Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Borrowing the "pavillion" topic

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty
PostSubject: Borrowing the "pavillion" topic   Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty9/21/2010, 3:20 pm

For the first time since we had a company sponsored event at Wicker Park - after the early nineties when Stuart-Hooper Business Forms Manufacturing, Inc., I got the chance to "revisit" Wicker Park" much to the urging of my best friend of 25 years....and it knocked the sandals off my feet!

Back in the early '90s, I had a wonderful time as a new employee, and was told it was an annual event dating back for decades...holding a summer "Appreciation" picnic for all the employees. I had not gone back since then; the company folded under the founder's son, who held future picnics at forest preserves.

Nevertheless. I got the chance in late afternoon this week to re-visit Wicker Park with my best friend, who goes there so often...whether to walk the dog, read a book, just to sit and think...but rarely misses the FREE concerts every Thursday, traveling from Merrilville, (the good part of Merillville)...to not only take advantage of the free concerts, but to also walk the dogs, the trails, etc. Reflect on the picnic tables....

I couldn't believe how there are doggie bags along the trail to scoop up your dog/cat's poo. I couldn't believe the joggers, the walkers, the people bicycling (you can rent them there)...I didn't know such a place since I last visited.

I saw sooo many people, young to mid to old strolling, walking, running, talking...the free concerts on Thursdays are the among the things I didn't know existed not far from where I stake out...and if this can happen at the Pavillion in Hammond...it would be well worth any money they paid.

We stopped at Aldie's on the way home and gave our money to them..for a quick dinner..total: (we're picky!) $45.00 to make homemade dip/with veggies, shrimp, what'eva...I don't know if I gave the money to Munster or Hammond. (I assume Munste?????)

The point is, I hope the mayor lines up the same type of surroundings...the free concerts on a certain night...a club house or place where you can buy food. I didn't ask if they sell booze, but I was told you can bring your own and a blanket and smooze with the music. I was told you wouldn't want to pass up the dancing to the tune.... and everyone danced!

If this could happen to the pavillion they placed - not just for the festival...it would pay for itself at the end with just a small fee, if need to be, to get it back on ground where it can be free.

Most bands want the exposure and will contribute just for the exposure...so fans follow them elsewhere after they do their "stint" at the pavillion.

Walking trails..with a post for plastic bags for people who care, but forgot to bring their own bags are available.

Bikes for rent...

My best friend has not missed one band on a Thursday at that park the whole summer and she has a huge family and a huge array of friends...and it also serves a place for her to meet others whether friends or relatives...and a place for solice.

If Hammond models that park after what Wicker Park did, they would be flooded with patrons, and people that want that security of a environment to where they can freely put their dog in a contained area, or walk them along the trail.

If they ever disolved that park -
Wicker Park...it would have a devastating impact on the participants.

I so love the place...I make it my goal to go there to walk the lost dog....and to get exercise...or to ward off stress or to circulate my blood.

It is my hope that where the pavillion is, the mayor would model it after what Wicker Park has done.

It's so serene..it has people from all walks of life...occupying and utilizing it....

It would be a success if the folks in the Park Dept. looked at Wicker Park's model and utilize the pavillion in the same manner.

Lining up the bands...just look at the guys that posted on that forum...they need the exposure...and gosh, I never had so much fun in my life since I attended the concert last time.

Hammond needs this....do look into it. Sure, gangbangers, everyone is afraid of ...but put security in there...I saw security at Wicker Park. But saw no one but ordinary folks that felt secure because there are people all over the place that gang-bangers wouldn't even think of going there.

Actually, with the sooo many people I saw at Wicker Park, I don't think a gang-banger could go unnoticed. They don't hang out at those parks where exercise, walking, strolling, riding bikes, mostly mid- to elderly people are present, with the younger crowd on bikes...maybe this is our little haven and they know they would be visible and would be signaled out by so many people...I don't even think security would be needed.

I confess I did not see a security truck/car...I'm assuming because it isn't there, doesn't mean it isn't there just because I didn't see it. I don't know...

Too many eyewitnesses, plus, it is run very well. Every aspect of the park makes you feel secure and serene, if you miss the "good ole'days". That's where I hang out now...I love Wicker Park!

Great thing is...you can bring your own booze...and if you aren't an alcholic and want to drive drunk...you're out of luck.

My hope is for Mayor McDermott to have the parks dept. look and obseve how many people utilize this place and WHY? I hope he sets the same goals they have...they don't cater to Hispanics, African Americans or whites. They allow bands to immitade songs or acts that are only memories...and they rejuvenate us.

c'mon mayor...something else but just a festival and free admission to get this Park Dept. to attract people to that area.

Hire Bozo's traveling truck (their business just went under, but I'm sure the mobile part hasn't), or offer food establishments to rotate on a monthly basis to show what local businesses have to offer for attendees.

Citizens of Hammond need this. A band would attract...and you can figure out how to make money without charging if Wicker Park doesn't charge. Send the troops out.

Give FreeTime a real reason to bitch! Anything good comes from a bitchin' and a lecturing from her...she likes the stale and no new shitz put on her.....gives her more aggravation as to "how can they...where did the money come from?"

All behind the computer...not making herself checking it out twice. Give her something new to bitch about when you do something positive. GO Boy!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Borrowing the "pavillion" topic   Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty9/21/2010, 3:56 pm

Hey, that park south of city hall...put a band there once a week or tear it down. Don't ever see anyone utilizing it. Offer free outdoor showers for the bums so people can enjoy the real fountain downtown.

Everytime I pass it I never see anyone there. Except someone homeless sitting on a bench. Make use out of the place...do something with it...offer free concerts, but charge at that place...cuz you know you're gonna end up with the undesirables....and that is in a way, a good thing.

One-stop shop for the cops! It'll pay for itself. LOL

Think of the money the city would save and could save our cops from losing their jobs. Hell, put the fire engines around it and have them wash them off.....

I can think of some real dooooozies....Meanwhile, my list for drug idiots is growing. Hope the chief has time to look at it when I hit my goal of "x" amount of cell numbers and who to ask for....
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Borrowing the "pavillion" topic   Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty9/22/2010, 2:55 pm

Where is the "good part" of Merrillville?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Borrowing the "pavillion" topic   Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty9/22/2010, 3:54 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
Where is the "good part" of Merrillville?

WAAAAAY south of Route 30.

Didn't see her home yet, but she is an advocate that is on 24 hour duty for foster children.

She won't live anywhere you know where....chicken shacks. Might not even be Merriville for all I know...could be right outside the boundary.

She wouldn't live near a crime area, that's for sure.

Let's put it this way: She sure as hell wouldn't live in Hammond, even South Hammond or Munster...so you know it's in the Boonies.

She'll spend nights here - but not alone.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Borrowing the "pavillion" topic   Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty9/22/2010, 4:00 pm

Oh, gee, a woman from the guarded-gate community, Lake of the Four Seasons has just been reportedly shot in the head last night at 11:00 p.m. by NWI.

Investigators don't know if it was from a hunter or a real intentional act of someone.

Turkey season isn't for awhile, deer hunting isn't open...what's it take for a brain to figure out it isn't hunting season.

And to make my point, shitz happens ANYWHERE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Borrowing the "pavillion" topic   Borrowing the "pavillion" topic Empty

Back to top Go down

Borrowing the "pavillion" topic
Page 1 of 1