Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

State of the City

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigFan

BigFan

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: State of the City   State of the City Empty3/7/2011, 7:06 pm

Packed City Hall to hear the mayor speak this evening. Very proud citizens.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the City   State of the City Empty3/8/2011, 5:30 am

Hammond mayor touts city’s Census data

By Christin Nance Lazerus
Last Modified: Mar 8, 2011 02:02AM

Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott Jr. touted his city’s status as the largest city in Northwest Indiana in his state of the city address.

When 2010 Census data was recently released, Hammond took over the top spot from Gary for the first time in 100 years with 80,830 residents, McDermott told the capacity crowd at city hall Monday night.

McDermott said the city’s ability to weather the economic recession and uncertain housing market is due in part to the city’s encouragement of home ownership.

“... There is a direct correlation between the percentage of people who own homes and the stability of the city, overall,” McDermott said. “According to the Lake County Auditor’s office, the number of Hammond homestead exemptions has remained relatively unchanged.”

McDermott emphasized several ways that the city is making the community more attractive for families and businesses.

“Since becoming your mayor, I have not laid off a single police officer,” McDermott said. “My administration’s vigilance against crime has resulted in an 18 percent overall reduction in crime.”

McDermott highlighted economic development efforts, such as the recent openings of Cabela’s, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot in the past few years.

“These investments show confidence in our city and are the result of our dogged, determined efforts to keep and create jobs in Hammond,” he said.
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/4194628-418/hammond-mayor-touts-citys-census-data.html
Back to top Go down
BigFan

BigFan

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the City   State of the City Empty3/8/2011, 7:16 am

He also mentioned that Cabelas was the top performing store in the country in 2010. The Woodmar Walmart was the best per sq ft performing store in the world. And we all know how well Woodmar Carsons performs.

These great stats will be recognized and draw future large retailers back to the city.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the City   State of the City Empty3/8/2011, 3:52 pm

Well, don't be surprised. I have some people I know moving into Hammond, fleeing IL.

This morning it was on the news: TWO issues that already have people coming to IN.

They interviewed people at Gas City...flocks of them coming from IL to purchase food, gas and cigs. The other issue was taxing 401K and pensions on the rich.

Most of them they interviewed, one struck my brain..he said he is moving to MO, as soon as he retires. Others mentioned moving to IN.

IL just doesn't get it. Get rid of 1,400 layers of unneeded gov't employees, tighten your belts and quit the perks.

Everyone I know is moving out. Including my brother, willing to take a loss on their home...once we know the outcome of my dad, and where my mom will relocate from Mich.

IL is screwed up. Indianapolis and WI. They stand to lose.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the City   State of the City Empty3/8/2011, 3:57 pm

I mean, if Mitch adds a gas tax, he is nuts. As far as the idiots fleeing Wisc. And Indpls, that is a positive for fining them 250.00a day. What is left out is, are they still using their benefits of traveling, lodging, food per diem?

As far as Walker in Wisc. Gotta give him credit for sticking to his guns.

Residents of IL on TV said they will move if their pensions and 401K gets taxed.

Mitch would be nuts to add a gas tax right now while IN is making money from Statlines.

son has a rental and got a lot of calls from IL residents. Fleeing IL!!!!

Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the City   State of the City Empty3/8/2011, 4:44 pm

decent speech that covered the mayors accomplishments pretty well. i did find the best producing cabelas store very interesting since just after it opened the naybobs kept spreading rumors it was closing and not doing well. that shows they were caught lieing again (may she rest in peace but she lied and im not gonna let her passing give her a pass on previous lies)

my only wish is he would have been a bit more forcefull in his restating to his original vision for the city. i mean i know what he wants to turn hammond into and back the mayor in about 99% of it. but i think most of the public could have used a reminder of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

State of the City Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the City   State of the City Empty

Back to top Go down

State of the City
Page 1 of 1