Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KarenT

PostSubject: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/7/2010, 10:17 am

Letter in the Times: Now that BP CEO Tony Hayward has destroyed the precious ecosystem in the Gulf of Mexico, put many animals and fish on the endangered species list and ruined thousands of people's lives by taking away the costal fishing opportunities, he has now wreaked havoc on my way of living.

I don't even live by the Gulf, but Hayward's ignorant means of producing oil, and lack of cleaning it up, has left me and my family to live without the dividends.

The Amoco/BP stocks were given to me by my grandfather, for his numerous years of service to Whiting Refinery. They were used to be as a supplemental income for my family.

Hayward decided to not distribute the little money I receive quarterly. I live and depend on that money! It helps pay monthly bills, property taxes, house insurance, car insurance and my college education. My current job, as a teacher, does not pay enough to qualify me to be a middle class citizen!

Now I will lose everything. Because of Hayward's lack of judgment, he will now cause me to lose the only house I ever knew.

I hope he can get his life back, because I surely want mine back!

Does anyone else think she should have planned better? Dividends are not guaranteed - they should not be used for necessities.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/7/2010, 11:06 am

KarenT wrote:

Does anyone else think she should have planned better? Dividends are not guaranteed - they should not be used for necessities.
Yep,and I thought the exact same thing when I read it this morning. It reminds me of people who ended up upside down on real estate investments,thinking they would go up forever.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/7/2010, 11:40 am

Using dividends as income does seem a bit shortsighted. I would think the market is far too volatile to guarantee that. I'm more worried about the refinery workers whose stocks were part of their pension. I've had family at that plant for over 50 years...
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/7/2010, 1:36 pm

I would be checking into diversifying if at all possible. Advisors have told me not to hold too much of one stock.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/8/2010, 11:29 am

I feel sorry for these people, dividends or not:

GRAND ISLE, La. --
Hundreds of fishermen from Lake Charles to Moss Point, Miss., were supposed to get checks from BP on Wednesday but didn't.

Wednesday night, their lawyer wanted answers.

Jeffrey Briet represents more than 500 fishermen, and he said the payment system he set up with BP required his clients to be paid every 30 days. Now that process has suddenly changed without warning, Briet said.

More Oil Spill News:
I-Team: Oil Cleanup Crews Rest More Than Work
Appeals Court To Hear Drilling Moratorium Case
"Not only did they spring it on us that the process has changed, but the people I've been dealing with for six weeks who've done a good job said, 'We don't know what the process is going to be. We're not authorized to talk to you about it. Someone from BP will contact you,'" he said.

But Briet said he hasn't heard from BP or its lawyers. He said the claims people have been given so much conflicting information about the process that they can't provide answers.

"They couldn't tell me," he said. "And I said, 'I've got 500 people I'm meeting on Saturday. They want to know what the process is.'"

It's not the first time BP has given conflicting information.

On June 11, BP's security contractors tried to keep WDSU from speaking to cleanup workers despite the fact that BP released a statement two days earlier saying the workers could speak to the media.

On May 14, St. Bernard Parish fishermen were upset with low pay and out-of-towners taking their work.

Briet said he's meeting with some fishermen from Moss Point Thursday morning and more on Saturday in Jennings. He said BP hasn't given him any indication when the payments will resume.y for these people:

http://www.wdsu.com/news/24178322/detail.html

It won't end there...count in the East Coast. As far as dividends, investments, etc. my parents lost 10 grand under Bush.

My sis-in-law's mom who passed away told me she lost a "lot" of investment money prior to Obama. She still managed to give 4 grand kids 10,000. Each parent (4) 100,000 and proceeds from the real estate, etc. She was a mortgage court reporter, so she knew her shitz. Still, she told me she lost money - big money in certain divident investments before Obama even took over. It was under Bush.

It's all a game. Just read up on the 425 plus comments in this story above. Something really fishy about BP...what happened to the 20 billion Obama demanded, and now BP left these people hanging...oh, forgot, he's busy campaigning.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/8/2010, 11:38 am

You're mixing apples and oranges. The Times writer was griping about not getting dividends from stock her grandpa bought. The fishermen are talking about the money BP promised to help make up for the loss of their livelihood. The rest was about the stock market tanking early in Bush's presidency. My dad didn't have stocks, but the interest rate took a dive and hurt his income.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/8/2010, 4:22 pm

KarenT wrote:
You're mixing apples and oranges. The Times writer was griping about not getting dividends from stock her grandpa bought. The fishermen are talking about the money BP promised to help make up for the loss of their livelihood. The rest was about the stock market tanking early in Bush's presidency. My dad didn't have stocks, but the interest rate took a dive and hurt his income.

OH! Sorry....you're right!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/8/2010, 4:41 pm

My dad didn't have stocks, but the interest rate took a dive and hurt his income.

That's what happened to my parents. They lost 10 grand after Bush took office.

I honestly don't know their personal business, but I recall my mom "bitchin'"
about that DAMN BUSH! And loosing ten grand...I guess it was interest.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   7/8/2010, 9:01 pm

Interest my dad had planned to help pay bills. Instead, he had to dip into his principle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher   

Back to top Go down

Glad She's Not My Kid's Teacher
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: