Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A disturbing trend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scorpion

PostSubject: A disturbing trend?   11/4/2010, 11:40 am

This was not an enjoyable election, to be sure, but there was one story that I found to be more than a little disconcerting....

Ouster of Iowa Judges Sends Signal to Bench

Stephen Mally for The New York Times

Quote :
An unprecedented vote to remove three Iowa Supreme Court justices who were part of the unanimous decision that legalized same-sex marriage in the state was celebrated by conservatives as a popular rebuke of judicial overreach, even as it alarmed proponents of an independent judiciary.

Quote :
Leaders of the recall campaign said the results should be a warning to judges elsewhere.

“I think it will send a message across the country that the power resides with the people,” said Bob Vander Plaats, an unsuccessful Republican candidate for governor who led the campaign. “It’s we the people, not we the courts.”

No, I'm sorry, but it is not "we the people" when we're talking about the Judiciary. Of course, I would have no problem with the people of a state deciding not to retain a judge, but in this case, there was an organized campaign funded by interest groups from outside of the state.

Our founding fathers specifically designed the Judiciary to be as independent as possible, in order to protect us from the "tyranny of the majority."

I really hope that the removal of judges simply because interest groups disagree with a court's decisions doesn't become a trend.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: A disturbing trend?   11/4/2010, 12:38 pm

Ugh... just read about that. Disgusting.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: A disturbing trend?   11/4/2010, 4:51 pm

Meanwhile in good old Cook County....4 Cook judges deemed unqualified by bar are retained by voters Every election I make it a point to try to vote out the slugs and almost every time,short of being in the news for letting out a serial killer, they end up being retained because voters are too lazy or ignorant to spend a few minutes researching them. Evil or Very Mad

It's a terrible system and when you have religious lobbyists interfering it just makes it worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A disturbing trend?   

Back to top Go down

A disturbing trend?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: