HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Japan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
happy jack

PostSubject: Japan   3/16/2011, 5:01 pm

Pray for these guys.
(Heretic, maybe you can just go through the motions.)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/15/eveningnews/main20043554.shtml

March 15, 2011

Fukushima heroes: Not afraid to die

If the Fukushima nuclear plant's crisis is not calmed soon, Japan will need more brave volunteers to battle it
After three explosions at Fukushima's nuclear complex, Jim Axelrod reports on the condition of the estimated 50 workers inside the plant and the dangers they face amid high levels of radiation.
Since the disaster struck in Japan, about 800 workers have been evacuated from the damaged nuclear complex in Fukushima. The radiation danger is that great.
However, CBS News correspondent Jim Axelrod reports that a handful have stayed on the job, risking their lives, to try to save the lives of countless people they don't even know. The exact number of workers is unclear and has been reported to be anywhere from 50 to 180.
Although communication with the workers inside the nuclear plant is nearly impossible, a CBS News consultant spoke to a Japanese official who made contact with one of the workers inside the control center.
The official said that his friend told him that he was not afraid to die, that that was his job.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/16/2011, 6:11 pm

happy jack wrote:
Pray for these guys.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/15/eveningnews/main20043554.shtml

March 15, 2011

Fukushima heroes: Not afraid to die

If the Fukushima nuclear plant's crisis is not calmed soon, Japan will need more brave volunteers to battle it
After three explosions at Fukushima's nuclear complex, Jim Axelrod reports on the condition of the estimated 50 workers inside the plant and the dangers they face amid high levels of radiation.
Since the disaster struck in Japan, about 800 workers have been evacuated from the damaged nuclear complex in Fukushima. The radiation danger is that great.
However, CBS News correspondent Jim Axelrod reports that a handful have stayed on the job, risking their lives, to try to save the lives of countless people they don't even know. The exact number of workers is unclear and has been reported to be anywhere from 50 to 180.
Although communication with the workers inside the nuclear plant is nearly impossible, a CBS News consultant spoke to a Japanese official who made contact with one of the workers inside the control center.
The official said that his friend told him that he was not afraid to die, that that was his job.

It's times like these that really make me grateful to be living in relative comfort. It's kind of hard for me to complain about much when I consider what the Japanese are going through right now...

Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/16/2011, 7:18 pm

Good point, Scorp.This post is from a co-worker's son in Japan:
First I would like to say simply that I am fine. I am far enough inland the the waves aren't a problem and while the earthquake was considered large and we are near the epicenter we (by which I mean the town) is fine. I still have a house with power water and gas. In fact the only thing that seems to be giving me trouble is my internet and cell phone service which likes to cut in and out. Now that the fact that I am okay has hopefully sunk in I will give you a run down of what has happened to me thus far.
Anyway I had come home and gone to my school for the 6th grade graduation party with the teachers which was to start at 3:10. While I waited I sat in the teachers room at my desk filling out congratulations certificates for the following week.I was not alone there were a few teachers in there that do more office work and only teach a few special classes like science or what not. When the earthquake hit at first I didn't think much of it. To this point in time my reaction to earthquakes (which mark at 6 or so) has been to pause my video game shrug my shoulders and then continue on with what I was doing. I would have most likely done this again except for most of the teachers in the teachers room ran outside and things started to fall. Me and one other teacher remained inside. I can honestly say I wasn't scared or really that worried. I didn't even realize that I should be until after the earthquake when everyone came outside and most of the kids were crying. once we were all outside it started to snow, hard. my black suit was quickly white with snow. Unfortunately most of the kids didn't have there coats. With the wind making a tarp impossible the kids were taken over to the preschool which was just built. That way the kids could be under the yawning and get out of the wind and snow while still being safe. We waited a little bit for the aftershocks to calm down before the vice principals the secretary teacher guy and I went in to check out the damage. While the classrooms were trashed the over all building was fine.Once all the kids left, about 5:30, the teachers went home. There was no power at his point. I figured my TV, PS3, and wine collect would be the first amongst the casualties of my house. Much to my surprise all three were fine. Instead only my rug was ruined. My A&W fell spilling on it and setting there ruined it. Otherwise my house was in good shape, though it did need to be cleaned. Later I discovered that my kitchen facet also drips at this point but that is a very minor thing given the size of the earthquake. That weekend then I went and saw the damage in Koriyama, which all in all wasn't that bad, the worst by far that I saw was a kappa sushi which at first looked fine until you looked in the window and saw the roof. I also cleaned/rearranged my house. On Monday I went and helped to clean up the schools with the teachers. As of today school is out until the 21st. The aftershocks were minor and the only real danger that still seems to be looming here is the reactors which are around 50 miles away. . Know that I am safe and fine at this point and don't expect that to change anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
chuckmo48

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/16/2011, 9:41 pm

It was reported by CNN that the Japanese are looking for men 50 or older to help with reactors since it usually takes 20 to 30 years for illnesses due to radiation to show up...How sad! From what I read and heard the operation is still being run by the private company that owns the reactors...I think it is time for the International Atomic Commission to take over...
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/16/2011, 10:41 pm

happy jack wrote:
Pray for these guys.

We atheists/agnostics donate to relief efforts instead. Just doesn't make sense praying to the guy that caused it.

I found some interesting vids about the quakes and the resulting tsunami. The amount of energy involved is absolutely staggering. I'll post 'em in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 8:13 am

Here's a map overlaying the quakes leading up to and after the big one. It hits around 1:18, and there's an eerie calm before it hits, and that everything just lights up... Truly terrifying.

The second is a computer model showing the resulting tsunami.

They're saying California may be next, since it's all part of the same plate and one of the last spots not hit by a quake.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 9:22 am

There have been strange events with the volcanoes in Hawaii. Right before the Japan earthquake the lava in Kilauea suddenly drained out. It had been rising slowly and is now starting to refill. In one of the rift cones the lava drained out and the floor collapsed.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 9:23 am

Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 9:30 am

Yikes. I only briefly heard about it the other day, but it hasn't popped up on my daily science reads yet. It's almost certainly related to the quake, isn't it? That much seismic activity in such a short amount time, it had to be.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 9:47 am

Heretic wrote:
Yikes. I only briefly heard about it the other day, but it hasn't popped up on my daily science reads yet. It's almost certainly related to the quake, isn't it? That much seismic activity in such a short amount time, it had to be.

I have no idea whether it's related or not, because I'm no geoscientist, but it appears that the "collapse" of the floor actually happened almost a week before the Japan quake, so it may well be a totally unrelated occurence.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/03/10/us-hawaii-volcano-idINTRE7290SU20110310

Quote :
The latest episode began with the 370-foot collapse of the floor of the Pu'u O'o crater and opening of the 535-yard long Kamoamoa fissure on March 5.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 5:58 pm

(Courtesy of arclight)
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 7:57 pm

They always said California would slip in the ocean.

I have deep concerns now that my daughter lives eight miles west of Hollywood, bordering thoe ocean.

I have been hearing this since thoe 70s.

Do you guys/gals think it is going to someday happen?

Also have my dad's bro and his adult children (my aunt, uncle, cousins) and their extended families living in CA.

Would you be concerned?

I am.

For years, there was talk of the fault line extending from MS, through MO, IL, on up. Can't think of the original name, Miranda?

They claimed years ago that it was a matter of time before an earthquake would happen in that area, and would occur at great magnitude.
Or, is it just a repeated myth from decades ago?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 8:00 pm

happy jack wrote:

(Courtesy of arclight)

I don't get that...Jack, enlighten me.

I really must be getting old.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 8:12 pm

UrRight wrote:
happy jack wrote:

(Courtesy of arclight)

I don't get that...Jack, enlighten me.

I really must be getting old.
If I have to explain it, it won't be funny.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/17/2011, 9:38 pm

Unless you explain it, it I can't laugh.

Stating that...I bet you all got a double laugh.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/18/2011, 6:46 am

Rush is a rock band.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/18/2011, 9:10 am

Well, that is as funny as picturing Jack as a car/tire jack in Japan.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/18/2011, 1:00 pm

Here is a link that lists global volcano activity. There is quite a lot going on in the Ring of Fire.

http://www.volcano.si.edu/reports/usgs/
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Japan   3/22/2011, 2:34 pm

Thought this was relevant...

Bogus Claim: Japan Earthquake Won't Trigger a California Quake

Quote :
"There is no evidence for a connection between all of the Pacific Rim earthquakes," Nathan Bangs, a geophysicist who studies tectonic processes at the University of Texas Institute for Geophysics, told Life's Little Mysteries. "I don't know what the basis is for the statements and implications in the Newsweek article, but there is no evidence that there is a link."

U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) earthquake geologist David Schwartz, who heads the San Francisco Bay Area Earthquake Hazards Project, concurred. "Simon Winchester is a popular science writer, not a scientist," Schwartz said. "I'm not saying we won't have an earthquake here in California at some point in the future, but there really is no physical connection between these earthquakes."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Japan   

Back to top Go down

Japan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: