Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Voter Identification

Go down 
+6
Robin Banks
Heretic
Artie60438
Scorpion
KarenT
happy jack
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty7/15/2012, 4:11 pm

happy jack wrote:

(WASHINGTON (AP) - [i]In a victory for Republicans, the federal government has agreed to let Florida use a law enforcement database to challenge people's right to vote if they are suspected of not being U.S. citizens.
The agreement, made in a letter to Florida Gov. Rick Scott's administration that was obtained by The Associated Press, grants the state access to a list of resident noncitizens maintained by the Homeland Security Department.
Reminds me of their laughable idea of drug testing welfare recipients that ended up a complete failure. How long before they spend an obscene amount of money only to end up finding less than a half a dozen ineligible voters,not to mention pissing off the entire Latino community. Laughing
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty7/16/2012, 6:26 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

(WASHINGTON (AP) - [i]In a victory for Republicans, the federal government has agreed to let Florida use a law enforcement database to challenge people's right to vote if they are suspected of not being U.S. citizens.
The agreement, made in a letter to Florida Gov. Rick Scott's administration that was obtained by The Associated Press, grants the state access to a list of resident noncitizens maintained by the Homeland Security Department.
Reminds me of their laughable idea of drug testing welfare recipients that ended up a complete failure. How long before they spend an obscene amount of money only to end up finding less than a half a dozen ineligible voters,not to mention pissing off the entire Latino community. Laughing

Are you in favor of granting non-citizens the right to vote in U.S. elections?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty7/18/2012, 7:44 am

cheers cheers cheers

Judge bars enforcement of voter ID requirements
Quote :
A Dane County judge on Tuesday permanently barred enforcement of the photo identification requirements of Wisconsin's voter ID law, saying that it imposes too great a burden on voters in Wisconsin than the state constitution allows.

Circuit Judge David Flanagan ruled that Wisconsin Act 23, the voter ID law, "tells more than 300,000 Wisconsin voters who do not now have an acceptable form of photo identification that they cannot vote unless they first obtain a photo ID card."

That requirement, he wrote, imposes a "substantial burden" upon a significant proportion of state residents who are registered or eligible to vote because of the cost and difficulty of obtaining documents needed to apply for a state photo ID. That creates a "substantial impairment" to the right to vote guaranteed by the Wisconsin Constitution, he wrote.
Pretty much confirms what we've been saying all along.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/1/2012, 3:34 pm

happy jack wrote:

No, Artie, you have not proven your case. You have posted a "he said/she said" piece of tripe.
(It's funny how that comes back to bite you in the rump, isn't it?)
This week in the War on Voters: Florida Republican says party targeted blacks for voter suppression
Quote :
Minorities and young people are far more likely to vote for liberals and other Democrats. Voter advocates have long claimed that Republicans work diligently to suppress the clout of these demographic voting blocs by suppressing their presence at the polls. Republicans, naturally, object vociferously to these accusations. But Jim Greer, the former chairman of the Florida Republican Party, has confirmed that, at least in his state, it's true. He has a reason to go after the party since he is on trial for corruption, specifically, diverting party funds to personal uses. Indeed, it is in his 630-page deposition in that trial where he "unloaded a litany of charges against the 'whack-a-do, right-wing crazies' in his party, including the effort to suppress the black vote," writes Alex Seitz-Wald. But even if he is guilty of corruption, that doesn't make his accusations against the party false.

Quote :
In the deposition, released to the press [Thursday], Greer mentioned a December 2009 meeting with party officials. “I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting,” he said, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
He also said party officials "talked about not letting blacks vote … minority outreach programs were not fit for the Republican Party,"according to the AP
The U.S. Department of Justice has been inquiring into the practices of Florida Gov. Rick Scott, another Republican, in purging the state's voter rolls. Critics say minorities and Democrats are bearing the brunt of this disfranchisement.
Any comment,Jack...or is your rump too sore?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/15/2012, 5:08 pm

Well - This really sucks....

Pa. voter ID law gets approval of state judge

Quote :
A Pennsylvania judge ruled Wednesday that a new Republican-supported state voter ID law could be implemented for Election Day, despite objections that it was a partisan attempt to hurt President Obama and could cost thousands of voters the right to cast ballots.

The detailed, 70-page opinion by Simpson, a veteran of the bench who is a Republican, makes it much more likely that Pennsylvania voters will now be required to show specific forms of photo ID. It is one of many new restrictive voting laws across the country — in almost all cases, sponsored by Republicans and opposed by Democrats.

The decision will quickly be appealed to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. That court is currently operating with only six members, because one of its justices is suspended. A tie vote would uphold Simpson’s ruling.

So now it's official... the "fix is in."

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/15/2012, 6:30 pm

I'd like to see Obama roll out a plan for a National voter ID card and then sit back and watch the righties squirm.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/15/2012, 6:45 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
I'd like to see Obama roll out a plan for a National voter ID card and then sit back and watch the righties squirm.

I guess I don't understand what you mean. A National ID card would be wildly unpopular with a lot of people, not just the "righties."

I know that I would never support it.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/15/2012, 7:15 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

I guess I don't understand what you mean. A National ID card would be wildly unpopular with a lot of people, not just the "righties."

If you make it optional the privacy arguments go out the window. It would be used as an alternative for those without driver's licenses or whatever other documentation is required. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/15/2012, 7:34 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

If you make it optional the privacy arguments go out the window. It would be used as an alternative for those without driver's licenses or whatever other documentation is required. Thoughts?

At a minimum I'd need to know the details of what documentation would be required in order to obtain one and what would be required in order to keep it "current." If it's the same stuff that's needed to obtain a photo ID, then I really don't see the point.

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/15/2012, 10:08 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

At a minimum I'd need to know the details of what documentation would be required in order to obtain one and what would be required in order to keep it "current." If it's the same stuff that's needed to obtain a photo ID, then I really don't see the point.
Social security records,Drivers license records for people that no longer drive. Personally I don't get the opposition to a national ID card. If you have a cell phone,own and drive a car,use a GPS,use credit cards,and pay taxes the government pretty much knows just about everything about you including your whereabouts on almost any given day.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/16/2012, 5:12 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Personally I don't get the opposition to a national ID card.

Well, we're getting a little off topic, because IMHO, this thread is more about the GOP's efforts to steal the next election

But from what I gather, people are strongly opposed to the idea of an RFID chip and the inclusion of "biometric" data.

Just curious - How do feel about the PATRIOT Act?

At some point, if we really want to discuss this stuff at length, we might want to consider starting a new thread.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/16/2012, 7:13 pm

Scorpion wrote:

Well, we're getting a little off topic, because IMHO, this thread is more about the GOP's efforts to steal the next election
Agreed. I'll answer the questions you posed here and if you want to go further,than yes,we should start a new thread.
Quote :
But from what I gather, people are strongly opposed to the idea of an RFID chip and the inclusion of "biometric" data.
RFID chips? That's a little paranoid if you ask me.
Quote :
I'm pretty much in favor of it as long as it's not abused.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty8/18/2012, 5:41 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

I'm pretty much in favor of it as long as it's not abused.

Really? IMHO, the Patriot Act is the poster child for "abuse." National Security Letters are just one example...

http://www.aclu.org/national-security-technology-and-liberty/national-security-letters

Quote :
The National Security Letter provision of the Patriot Act radically expanded the FBI's authority to demand personal customer records from Internet Service Providers, financial institutions and credit companies without prior court approval.

Through NSLs the FBI can compile vast dossiers about innocent people and obtain sensitive information such as the web sites a person visits, a list of e-mail addresses with which a person has corresponded, or even unmask the identity of a person who has posted anonymous speech on a political website.

The provision also allows the FBI to forbid or "gag" anyone who receives an NSL from telling anyone about the record demand. Since the Patriot Act was authorized in 2001, further relaxing restrictions on the FBI's use of the power, the number of NSLs issued has seen an astronomical increase. The Justice Department's Inspector General has reported that between 2003 and 2006, the FBI issued nearly 200,000 NSLs. The inspector General has also found serious FBI abuses of the NSL power.

I don't think people realize just how bad this monstrosity really is...
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/21/2012, 11:46 am

Maybe the whole thing is just a ploy to get more NRA members...
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/22/2012, 7:14 pm

Pennsylvania Democrats Exploit Voter ID Loophole
Quote :
A voter-ID mutiny launched by two Democratic-controlled Pennsylvania counties "showed signs of spreading across the state Friday, as Philadelphia and a handful of other local governments said they, too, would consider issuing poll-ready identification cards through county-run nursing homes and colleges," the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

"The move exploits a loophole in the new law that allows both colleges and senior-care centers to provide such cards to anyone who lives in the county -- not just to the people who attend those colleges or reside in those centers."
cheers
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/22/2012, 9:24 pm

Heretic wrote:

Maybe the whole thing is just a ploy to get more NRA members...

This video is fucking awesome!

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/24/2012, 1:59 pm

Shocked
Republicans look for voter fraud, find little
Quote :
DENVER (AP) — Republican election officials who promised to root out voter fraud so far are finding little evidence of a widespread problem.

State officials in key presidential battleground states have found only a tiny fraction of the illegal voters they initially suspected existed. Searches in Colorado and Florida have yielded numbers that amount to less than one-tenth of 1 percent of all registered voters in either state.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 11:45 am

Typical...
Why Isn't Fox News Covering Florida "Voter Fraud" Story? Hint: It Involves The GOP
Quote :
For years ago Fox News helped turn ACORN into a dirty word among conservatives by leading an often-hysterical right-wing crusade against the community activist group, charging it time and again with "voter fraud" on behalf of candidate Obama. In order to bloster its flimsy "voter fraud" attacks, the network repeatedly harped on reports that ACORN canvassers had submitted questionable voter registration forms.

Yet this week Fox has shown little interest in covering the unfolding story out of Florida, where the state's Republican Party has cut ties with a consulting firm accused of handing in more than 100 dubious voter registration forms.

From Tuesday night's Palm Beach Post:
Quote :
The Republican Party of Florida is dumping a firm it paid more than $1.3 million to register new voters, after Palm Beach County Elections Supervisor Susan Bucher flagged 106 "questionable" registration applications turned in by the contractor this month.
In an interview with blogger Brad Friedman, Bucher described the "similarities in the signatures and certain characteristics in the applications that were very disturbing" on registration applications collected by the firm. The "disturbing" defects on the forms included addresses of existing registered voters changed to commercial buildings or addresses and, "in some places, they were changing political parties."

Yesterday, Michael Isikoff reported that the registration troubles had spread:

Quote :
NBC News has learned that four other Florida counties have also reported hundreds of possible fraudulent registration forms submitted by the firm, including apparent dead people being registered as new voters. Prosecutors in two counties are investigating possible voter fraud by the GOP consulting firm, officials said.

And Thursday afternoon, Republicans in Colorado also pulled the plug on the voter registration firm, Strategic Allied Consulting, run by veteran GOP consultant Nathan Sproul.

The allegations lodged against Sproul's company are similar to the ones ACORN faced in 2008; workers submitted voter registration forms that contained dubious information. In `08, that was enough to light a short fuse on Fox News and within the right-wing media, as players rushed in to condemn the independent ACORN group as a corrupt and a criminal extension of the Obama campaign. (In 2009, a majority of Republicans believed ACORN had stolen the election for Obama.)

Note that in the unfolding Florida story, the firm in question was paid directly by the Republican Party and is accused of ACORN-like activities. But on Fox News, it's crickets.

In fact this morning, Brian Kilmeade hosted a Fox & Friends panel discussion about voter fraud. In 2008, the allegation that ACORN submitted questionable registration forms was routinely referred to and condemned as "voter fraud" on Fox. (To this day, Fox treats misaddressed voter registration forms as "fraud.") But this morning, Kilmeade and his guests made no mention of the fact that the Republican Party was just forced to fire a consulting firm for submitting potentially bogus voter registration forms; forms being reviewed by local law enforcement.

At Fox News, the hotbed for "voter fraud" stories, the embarrassing news from Florida is of little concern.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 1:45 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Typical...
Why Isn't Fox News Covering Florida "Voter Fraud" Story? Hint: It Involves The GOP
Quote :
For years ago Fox News helped turn ACORN into a dirty word among conservatives by leading an often-hysterical right-wing crusade against the community activist group, charging it time and again with "voter fraud" on behalf of candidate Obama. In order to bloster its flimsy "voter fraud" attacks, the network repeatedly harped on reports that ACORN canvassers had submitted questionable voter registration forms.

Yet this week Fox has shown little interest in covering the unfolding story out of Florida, where the state's Republican Party has cut ties with a consulting firm accused of handing in more than 100 dubious voter registration forms.

Quote :
The Republican Party of Florida is dumping a firm it paid more than $1.3 million to register new voters, after Palm Beach County Elections Supervisor Susan Bucher flagged 106 "questionable" registration applications turned in by the contractor this month.
In an interview with blogger Brad Friedman, Bucher described the "similarities in the signatures and certain characteristics in the applications that were very disturbing" on registration applications collected by the firm. The "disturbing" defects on the forms included addresses of existing registered voters changed to commercial buildings or addresses and, "in some places, they were changing political parties."

Quote :
NBC News has learned that four other Florida counties have also reported hundreds of possible fraudulent registration forms submitted by the firm, including apparent dead people being registered as new voters. Prosecutors in two counties are investigating possible voter fraud by the GOP consulting firm, officials said.

And Thursday afternoon, Republicans in Colorado also pulled the plug on the voter registration firm, Strategic Allied Consulting, run by veteran GOP consultant Nathan Sproul.

The allegations lodged against Sproul's company are similar to the ones ACORN faced in 2008; workers submitted voter registration forms that contained dubious information. In `08, that was enough to light a short fuse on Fox News and within the right-wing media, as players rushed in to condemn the independent ACORN group as a corrupt and a criminal extension of the Obama campaign. (In 2009, a majority of Republicans believed ACORN had stolen the election for Obama.)

Note that in the unfolding Florida story, the firm in question was paid directly by the Republican Party and is accused of ACORN-like activities. But on Fox News, it's crickets.

In fact this morning, Brian Kilmeade hosted a Fox & Friends panel discussion about voter fraud. In 2008, the allegation that ACORN submitted questionable registration forms was routinely referred to and condemned as "voter fraud" on Fox. (To this day, Fox treats misaddressed voter registration forms as "fraud.") But this morning, Kilmeade and his guests made no mention of the fact that the Republican Party was just forced to fire a consulting firm for submitting potentially bogus voter registration forms; forms being reviewed by local law enforcement.

At Fox News, the hotbed for "voter fraud" stories, the embarrassing news from Florida is of little concern.

The Republican party discovered potential fraud and, by immediately firing the firm responsible, did what it could to rectify the problem.
That's kind of a demonstration of .... what's the word?
Integrity?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 3:16 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Typical...
Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

[b]The Republican party discovered potential fraud and, by immediately firing the firm responsible, did what it could to rectify the problem.
Integrity?
Nice try,but that wasn't the main point of the story,was it? Do you know what the main point was?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 3:59 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

[quote="happy jack”] The Republican party discovered potential fraud and, by immediately firing the firm responsible, did what it could to rectify the problem.
Integrity?[/quote]

Artie60438 wrote:
Nice try,but that wasn't the main point of the story,was it? Do you know what the main point was?

[b]No, not “nice try”.
How about “nice fact”?
I don’t see anything at all embarrassing about the fact that these people identified a problem and immediately corrected it.
Do you?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 4:14 pm

Voter registration problems widening in Florida
Quote :
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — What first appeared to be an isolated problem in one Florida county has now spread statewide, with election officials in at least seven counties informing prosecutors or state election officials about questionable voter registration forms filled out on behalf of the Republican Party of Florida.

State Republican officials already have fired the vendor it had hired to register voters, and on Thursday took the additional step of filing an election fraud complaint against the company, Strategic Allied Consulting, with state officials.

A spokesman for Florida's GOP said the matter was being treated very seriously.

"We are doing what we can to find out how broad the scope is," said Brian Burgess, the spokesman.

Florida is the battleground state where past election problems led to the chaotic recount that followed the 2000 presidential election.

The Florida state party has paid Strategic Allied Consulting more than $1.3 million, and the Republican National Committee used the group for nearly $3 million of work in Nevada, North Carolina, Colorado and Virginia.

The company said earlier this week that it was cooperating with elections officials in Florida.
Quote :
It said the suspect forms were turned in by one person, who has been fired.
One person operating in 7 different counties? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 4:24 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Florida is the battleground state where past election problems led to the chaotic recount that followed the 2000 presidential election.

It wasn't "election problems" that led to the "chaotic recount".
It was Al Gore throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to admit that he had lost.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 4:31 pm

happy jack wrote:

The Republican party discovered potential fraud and, by immediately firing the firm responsible, did what it could to rectify the problem.
Integrity?

If the GOP or the Romney campaign had any "integrity," they would never have hired Nathan Sproul in the first place. IIRC, this is the same asshole that oversaw the destruction of thousands of Democratic registration forms during the 2004 campaign. Think they didn't know about his history? Give me a frickin' break!
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty9/28/2012, 5:12 pm

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Integrity?

If the GOP or the Romney campaign had any "integrity," they would never have hired Nathan Sproul in the first place. IIRC, this is the same asshole that oversaw the destruction of thousands of Democratic registration forms during the 2004 campaign. Think they didn't know about his history? Give me a frickin' break!

I had never heard of this guy or his reputation before, but all I have seen is that Sproul has been accused of destroying registration forms. If you are aware of any proof of this, please enlighten me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Voter Identification   Voter Identification - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Voter Identification
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next