Share | 

Happenings in Wisconsin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/14/2011, 4:54 pm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2058601,00.html

Wisconsin's Governor Wins, but Is He Now Dead Man Walker?

By Dawn Reiss / Madison Saturday, Mar. 12, 2011

Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!!
Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!! Crosshairs!!!
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/14/2011, 5:56 pm

happy jack wrote:

Crosshairs!!!

You know, IIRC, there wasn't much of that "crosshairs" stuff going on here, Jack. I think Sparks started a thread and put up a video, which was mildly amusing, but that was about the extent of it. I could be wrong, but I think there was a more extensive discussion of Palin's "blood libel" comment than the "crosshairs" stuff. The "crosshairs" argument just didn't get much traction here, probably because it was almost immediately seen as being pretty bogus.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/14/2011, 6:16 pm

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Crosshairs!!!

You know, IIRC, there wasn't much of that "crosshairs" stuff going on here, Jack. I think Sparks started a thread and put up a video, which was mildly amusing, but that was about the extent of it. I could be wrong, but I think there was a more extensive discussion of Palin's "blood libel" comment than the "crosshairs" stuff. The "crosshairs" argument just didn't get much traction here, probably because it was almost immediately seen as being pretty bogus.

Yeah, you're right on that, Scorpion. The usual suspects, for a change, miraculously did not blame Palin for this one - everybody else but the shooter was blamed, however.

Artie60438 wrote:
Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik isn't afraid to point the finger at who is culpable:

Artie60438 wrote:
DHS probing shooter's ties to fanatical group
By: Maggie Haberman and Carrie Budoff Brown
January 9, 2011 09:46 AM EST

Quote :
The feds are reportedly probing whether shooting suspect Jared Lee Loughner has ties to an anti-Semitic, anti-government hate group that has ads for tea party organizations on its website.

A Department of Homeland Security memo quoted by Fox News says the agency is looking into whether Loughner is “possibly linked” to the fanatical group American Renaissance.

The group promotes views that are “anti-government, anti-immigration, anti-ZOG (Zionist Occupation Government), anti-Semitic,” the memo says.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 8:56 am

happy jack wrote:
Yeah, you're right on that, Scorpion. The usual suspects, for a change, miraculously did not blame Palin for this one - everybody else but the shooter was blamed, however.

. . .

Artie60438 wrote:

Quote :
The feds are reportedly probing whether shooting suspect Jared Lee Loughner has ties to an anti-Semitic, anti-government hate group that has ads for tea party organizations on its website.

A Department of Homeland Security memo quoted by Fox News says the agency is looking into whether Loughner is “possibly linked” to the fanatical group American Renaissance.

The group promotes views that are “anti-government, anti-immigration, anti-ZOG (Zionist Occupation Government), anti-Semitic,” the memo says.

Really? What's wrong with that one?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 9:26 am

Heretic wrote:
happy jack wrote:

. . .

Artie60438 wrote:

Not sure I understand what you are asking.
Can you clarify?
Back to top Go down
chuckmo48

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 11:12 am

Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 1:48 pm

happy jack wrote:
Heretic wrote:
happy jack wrote:

. . .

Can you clarify?

I'm not sure exactly what Heretic meant, but I have a question. Why would you object to DHS looking into any associations that the shooter may have had? I think it's pretty obvious that the shooter is at fault. I don't think that anyone would dispute that. But I fail to see why trying to ascertain the shooter's motivations (or if he had any associations that may have contributed to his motivations) is irrelevant. That's not what you're saying, is it?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 5:17 pm

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Heretic wrote:

Can you clarify?

I'm not sure exactly what Heretic meant, but I have a question. Why would you object to DHS looking into any associations that the shooter may have had? I think it's pretty obvious that the shooter is at fault. I don't think that anyone would dispute that. But I fail to see why trying to ascertain the shooter's motivations (or if he had any associations that may have contributed to his motivations) is irrelevant. That's not what you're saying, is it?
By all means, the shooter's motives should be looked into. I'm just amused that the motives were immediately, with no apparent logic nor proof, linked to Sarah Palin, talk radio, and conservatives in general.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 8:53 pm

happy jack wrote:
By all means, the shooter's motives should be looked into. I'm just amused that the motives were immediately, with no apparent logic nor proof, linked to Sarah Palin, talk radio, and conservatives in general.

Yeah. Well unfortunately, this country has an extremely toxic political climate. Thankfully, it is still mostly a vocal minority that poisons our political discourse.

I thought that the President gave an excellent speech at the memorial service I don't know if you saw it or not, but IMHO, he hit all the right notes... just a short excerpt...

http://vidyutjain.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/obama-arizona-memorial-speech-full-text/

Quote :
And I believe that for all our imperfections, we are full of decency and goodness, and that the forces that divide us are not as strong as those that unite us.

That’s what I believe, in part because that’s what a child like Christina Taylor Green believed. )

Imagine — imagine for a moment, here was a young girl who was just becoming aware of our democracy; just beginning to understand the obligations of citizenship; just starting to glimpse the fact that some day she, too, might play a part in shaping her nation’s future. She had been elected to her student council. She saw public service as something exciting and hopeful. She was off to meet her congresswoman, someone she was sure was good and important and might be a role model. She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism or vitriol that we adults all too often just take for granted.

I want to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as Christina imagined it. I want America to be as good as she imagined it. All of us — we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children’s expectations.

Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/15/2011, 10:23 pm

happy jack wrote:
Heretic wrote:

Can you clarify?

The logic doesn't follow. You say they blamed everyone but the shooter, and then point to an article discussing DHS investigating a possible assassination. The first link made sense; I didn't see it in this one.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/16/2011, 6:34 am

Heretic wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Heretic wrote:

Can you clarify?

The logic doesn't follow. You say they blamed everyone but the shooter, and then point to an article discussing DHS investigating a possible assassination. The first link made sense; I didn't see it in this one.
I see what you're saying, but I was looking at it more as just another case of "the right-wing made me do it" (and the alleged link to the group never existed, to the best of my knowledge).
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/18/2011, 12:56 pm

Just saw this...

Judge blocks contentious Wisconsin union law

Quote :
Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie would not comment on whether the governor would push to call the Legislature back to pass the bill again, either in its current form or with any changes. Werwie said Walker was confident the bill would become law in the near future. "This legislation is still working through the legal process," Werwie said.

A spokesman for Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald declined to comment, citing the ongoing legal fight. A spokesman for Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Opponents of the law were hopeful the judge's ruling would lead to concessions.
"I would hope the Republicans would take this as an opportunity to sit down with Democrats and negotiate a proposal we could all get behind," said Democratic Sen. Jon Erpenbach, one of the 14 senators who stayed in Illinois for three weeks in an attempt to stop the bill from passing.

Let's hope that the Republicans take this chance to try and get this situation resolved in an equitable manner. I really don't have any illusions that will actually happen, however... not after watching the
thuggish political tactics that the Republicans have employed on this issue so far...
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/25/2011, 9:24 am

Scorpion wrote:

Yeah. Well it will be really interesting when we find out who actually sent this email. At first glance, it seems really over the top to me. Either it's been fabricated by someone trying to make the unions look bad, or it is from some frickin' maniac. Let's hope that the Justice Department gets to the bottom of this ASAP.
happy jack wrote:
Yes, that must be the case.Rolling Eyes

Well, Well, Well... Look at what we have here...

Ind. prosecutor suggested fake attack on Wis. governor

Quote :
An Indiana prosecutor said one of his deputies resigned Thursday after admitting he sent an email to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker suggesting the Republican fake an attack on himself to discredit the public employee unions protesting his plan to strip them of nearly all collective bargaining rights.

Johnson County Prosecutor Brad Cooper said Carlos Lam resigned in a phone call about 5 a.m. Thursday after acknowledging that he sent the Feb. 19 email to Walker suggesting "the situation in WI presents a good opportunity for what's called a 'false flag' operation."

"If you could employ an associate who pretends to be sympathetic to the unions' cause to physically attack you (or even use a firearm against you), you could discredit the public unions," Lam wrote in the email, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

Wow. And you thought it was a stretch to think that someone may have sent the other threatening e-mail, in order to make the unions look bad?

So what do you think now, Jack?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/25/2011, 4:31 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Yeah. Well it will be really interesting when we find out who actually sent this email. At first glance, it seems really over the top to me. Either it's been fabricated by someone trying to make the unions look bad, or it is from some frickin' maniac. Let's hope that the Justice Department gets to the bottom of this ASAP.
happy jack wrote:
Yes, that must be the case.Rolling Eyes

Well, Well, Well... Look at what we have here...

Ind. prosecutor suggested fake attack on Wis. governor

Quote :
An Indiana prosecutor said one of his deputies resigned Thursday after admitting he sent an email to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker suggesting the Republican fake an attack on himself to discredit the public employee unions protesting his plan to strip them of nearly all collective bargaining rights.

Johnson County Prosecutor Brad Cooper said Carlos Lam resigned in a phone call about 5 a.m. Thursday after acknowledging that he sent the Feb. 19 email to Walker suggesting "the situation in WI presents a good opportunity for what's called a 'false flag' operation."

"If you could employ an associate who pretends to be sympathetic to the unions' cause to physically attack you (or even use a firearm against you), you could discredit the public unions," Lam wrote in the email, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

Wow. And you thought it was a stretch to think that someone may have sent the other threatening e-mail, in order to make the unions look bad?

So what do you think now, Jack?
Ah do declare!
Ah may have to lie down in the parlor until these vapors pass!
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/25/2011, 7:33 pm

happy jack wrote:
Ah do declare!

Good Gracious!

Here you go, Jack...

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    3/26/2011, 3:38 pm

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Ah do declare!

Good Gracious!

Here you go, Jack...

Why, thank you!
Ah have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    5/10/2011, 1:47 pm

Scorpion wrote:

Let the recalls begin!
IMHO, the Republicans have made a huge tactical miscalculation, and now they are going to pay for it.

The stage is set. By the end of the summer, we will know who is the ultimate winner in Wisconsin.
There will be 9 recall elections, 6 Republicans and 3 Democrats. The Democrats need a net gain of three seats to take over the Wisconsin Senate.

IMHO, the Democrats definitely have the momentum to pull it off.

Wisconsin recalls hit deadline: Where things stand

Quote :
Recall elections were triggered against six Republicans — Robert Cowles (Green Bay), Alberta Darling (River Hills), Sheila Harsdorf (River Falls), Randy Hopper (Fond du Lac) , Dan Kapanke (La Crosse), and Luther Olson (Ripon). Three Democrats will also be subject to recalls: Dave Hansen (Green Bay), Jim Holperin (Conover) and Robert Wirch (Pleasant Prarie).

Quote :
Democrats say that the enthusiasm is higher on their side, pointing to a legislative victory Tuesday night; in the state’s 94th assembly district, a Democrat won a seat held by Republicans for 17 years. The former occupant had gone on to work for the Walker administration.

“More change is coming soon, but this victory is a clear pivot point for the citizens of Wisconsin,” state party chairman Mike Tate said in a statement. While Democrats’ preferred candidate looks to have lost a hotly-contested Supreme Court race last month (a recount is ongoing), Democratic partisans argue that it means something to come close in a previously non-competitive race.

Democrats also note that they filed about fifty percent more signatures than was necessary in the six Republican-held state Senate districts — a sign, they say, how energized their voters are

Recall elections have never been attempted on this scale before... it's going to be really interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    5/10/2011, 6:01 pm

I like the Democrats chances. Scott Walker and his followers did not run on what they put into law. Like the House Repubs who ran on jobs,jobs,jobs. Instead, all we got were wars on Planned Parenthood,NPR,and other distracting nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/2/2011, 2:46 pm

Well isn't this special....
Wisconsin recall: Conservatives sending Dems absentee ballots with instructions to return them late
Quote :
The main event in Wisconsin, when six Republican state senators face recall general elections, takes place on August 9. However, Koch-backed Americans for Prosperity is sending Democrats in some of those districts absentee ballots with instructions to return them by August 11. Politico has the story of blatant vote suppression:

Quote :
Americans for Prosperity is sending absentee ballots to Democrats in at least two Wisconsin state Senate recall districts with instructions to return the paperwork after the election date.

The fliers, obtained by POLITICO, ask solidly Democratic voters to return ballots for the Aug. 9 election to the city clerk "before Aug. 11."

A Democrat on the ground in Wisconsin said the fliers were discovered to be hitting doors in District 2 and District 10 over the weekend.

"These are people who are our 1's in the voterfile who we already knew. They ain't AFP members, that's for damn sure," the source said.
A "1" in a voterfile is someone who a campaign considers a lock to vote for their side. So, Americans for Prosperity is intentionally giving hardcore Democratic voters bad election information in an attempt to trick them into not voting.

Update: A couple of the voters who received the mailings have filed complaints against Americans for Prosperity to the Government Accountability Board. From a We Are Wisconsin press release over email:

Quote :
Today, voters in Senate Districts 2 and 10 who received the mailers filed complaints with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, alleging serious violations of Wisconsin election law. The mailing asks solidly-Democratic voters to return the absentee ballots for the August 9 recall election “before Aug. 11” – the appropriate return date for an August 16th election.

Charles E. Shultz of Hudson is a self-described card-carrying Democrat who received the flyer appealing to him as “a member of Americans for Prosperity who lives in a district where one of the eight senate recall elections are taking place.” As Shultz alleged in his complaint:

“I believe I was targeted by this Republican group because I am a Democrat and a senior citizen.”
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/2/2011, 5:12 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Well isn't this special....
Wisconsin recall: Conservatives sending Dems absentee ballots with instructions to return them late

Here's the source link from Politico...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/davidcatanese/0811/AFP_Wisconsin_ballots_have_late_return_date.html?showall

Obviously, I'm outraged by this. I'm always outraged by voter suppression tactics. I'd like to be able to say that this is unusual, but it's been my experience that this crap seems to be the Standard Operating Procedure for the Republican party. I'd be equally ticked off if Democrats engaged in this kind of thing, but I've never seen or heard of Democrats using voter suppression tactics... ever.

This is true "Banana Republican" stuff.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/2/2011, 6:37 pm

Scorpion wrote:
I'd be equally ticked off if Democrats engaged in this kind of thing, but I've never seen or heard of Democrats using voter suppression tactics... ever.
This is true "Banana Republican" stuff.
You're right. Democrats have always fought for voters rights while the GOP does everything it can to suppress them.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/2/2011, 7:11 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

You're right. Democrats have always fought for voters rights while the GOP does everything it can to suppress them.

Uh huh.

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/2/2011, 7:45 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Uh huh.

Really? Is that all you got? One isolated incident? Involving the New Black Panther Party? While it was admittedly a chilling sight, there is absolutely no proof that the Democratic Party had anything to do with these individuals at all. I never said that Democratic voters never act out.

On the other hand, organized voter suppression by the Republican Party is the norm rather than the exception. But that's just fine with you, isn't it?

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/3/2011, 6:37 am

Scorpion wrote:

On the other hand, organized voter suppression by the Republican Party is the norm rather than the exception.

The norm?!?!?
What absolute bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    8/3/2011, 9:19 am

happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

On the other hand, organized voter suppression by the Republican Party is the norm rather than the exception.

The norm?!?!?
What absolute bullshit.
Really Jack? Really? You really want to go down this road?

Examples of voter suppression in the United States

Quote :
2002 New Hampshire Senate election phone jamming scandal
In the 2002 New Hampshire Senate election phone jamming scandal, Republican officials attempted to reduce the number of Democratic voters by paying professional telemarketers in Idaho to make repeated hang-up calls to the telephone numbers used by the Democratic Party's ride-to-the-polls phone lines on election day. By tying up the lines, voters seeking rides from the Democratic Party would have more difficulty reaching the party to ask for transportation to and from their polling places.[20][21]
[edit]2004 presidential election
In the U.S. presidential election of 2004, some voters got phone calls with false information intended to keep them from voting—saying that their voting place had been changed or that voting would take place on Wednesday as well as on Tuesday. Voters who believed this misinformation would go to the wrong polling place, or worse, not attempt to vote until after the election had ended.[22]
Other allegations surfaced in several states that the group called Voters Outreach of America had collected and submitted Republican voter registration forms while inappropriately discarding voter registration forms where the new voter had chosen to register with the Democratic Party. Such people would believe they had registered to vote, and would only discover on election day that they were not registered and could not cast a ballot.[23][24][25][26]
Michigan Republican state legislator John Pappageorge was quoted as saying, "If we do not suppress the Detroit vote, we're going to have a tough time in this election.".[27]
In 2006, four employees of the John Kerry campaign were convicted of slashing the tires of 25 vans rented by the Wisconsin state Republican Party which were to be used for driving Republican monitors to the polls. At the campaign workers' sentencing, Judge Michael B. Brennan told the defendants, "Voter suppression has no place in our country. Your crime took away that right to vote for some citizens."[28][29]
[edit]2006 Virginia Senate election
During the United States Senate election in Virginia, 2006, Secretary of the Virginia State Board of Elections Jean Jensen concluded that incidents of voter suppression appeared widespread and deliberate. Documented incidents of voter suppression include:[30]
Democratic voters receiving calls incorrectly informing them voting will lead to arrest.
Widespread calls fraudulently claiming to be "[Democratic Senate candidate Jim] Webb Volunteers," falsely telling voters their voting location had changed.
Fliers paid for by the Republican Party, stating "SKIP THIS ELECTION" that allegedly attempted to suppress African-American turnout.
The FBI has since launched an investigation into the suppression attempts.[31] Despite the allegations, democrat Jim Webb narrowly defeated incumbent George Allen.

Michigan
Prior to the 2008 United States Presidential Election, on September 16, 2008, Obama legal counsel announced that they would be seeking an injunction to stop an alleged caging scheme in Michigan wherein the state Republican party would use home foreclosure lists to challenge voters still using their foreclosed home as a primary address at the polls.[35] Michigan GOP officials called the suit "desperate."[36] A Federal Appeals court ordered the reinstatement of 5,500 voters wrongly purged from the voter rolls by the State:[34]
[edit]Minnesota
The conservative nonprofit Minnesota Majority has been reported as making phone calls claiming that the Minnesota Secretary of State had concerns about the validity of the voters registration. Their actions have been referred to the Ramsey County attorney's office and the U.S. Attorney are looking into Johnson's complaint. [37]
[edit]Montana
On October 5, 2008 the Republican Lt. Governor of Montana, John Bohlinger, accused the Montana Republican Party of vote caging to purge 6,000 voters from three counties which trend Democratic. These purges included decorated war veterans and active duty soldiers.[19]

The Republican Party attempted to have all 60,000 voters in the heavily Democratic city of Milwaukee who had registered since 1/1/2006 deleted from the voter rolls. The requests were rejected by the Milwaukee Election Commission with Republican commissioner Bob Spindell voting in favor of deletion."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_suppression
Everyone see the pattern here? With the exception of 4 individuals working for the Kerry campaign that were acting on their own when they slashed some tires,all of these incidents are connected to Republicans and conservatives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happenings in Wisconsin    

Back to top Go down

Happenings in Wisconsin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: