Let Freedom Reign!


 
HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 The horror.... the horror ....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: The horror.... the horror ....   1/15/2012, 3:56 pm

How can those with a conscience sleep when things like this are going on in the world?


http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-cross-20120104,0,5009588.story

Crosses and the Constitution

The pair of large crosses on Camp Pendleton do more than just serve as memorials to fallen Marines. They unconstitutionally evoke one religion over others, on public land.

January 4, 2012

The military, like any other government agency, cannot allow people to install large religious symbols wherever they want on public property. Once in place for any length of time, those symbols (and usually that means a cross) tend to be seen as established markers, and proposals to remove them are wrongly viewed as anti-religion and, specifically, anti-Christian.

That's what has happened yet again after two large crosses were set on a hill at Camp Pendleton. One was erected in 2003 by Marines who would later be killed in the Iraq war. That cross burned down in 2007 but was replaced a year later. Pendleton higher-ups should have foreseen that allowing the crosses to stay would have led to another one, placed there two months ago on Veterans Day without permission. Now groups that advocate for the separation of church and state are complaining that the crosses should come down, while others are arguing for them to remain as a memorial to Marines who have died.

The cross is widely used in this country to commemorate the dead; in Camp Pendleton, the hill adorned with crosses has become a cherished spot for men and women in uniform to honor their fallen comrades, bringing notes, dog tags and other memorabilia. But the fact remains that the cross is an inherently religious symbol. Those who claim it is merely a sign of mourning, not one that evokes one religion over others, should imagine how they would feel if a symbol of Islam or Judaism were placed on the hillside instead.

Ironically, there's another large cross on the Camp Pendleton base — one that many of the Marines there don't even know about — that does have legitimate reason to exist on its own. At the northern end of the camp, a white cross was planted on a bluff to mark the site of the spring below it where the first baptism in California is believed to have taken place in 1769. In that case, the public interest is historic, and the history is inextricably interwoven with Christianity.

That's not the situation with the two newer crosses at the Marine base, which shouldn't have been allowed without a plan for a more universal memorial site. One course of action that would allow the new crosses to remain would be to invite Marines of other religious beliefs to add their own symbols to the hill. That would ensure the separation of church and state while also being sensitive to the sense of loss suffered by those in the armed services. It would create a place where all people in uniform can remember the sacrifices made by so many.



http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/letters/la-le-postscript-foreign-spelling-20120114,0,1157828.story

Postscript: When a tilde is missing

The tilde in his name should have been used, but wasn't, in a story on Mexican presidential candidate Enrique Peña Nieto.

January 14, 2012

A Jan. 8 article about recent missteps by a leading Mexican presidential candidate prompted a critical response from one reader. But Jose Suarez of Los Angeles wasn't upset by anecdotes about the candidate's inability to name a book he'd read or to quote the price of tortillas, public blunders that have removed the feeling of inevitability that the candidate would return Mexico's once notoriously autocratic Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, to power.

Instead, Suarez questioned The Times' spelling of the candidate's name: Enrique Pena Nieto.

"I noticed you kept calling him Pena Nieto even though his name is Peña Nieto," Suarez wrote. "I cannot understand why a newspaper doesn't respect the spelling of a presidential candidate of a country.




Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/15/2012, 10:52 pm

happy jack wrote:

That's not the situation with the two newer crosses at the Marine base, which shouldn't have been allowed without a plan for a more universal memorial site. One course of action that would allow the new crosses to remain would be to invite Marines of other religious beliefs to add their own symbols to the hill. That would ensure the separation of church and state while also being sensitive to the sense of loss suffered by those in the armed services. It would create a place where all people in uniform can remember the sacrifices made by so many.
Yeah,it would be all fun and games until someone erected a symbol of the Quran.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/16/2012, 1:29 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

That's not the situation with the two newer crosses at the Marine base, which shouldn't have been allowed without a plan for a more universal memorial site. One course of action that would allow the new crosses to remain would be to invite Marines of other religious beliefs to add their own symbols to the hill. That would ensure the separation of church and state while also being sensitive to the sense of loss suffered by those in the armed services. It would create a place where all people in uniform can remember the sacrifices made by so many.
Yeah,it would be all fun and games until someone erected a symbol of the Quran.

For any and all Muslims who served and died, I am 100% in favor of allowing other members of their faith to erect any type of symbol they deem appropriate to honor them. The same applies to Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, etc.. You name it, I’m all for it.
As a matter of fact, I am all for anything that makes the writers at the L.A. Times or the New York Times whine, stamp their feet, and threaten to hold their breath until someone rectifies whatever happens to be the outrage of the day.
If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/16/2012, 8:55 am

happy jack wrote:

If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.[/b]
I wouldn't,but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of rabid right-wing kooks that would based on their past behavior.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/16/2012, 4:46 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.[/b]
I wouldn't,but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of rabid right-wing kooks that would based on their past behavior.
Really?
Who, specifically?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/16/2012, 5:10 pm

I fully intend to stage a protest of my own if I happen to find a Shark's restaurant open for business on Guy Fawkes Day.




http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20120116/NEWS02/120116019/Group-protests-MLK-Day-opening-TD-Bank-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Group protests MLK Day opening of TD Bank

4:43 PM, Jan. 16, 2012 |

After a Martin Luther King Jr. Day observance at Burlington’s City Hall Contois Auditorium Monday, about a dozen demonstrators marched on the TD Bank branch just down the street to protest the bank’s opening on the holiday.
The marchers briefly gathered in front of the bank, then tried to enter. Moments after the group arrived, Patrick Brown, director of the Burlington Multicultural Resource Center, said he would hand leaflets to bank tellers protesting the bank’s hours Monday. The leaflet read: “Dear TD Bank, you are defying the King holiday. Shame, Shame, Shame. This is a racist act. Shame, Shame, Shame.
However, two male bank employees stopped the demonstrators as they tried to enter the bank. The employees refused to take the leaflet from Brown, then locked the doors. A few minutes after that, another TD Bank employee said if people had legitimate bank business, they could enter, but otherwise, demonstrators had to stay outside.
A few demonstrators got inside and briefly held signs and chanted slogans, but then left at Brown’s behest. The demonstration then continued on the sidewalk in front of the bank.
Brown had said last week he was considering leading a demonstration against the bank.
Bank officials said last week that the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday is important, but the bank has traditional stayed open on the holiday to serve its customers’ needs.

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/17/2012, 8:14 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.[/b]
I wouldn't,but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of rabid right-wing kooks that would based on their past behavior.
[b]Really?
Who, specifically?[/]
The very same right wing jackasses that had a hissy fit over an Islamic Cultural Center being built in a deserted "Burlington Coat Factory" 2 blocks away from ground zero.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/17/2012, 4:32 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.[/b]
I wouldn't,but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of rabid right-wing kooks that would based on their past behavior.
[b]Really?
Who, specifically?
The very same right wing jackasses that had a hissy fit over an Islamic Cultural Center being built in a deserted "Burlington Coat Factory" 2 blocks away from ground zero.
Really?
Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/17/2012, 4:51 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.[/b]
I wouldn't,but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of rabid right-wing kooks that would based on their past behavior.
[b]Really?
Who, specifically?
The very same right wing jackasses that had a hissy fit over an Islamic Cultural Center being built in a deserted "Burlington Coat Factory" 2 blocks away from ground zero.
Really?
Who, specifically?
Rep. Peter King R-Planet Wingnuttia Planning Hearings on Muslim "Radicalization"
Quote :
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?
We've already seen a wingnut crowd at a debate recently boo a gay serviceman and not one of the clowns on stage that are running made a peep about it at the time. Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/17/2012, 4:59 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
We've already seen a wingnut crowd at a debate recently boo a gay serviceman and not one of the clowns on stage that are running made a peep about it at the time. Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
Since you are having trouble sticking to the topic, please allow me to repeat the question.
happy jack wrote:

Really?
Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/17/2012, 5:31 pm

[quote="happy jack"]
Artie60438 wrote:
We've already seen a wingnut crowd at a debate recently boo a gay serviceman and not one of the clowns on stage that are running made a peep about it at the time. Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
[Since you are having trouble sticking to the topic, please allow me to repeat the question.[/b]
happy jack wrote:

Really?
Who, specifically?
Are you freaking blind?
Rep. Peter King R-Planet Wingnuttia Planning Hearings on Muslim "Radicalization"
Quote :
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?
Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
You going to answer the above or try and weasel out as usual?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/17/2012, 6:24 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
The very same right wing jackasses that had a hissy fit over an Islamic Cultural Center being built in a deserted "Burlington Coat Factory" 2 blocks away from ground zero.

happy jack wrote:
Really?
And my question was:
Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?

Artie60438 wrote:
We've already seen a wingnut crowd at a debate recently boo a gay serviceman and not one of the clowns on stage that are running made a peep about it at the time.
happy jack wrote:

Really?
And my question was:
Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?

Artie60438 wrote:
Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
You going to answer the above or try and weasel out as usual?
It’s not my question to answer, as I never made any such claim. The only ‘weaseling out’ going on is you refusing to answer my question, which was:

Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/18/2012, 8:21 am

happy jack wrote:

It’s not my question to answer, as I never made any such claim. The only ‘weaseling out’ going on is you refusing to answer my question, which was:

Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?[/b]
I answered your questions and even provided examples,but since you couldn't refute what I posted you responded with your usual juvenile tactic of repeating the question over and over as if you never got an answer.

Meanwhile you completely ignored my request for
Quote :
Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
Couldn't find any examples?

Now unless you provide some actual examples or facts that can prove me wrong don't expect me to waste anymore time with you.
Sleep

Back to top Go down
KarenT



Posts : 1328

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/18/2012, 5:27 pm

Isn't Arlington Cemetery public land? Aren't the graves there marked by crosses?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/18/2012, 9:10 pm

KarenT wrote:
Isn't Arlington Cemetery public land? Aren't the graves there marked by crosses?
Yes, and I believe some of the graves are marked with cross shaped headstones but most are plain white headstones on which religious symbols can be inscribed..
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/18/2012, 11:53 pm

My, my – you certainly are a confused little monkey, aren’t you?.
Let’s go over the timeline of this conversation, shall we?
First, I wrote ….


happy jack wrote:

If you, however, have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base, then I guess that is your issue.


To which you replied ….


Artie60438 wrote:
I wouldn't,but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are plenty of rabid right-wing kooks that would based on their past behavior.

I then asked you who, specifically, would have a problem with the fallen of Muslim faith being represented on a Marine base.

happy jack wrote:
Really?
Who, specifically?

To which you replied ….

Artie60438 wrote:
The very same right wing jackasses that had a hissy fit over an Islamic Cultural Center being built in a deserted "Burlington Coat Factory" 2 blocks away from ground zero.

…. without telling me who, and without explaining how you knew with certainty how they would react to a fallen Muslim Marine being represented by a symbol of his faith on a Marine base. So I asked ….

happy jack wrote:

Really?
Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?

…. to which you replied by posting something about Peter King and a gay serviceman, while still completely avoiding answering my initial question. And, for good measure, you skirted the question even more by demanding that I provide to you examples of Republicans saying nice things about Muslims, or something like that. At any rate, I saw no reason to reply to your question because:
A. It came from left field.
B. I had never made any statement claiming that Republicans were running around saying nice things about Muslims, so I saw no obligation for me to provide such proof.
C. I really don’t much give a fuck.



Artie60438 wrote:
Rep. Peter King R-Planet Wingnuttia Planning Hearings on Muslim "Radicalization"

We've already seen a wingnut crowd at a debate recently boo a gay serviceman and not one of the clowns on stage that are running made a peep about it at the time. Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.



Are you freaking blind?
Rep. Peter King R-Planet Wingnuttia Planning Hearings on Muslim "Radicalization"




You going to answer the above or try and weasel out as usual?

…. to which I replied ….

happy jack wrote:

It’s not my question to answer, as I never made any such claim. The only ‘weaseling out’ going on is you refusing to answer my question, which was:

Who, specifically?
And how is it that you have this foreknowledge of their reaction to seeing Muslim Marines being honored for their sacrifices?

…. which caused you lie by claiming that you had answered my question and provided examples when in fact you had not, and to once again demand that I back up a statement that I never made in the first place.


Artie60438 wrote:
I answered your questions and even provided examples,but since you couldn't refute what I posted you responded with your usual juvenile tactic of repeating the question over and over as if you never got an answer.

Meanwhile you completely ignored my request for
Quote:
Show me a Republican that presently holds public office that specifically speaks favorably about the Muslim faith.
Couldn't find any examples?

Now unless you provide some actual examples or facts that can prove me wrong don't expect me to waste anymore time with you.

So, in conclusion, I hope this timeline has helped to demonstrate exactly how deeply and snugly your head is ensconced in your rectum.









Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9366

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/19/2012, 9:39 am

happy jack wrote:

At any rate, I saw no reason to reply to your question because:
A. It came from left field.
B. I had never made any statement claiming that Republicans were running around saying nice things about Muslims, so I saw no obligation for me to provide such proof.
C. I really don’t much give a fuck.
You left out the 2 most obvious choices.

D. You cornered me and I had no answer.
E. I prefer to act liek a jerk rather than to engage in honest discussion.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/19/2012, 5:11 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

At any rate, I saw no reason to reply to your question because:
A. It came from left field.
B. I had never made any statement claiming that Republicans were running around saying nice things about Muslims, so I saw no obligation for me to provide such proof.
C. I really don’t much give a fuck.
You left out the 2 most obvious choices.

D. You cornered me and I had no answer.
E. I prefer to act liek a jerk rather than to engage in honest discussion.
It is impossible for me to be "cornered", seeing as I never made any claim to begin with that required proof or backup.
Having said that, I'm still waiting for verification of your claim.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/19/2012, 5:46 pm

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/utah-school-board-says-cougar-mascot-too-offensive-to-women/

Utah School Board Says Cougar Mascot Too Offensive To Women

DRAPER, Utah (CBS Las Vegas) – One Utah school district believes a cougar mascot would be insensitive to women.
The Canyons School District overrode the students top choice of a cougar mascot for their high school that is to be completed in 2013.
Would-be Corner Canyon High School students chose the Cougars as their mascot — a name principal Mary Bailey said carries an ugly connotation that is disrespectful to women.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/24/2012, 10:57 am

Guess who will not be asked to participate in the three-legged race at this year's LGBT picnic?

http://www.ivillage.com/cynthia-nixon-being-gay-choice-me/1-a-421332

Cynthia Nixon on Being Gay: "For Me, It Is a Choice"
The Sex and the City star, who has dated both men and women, draws criticism for her controversial remarks about homosexuality

Donna Kaufman ON Jan 23, 2012 at 3:08PM

As far as Cynthia Nixon is concerned, there's no wrong way to be gay. The Sex and the City actress began dating her girlfriend Christine Marinoni in 2004, following a 14-year relationship with English professor Danny Mozes, the father of her two oldest children. Though Nixon, 45, is an impassioned advocate for gay rights, she has caused some controversy in the gay community for believing that her sexual orientation is a choice.
"I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line 'I've been straight and I've been gay, and gay is better,'" Nixon tells The New York Times. "And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it's not, but for me it's a choice, and you don't get to define my gayness for me."
Back to top Go down
paul87920

avatar

Posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   1/24/2012, 3:07 pm

happy jack wrote:
Guess who will not be asked to participate in the three-legged race at this year's LGBT picnic?

http://www.ivillage.com/cynthia-nixon-being-gay-choice-me/1-a-421332

Cynthia Nixon on Being Gay: "For Me, It Is a Choice"
The Sex and the City star, who has dated both men and women, draws criticism for her controversial remarks about homosexuality

Donna Kaufman ON Jan 23, 2012 at 3:08PM

As far as Cynthia Nixon is concerned, there's no wrong way to be gay. The Sex and the City actress began dating her girlfriend Christine Marinoni in 2004, following a 14-year relationship with English professor Danny Mozes, the father of her two oldest children. Though Nixon, 45, is an impassioned advocate for gay rights, she has caused some controversy in the gay community for believing that her sexual orientation is a choice.
"I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line 'I've been straight and I've been gay, and gay is better,'" Nixon tells The New York Times. "And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it's not, but for me it's a choice, and you don't get to define my gayness for me."

Wouldn't that make her bisexual?

As far as whether or not it's a choice I'm going to borrow from the Paula Deen argument. Nobody, straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered is obligated whatsoever to answer to the public over who they love or why they feel the way they do.

It could be a choice for Cynthia Nixon, but it might not be for the next guy. I would also acknowledge the low success rate of conversion therapy.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   2/9/2012, 1:16 pm

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/08/10354257-cnn-suspends-commentator-roland-martin-over-beckham-ad-tweets

CNN suspends commentator Roland Martin over Beckham ad tweets

After apologizing for what he called a misunderstanding, Roland Martin is out at CNN.
The network announced Wednesday afternoon that the analyst would be suspended for the foreseeable future.
"Roland Martin's tweets were regrettable and offensive," reads the statement. "Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being."
Prompting all of the furor was Martin's Twitter commentary on Super Bowl commercials, particularly one about the underwear clad David Beckham (below).
"If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad," he wrote, "smack the ish out of him!"
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   4/3/2012, 12:26 pm

Just what we need – another victim group.
How long until a Mister Softee truck driving through the neighborhood of a lactose-intolerant child becomes categorized as a hate crime?



http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/02/park-slope-parents-wants-ice-cream-trucks-banned-to-avoid-testy-tantrums-from-tots/

Park Slope Parents Want Ice Cream Trucks Banned To Avoid Testy Tantrums From Tots

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Who doesn’t like the ice cream truck? Apparently some parents in Park Slope.
Dozens of recent comments on a Park Slope parents message blog said ice cream vendors need to leave the area, especially places around the playgrounds and parks, to help avoid afternoon meltdowns and temper tantrums from children craving frozen treats.
“Go somewhere else, go on another corner because…it does make it too tempting for them,” Debbie Markovic said Monday as her lactose-intolerant daughter begged for ice cream.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5986

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   4/6/2012, 11:30 am

This doesn't appear to be racial profiling to me. It looks more like - what's the word I'm looking for? - oh, yeah - law enforcement.


http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/06/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-celebrityjustice-idUS59773884520120406

Tyler Perry Pulled Over, Accuses White Cops of Racial Profiling via Facebook

By Andrew Chow, JD at FindLaw.com
Thu Apr 5, 2012 8:13pm EDT

Tyler Perry's April 1 Facebook post about police pulling him over was no April Fool's joke: The highest-paid man in entertainment is accusing a pair of white Atlanta police officers of racial profiling.
Four days later, Perry's post boasts more than 117,000 "likes," 21,000 comments, and 12,000 shares. Atlanta police have launched an internal investigation, E! News reports.
Perry's predicament began when he admittedly made a left turn from a far-right lane -- a trick his security detail taught him, to make sure he wasn't being followed, Perry explained on Facebook.
Two white Atlanta police officers pulled him over, but apparently did not realize they'd just stopped Tyler Perry.
When Perry explained his illegal turn was to make sure no one was tailing him, one officer allegedly asked, "Why do you think someone would be following you?" Perry said in his post.
Before Perry could answer, the second white officer started "banging" on his passenger's side window -- apparently taking issue with the window's tint, Perry told his fans.
As both officers "badgered" Perry about why he thought someone may be following him, Perry said he recalled his mother's advice:
"My mother would always say to me, 'if you get stopped by the police, especially if they are white policemen, you say 'yes sir' and 'no sir', and if they want to take you in, you go with them. Don't resist, you hear me? Don't make any quick moves, don't run, you just go.'"
But then a second police cruiser pulled up, and a black Atlanta policeman emerged. "He took one look at me and had that 'Oh No' look on his face," Perry recounted.
The black officer spoke "in a hushed tone" to the two white officers, Perry said. "After that, one of the officers stayed near his car while one came back, very apologetic."
Perry was released, but news reports do not indicate whether he was cited for his illegal left turn or tinted windows. Georgia law requires drivers to approach a left turn from "the extreme left-hand lane" of a multi-lane road, Georgia Public Broadcasting reports.
Georgia law also makes it a misdemeanor to tint driver's or passenger's side windows under certain conditions, according to the state's Department of Public Safety.
The Atlanta police department's Office of Professional Standards is looking into Tyler Perry's racial-profiling claims, E! News reports.
Back to top Go down
UrRight



Posts : 3993

PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   4/6/2012, 12:36 pm

My lawyer is a Muslim, handling my car accident quite brilliantly. She doesn't wear the burka, or whatever you call it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The horror.... the horror ....   

Back to top Go down
 
The horror.... the horror ....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: