19, 2012

The Dallas NAACP president told CBS during an interview that she willl be up in arms if Microsoft's so-called avoid-ghetto app is made available. She says it could hurt businesses in black communities, which have already been hit hard by the economic downturn.
"It's almost like gerrymandering," Dallas NAACP President Juanita Wallace told CBS Dallas-Fort Worth. "It's stereotyping for sure and without a doubt. I can't emphasize enough: It's discriminatory."
Microsoft says the app will use crime statistics from cities across the nation to determine which parts should be avoided. But it remains unclear how it will accumulate the data and how that will be interpreted. Microsoft has filed a patent for the app, but the actual product is unnamed and not available yet.
Even though "avoid ghetto" is not the official name of the app, the damage has been done because no one likes pejorative labels. Perhaps the company should have had a better PR strategy.

App That Would Guide Users Away From High-Crime Areas Proves Controversial

January 17, 2012 8:37 PM

Reporting Sharrie Williams
http://dfw.cbslocal....-controversial/

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An in-development Microsoft smart phone app designed to help drivers and pedestrians avoid unsafe neighborhoods is proving controversial among some minority rights groups that find the software potentially discriminatory.

The as-of-yet unnamed product is being referred to as the “Avoid The Ghetto” app by those who are concerned with where it will guide users.

“I’m going to be up in arms about it if it happens,” said Dallas NAACP President Juanita Wallace.

Wallace spent her afternoon at a rally on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and said she felt safe there, but fears the app may project otherwise.

“Can you imagine me not being able to go to MLK Blvd. because my GPS says that’s a dangerous crime area? I can’t even imagine that,” she said.

Microsoft says the app will use crime statistics to determine what parts of town are to be avoided. But it’s unclear where the data will come from and how it will be interpreted.

Microsoft has filed a patent for the app, but the actual product is unnamed and not available yet.

Opponents like Wallace fear it could hurt minority communities.

“It’s almost like gerrymandering,” she said. “It’s stereotyping for sure and without a doubt; I can’t emphasize enough, it’s discriminatory.”

Michael McNally, who was visiting Dallas Tuesday, said an app shouldn’t have enough power to label a community.

“It may have a high crime problem but have some great cultural, social things you can do there,” McNally said.

Dallas resident Chris Hurst said it sounds like a good safety tool.

“I’d be all for it because you can never be too safe,” he said.

Tommy Jones, who works downtown, said an app like Microsoft’s could hurt a city’s economy.

“From a business standpoint, it could be devastating,” he said. “Especially in the area of tourism.”

Economic development is a major initiative that Mayor Mike Rawlings is pushing in parts of the city that the app may suggest against visiting.

Wallace is concerned this type of technology would continue to perpetuate stereotypes in Dallas and beyond.

“What happens in North Dallas certainly ought to be no different than what happens in South Dallas, so we can’t keep on doing this,” she said. “This type of technology is certainly going to pronounce and heighten it to some degree.”

Microsoft declined to comment, issuing a statement that said the company “does not comment on filed or awarded patents.”
Back to top Go down
paul87920

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 1:51 am

I don't find issue with the app, but I'd have no reason to use it. A little street smarts and a friendly demeanor can get a person far in life.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 3:37 am

paul87920 wrote:
I don't find issue with the app, but I'd have no reason to use it. A little street smarts and a friendly demeanor can get a person far in life.
Pardon me for saying so, but that's not exactly one of the more efficient of survival tactics.
Good luck with that.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 8:47 am

paul87920 wrote:
I go in rough neighborhoods all the time. Common sense and awareness of my surroundings works for me. This app is designed for people that are scared of their own shadow.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 4:20 pm

happy jack wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Pardon me for saying so, but that's not exactly one of the more efficient of survival tactics.
Good luck with that.

It's just using common sense. If I ever made a trip out to LA, I'd know better than to wander off into a residential neighborhood. I've been to Chicago countless times with no problem at all. Even my traveling abroad I managed to avoid problems by keeping a good head on my shoulders and I never needed the "ghetto app" to get around. That app is for sheltered suburbanites and country folk who still believe in keeping the front door of their homes unlocked, the naive, the inexperienced...
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 4:21 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
I go in rough neighborhoods all the time. Common sense and awareness of my surroundings works for me. This app is designed for people that are scared of their own shadow.
Like the kind of people who post on the BLT board?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 9:37 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

I go into rough neighborhoods almost daily, but I have the luxury of knowing where I am and what I might expect to encounter. I think this app serves a quite useful purpose for those who may be forced to travel in unfamiliar areas, either as part of their job, or when on vacation and searching for gas, food, or lodging.
Whether or not you find the app useful for your own particular needs is one thing. My main question is whether or not the NAACP or any other minority group has a legitimate reason to protest the availability of this app.
Frankly, I believe that the safety of travelers is a much higher priority than the loss of business any local merchants may experience as a result of potential customers being advised to avoid certain localities.
Don't you?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/20/2012, 10:32 pm

sparks wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Exactly
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/21/2012, 11:15 am

We could have used it when lost in South Bend looking for a grocery store. We followed garmin directions past a house with four police cars, lights on, parked in front of it. We drove a bit out of the way after getting milk so as not to be taken through that neighborhood again.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/21/2012, 12:53 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
sparks wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Exactly

Yeah.
Like this guy, especially.

Spark's best insults thread.

sparks wrote:
I want to extend a special thank you to HappyBeatoff for taking the time to compile this collection of slams and insults I have posted. I think my creativity,humor and wit are well represented here.
USMarine wrote:
God Bless Sprackles for his Christian posts.

How does that saying go...?

Oh yeah, "You can learn a lot from those who are smarter than you."

:smt005 :smt006
Sparks wrote:
[size=150]I guess you've forgotten all about the warning you received. The personal attacks which add nothing to the discussions are escalating and I heard "Bad things will happen" to several posters soon.[/size]
The Administrator wrote:
[size=150]Once again the level of negativity has risen to an unacceptable level.Personal attack posts including silly bandwidth hogging image posts are interfering with intelligent discussion.[/size]

sparks wrote:
Hold the presses! The message board magistrate has rendered another one of his legal opinions. I bet Chuckmo is trembling in fear because HappyBeatoff has used his vast legal experience to determine that Chuckmo's post advocates murder. Way too funny!

sparks wrote:
It's always fun to give brain dead losers a hard time. Like when I coined the phrase Second Hand Stupidity after reading one of your idiotic posts OTOB. That bullseye that I nailed you with pushed you over the edge and led to your being banned. Too funny!!!

sparks wrote:
It looks like you should start caring about how your inability to spell looks to others. Have you considered an adult education class for English?

sparks wrote:
Great,now this stupid loser is starting to agree with me.What's the world coming to?

sparks wrote:
Is your memory loss due to early onset dementia or is it alcohol related? ...you clearly lack the ability to express yourself on a more intelligent level.

sparks wrote:
Hey dumbass... As far as posts I have made on this board, you're full of crap.

sparks wrote:
OMG, are you really that stupid? What kind of school did you attend Martha? They teach this stuff in grade school. I'll take this reaallly slow so maybe even your small brain can understand it.

sparks wrote:
I'll try to make this real simple,pal, since you aren't able to grasp anything beyond two plus two equals four.

sparks wrote:
It must be tough going through life without a brain!

sparks wrote:
You people are even dumber than you look.

sparks wrote:
Hey beat-off,this is a message board.

sparks wrote:
...dumbass.
Reading comprehension has never been one of your strong points,has it?

sparks wrote:
We know you are full of crap,,,

sparks wrote:
I have come up with some great nicknames for my buddies on this board. Message board Magistrate, Mail Order Minister, Moldy Balls, Happy Jackoff,losermobile, second hand stupidity,USMarine the teenage drama queen, just to name a few.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/21/2012, 12:56 pm

KarenT wrote:
We could have used it when lost in South Bend looking for a grocery store. We followed garmin directions past a house with four police cars, lights on, parked in front of it. We drove a bit out of the way after getting milk so as not to be taken through that neighborhood again.

That's exactly the type of situation it was designed for.
But, of course, there will always be those idiots who cry 'racist' the first chance they get.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/22/2012, 3:44 am

happy jack wrote:
KarenT wrote:

But, of course, there will always be those idiots who cry 'racist' the first chance they get.

Well, you're in luck. I haven't seen anyone on this forum call it racist.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/22/2012, 10:49 am

paul87920 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
KarenT wrote:

I was referring to the woman from the NAACP.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/22/2012, 2:59 pm

happy jack wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
KarenT wrote:

I was referring to the woman from the NAACP.

Well I can't say I understand her complaint. High crime is not synonymous to black.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/23/2012, 9:47 am

Artie60438 wrote:

I don’t quite know what method you use to gauge the ‘roughness’ of the neighborhoods you go into, but the very fact that you do take such a measurement makes you not a bit different from someone who might choose to use this app to assess the 'roughness' of a neighborhood they are considering entering.
Are you, by chance, scared of your own shadow?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/23/2012, 10:26 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

[b]I don’t quite know what method you use to gauge the ‘roughness’ of the neighborhoods you go into, but the very fact that you do take such a measurement makes you not a bit different from someone who might choose to use this app to assess the 'roughness' of a neighborhood they are considering entering.
I make the decision whether or not I go into a neighborhood. I don't need an app to tell me where I can go. An app is probably better suited for folks like yourself that have difficulty making decisions.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/24/2012, 10:32 am

Artie60438 wrote:

I make the decision whether or not I go into a neighborhood.

Yes, and you make that decision based on how “rough” the neighborhood is, using whatever methodology and criteria you happen to opt for. If you go to the trouble of assessing your probable safety in a particular neighborhood, as you have admitted to doing, then that places you in the same category as those people whom you accuse of being scared of their own shadow.

Artie60438 wrote:

I don't need an app to tell me where I can go.

The app does not tell the user where he or she may or may not go.

Artie60438 wrote:

An app is probably better suited for folks like yourself that have difficulty making decisions.

The app is suited for people who would prefer to make informed decisions.
I’m not quite sure why the availability of this app so upsets your delicate self. It’s not as if the government is mandating that you buy it.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/24/2012, 3:45 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

I make the decision whether or not I go into a neighborhood.

[b]Yes, and you make that decision based on how “rough” the neighborhood is, using whatever methodology and criteria you happen to opt for. If you go to the trouble of assessing your probable safety in a particular neighborhood, as you have admitted to doing, then that places you in the same category as those people whom you accuse of being scared of their own shadow.
Really? Oh,never mind,I forgot using common sense is a foreign concept to you.

Artie60438 wrote:

I don't need an app to tell me where I can go.

[b]The app does not tell the user where he or she may or may not go.
Really genius? Then what would be the purpose of having one if you'e going to ignore what it tells you? It would be like using a GPS in an unfamiliar area and then ignoring it's directions,wouldn't it?

Artie60438 wrote:

An app is probably better suited for folks like yourself that have difficulty making decisions.
[b]The app is suited for people who would prefer to make informed decisions.
[/quote] Have you reached an "informed decision" yet of the POTUS candidate you are supporting or are you still waiting for Rush Limbaugh to tell you?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/24/2012, 4:29 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Oh,never mind,I forgot using common sense is a foreign concept to you.
I am all for using common sense in deciding whether to enter a particular neighborhood. The app simply provides information, allowing one who is unfamiliar with an area to make an informed decision.
And as I said earlier, since you yourself admit to assessing the neighborhoods you go into, with or without the app, you are absolutely no different from those who make their choices based on information derived from the app.
Or, as you put it, scared of your own shadow.
It’s amusing to watch you getting all wee-weed up over this.

Artie60438 wrote:
Really genius? Then what would be the purpose of having one if you'e going to ignore what it tells you? It would be like using a GPS in an unfamiliar area and then ignoring it's directions,wouldn't it?
Again, the purpose is to allow the user to make an informed decision. The user would have complete freedom to accept or reject the advice of the app based on the situation, such as:
Is the user armed?
Does the user have his wife and/or children with him and would rather not risk placing them in a situation that he would not be hesitant to face alone?
There could be any number of reasons the user might choose to accept or reject the recommendations of the app.
And again, it’s amusing to watch you getting all wee-weed up over this.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/25/2012, 6:46 am

happy jack wrote:

And as I said earlier, since you yourself admit to assessing the neighborhoods you go into, with or without the app, you are absolutely no different from those who make their choices based on information derived from the app.
It’s amusing to watch you getting all wee-weed up over this.[/b]
I don't need an electronic nanny to tell me not to walk around the Delaney projects in Gary at 2AM. You apparently do.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/25/2012, 8:13 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

It’s amusing to watch you getting all wee-weed up over this.[/b]
I don't need an electronic nanny to tell me not to walk around the Delaney projects in Gary at 2AM. You apparently do.
No, actually, I don’t.
However, someone who is unfamiliar with the area would certainly appreciate being told to stay out of there.
Doncha think?
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/25/2012, 8:14 am

happy jack wrote:
I think this app serves a quite useful purpose for those who may be forced to travel in unfamiliar areas, either as part of their job, or when on vacation and searching for gas, food, or lodging.

My thoughts exactly. I've gotten lost more than once traveling. While I know the probability of something happening is extremely low, I can't say I wouldn't find this useful.

happy jack wrote:
Frankly, I believe that the safety of travelers is a much higher priority than the loss of business any local merchants may experience as a result of potential customers being advised to avoid certain localities.

I find it hard to believe there would be such a loss of business. No business is going to do well if there's a high chance it's customers are going to get robbed or attacked in the first place and it certainly won't attract tourists...
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/25/2012, 8:49 am

Heretic wrote:
happy jack wrote:
I think this app serves a quite useful purpose for those who may be forced to travel in unfamiliar areas, either as part of their job, or when on vacation and searching for gas, food, or lodging.

My thoughts exactly. I've gotten lost more than once traveling. While I know the probability of something happening is extremely low, I can't say I wouldn't find this useful.

happy jack wrote:

I find it hard to believe there would be such a loss of business. No business is going to do well if there's a high chance it's customers are going to get robbed or attacked in the first place and it certainly won't attract tourists...

No, I don’t foresee any significant loss of business, either. Most people tend to do their regular shopping in some predetermined location, anyway, so the people who already shop in that area would likely continue to shop in that area. The only business losses this app might cause would be the occasional cup of coffee or tank of gas not purchased by the occasional tourist who was warned off.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/25/2012, 7:08 pm

happy jack wrote:

I’m not quite sure why the availability of this app so upsets your delicate self. It’s not as if the government is mandating that you buy it.
Since more white people commit violent crimes than any other race, I don't think this app will be of any use in helping people make "informed" decisions. It will continue to spread misinformation about crime, race and poverty, which I believe is the goal of the app.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   1/26/2012, 3:01 am

sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Since more white people commit violent crimes than any other race, I don't think this app will be of any use in helping people make "informed" decisions. It will continue to spread misinformation about crime, race and poverty, which I believe is the goal of the app.

If there's any evidence that the app is going to do that, feel free to share. And if what you said about violent crimes proves true (let's say you're right for the sake of moving the discussion forward) I don't think the NAACP has anything to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Avoid the Ghetto' app   

Back to top Go down

'Avoid the Ghetto' app
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: