Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty
PostSubject: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty6/15/2010, 8:56 am

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/2391870,obama-gulf-coast-oil-spill-061410.article

(Copyrighted, just giving you the Headline and a few paragraphs....)

Obama promises 'return to normal' along oil-damaged Gulf Coast

June 14, 2010

THEODORE, Ala. -- In a newly optimistic tone, President Barack Obama promised Monday that "things are going to return to normal" along the stricken Gulf Coast and the region's fouled waters will be in better shape than before the catastrophic BP oil spill.

He declared Gulf seafood safe to eat and said his administration was redoubling inspections and monitoring to make sure it stays that way. And his White House said Monday it had wrested apparent agreement from BP PLC to set up an independent, multibillion-dollar compensation fund for people and businesses suffering from the spill's effects.

I love what a few posters wrote; my favorites:

The views expressed in these blog posts are those of the author and not of the Chicago Sun-Times.

From my friend Paul:

chicago paul wrote:

It was my oversight to not mention how ridiculous it was for him to make a blanket statement that Gulf seafood was safe to eat, even though I know he was making a desperate attempt at preventing additional damage to that industry. My cousin owns a company in New Orleans that has a process of cleaning shellfish before they go to market because of the environmental problems that existed prior to this disaster. I imagine that his business is booming now."

Tuna now will come packed in TWO types of oil.

10W30 and 5W40.

chicago paul wrote:

From ABC news:
Gov. Bobby Jindal Orders National Guard to Build Barrier Wall Off Louisiana Shore
Louisiana Gov. Takes Matters Into Own Hands, But Will BP Foot the Bill?

Eight weeks into the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of the Mexico, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has told the National Guard that there's no time left to wait for BP, so they're taking matters into their own hands.
Before his speech, the president takes another look at the oil-tainted region.

In Fort Jackson, La., Jindal has ordered the Guard to start building barrier walls right in the middle of the ocean. The barriers, built nine miles off shore, are intended to keep the oil from reaching the coast by filling the gaps between barrier islands.

Today, huge Blackhawk and Chinook helicopters lined up in the air, dropping sandbags one by one into the sea.

"They are lifting up about 7,000 pounds of sandbags," said 1st Lt. James Tyson Gabler. "

Don't wait for the federal government to take action!!!

6/15/2010 8:17 AM CDT on suntimes.com

chicago paul wrote:

It was my oversight to not mention how ridiculous it was for him to make a blanket statement that Gulf seafood was safe to eat, even though I know he was making a desperate attempt at preventing additional damage to that industry. My cousin owns a company in New Orleans that has a process of cleaning shellfish before they go to market because of the environmental problems that existed prior to this disaster. I imagine that his business is booming now."

Tuna now will come packed in TWO types of oil.

10W30 and 5W40.

mrken wrote:
ankh

We are in total agreement. I read the Terry Savage article and made some comments that expressed basically the same ideas. Sure we are traditionally and currently dependent on oil as our primary energy source in this country, that is a given, however what she did not emphasize in that article is that we need to take advantage of this horrible negative incident to focus US efforts on alternative energy resource research and development to reduce our dependency on oil and foreign (that includes BP) oil providers.

It was my oversight to not mention how ridiculous it was for him to make a blanket statement that Gulf seafood was safe to eat, even though I know he was making a desperate attempt at preventing additional damage to that industry. My cousin owns a company in New Orleans that has a process of cleaning shellfish before they go to market because of the environmental problems that existed prior to this disaster. I imagine that his business is booming now.

If there is any way to turn a negative into a positive the time is right to begin focusing on research and development, along with job creation in those areas, for alternate clean energy sources to replace our dependency on oil products and foreign influences on our daily life.
6/15/2010 8:03 AM CDT on suntimes.com
Report Abuse

chicago paul wrote:
Obama's slow response initially will guarantee that "return to normal" will not happen until long after the 2012 election.

6/15/2010 7:36 AM CDT on suntimes.com
Report Abuse
wizards23 wrote:
Whoa!
Ah, Mercy, Mery, Mercy Me
Things at what they use to be
Oil wasted upon our open seas
Fish full of mercury

-Marvin Gaye

6/15/2010 6:29 AM CDT on suntimes.com
Report Abuse
kdizzll wrote:

The lose of aquatic life is bad enough, but what about the effect hydrogen sulfide will have on humans.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYhugmaAL3A
6/15/2010 5:35 AM CDT on suntimes.com
Report Abuse

ME: IT WILL TAKE DECADES FOR THE ECO SYSTEM TO RETURN TO NORMAL.

What college did POTUS go to? HARD-KNOCK'S COMMON SENSE LAW SCHOOL?

Boy, he lacks that.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty6/15/2010, 1:00 pm

Yeah, well the actual quote was:

Quote :
"In the end, I'm confident we will be able to leave the Gulf Coast better than it was before," he said after touring a U.S. Coast Guard staging facility in Theodore, Alabama.

We won't know exactly what Obama meant until we hear his plans for the Gulf. There's a good chance that he will begin to lay out those plans tonight in his speech from the Oval Office.

A few nights ago, on Anderson Cooper's show, historian Douglas Brinkley may have leaked some of the details on what the Obama Administration is planning....

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANscriptS/1006/09/acd.01.html

Quote :

BRINKLEY: Well, now the Mississippi River has to be redirected. It's going to have to be flooded and sediment pumped into these marshlands to save it. I think the Obama administration...

(CROSSTALK)

COOPER: So, no, wait. No, wait. Doug, is this just a hope on your part?

BRINKLEY: No.

COOPER: Or -- I mean, I know you have been talking to sources. Do you believe this is actually going to happen?

BRINKLEY: Yes. Yes.

And it's one of the reasons why the president is not talking to Tony Hayward. And they are going to come out with a large Gulf recovery act, because the oil and gas industry has been dredging. We have disappearing barrier islands. For 40 years down there, it's abused the wetlands.

This is a turning point. There is an appetite on Capitol Hill for Gulf recovery act. The Mississippi River is going to have to be redirected into the marshlands. And BP and Transocean and other, you know, operations, Cameron, other companies are going to have to pay up to $10 billion and $15 billion for breaking national acts.

(CROSSTALK)

BRINKLEY: In addition, for offshore drilling in the Gulf, Anderson, there will be a conservation excise tax that, yes, there will be offshore drilling, but Louisianians will start getting some of the revenue to stay in state.

CARVILLE: If -- if the president does that, I will be the biggest supporter in the world. He will be beloved in Louisiana.

If he -- if he has a restoration act and the kind of things that Doug Brinkley is talking about, who Doug, by the way, lived here. His wife is from here. He knows exactly what he is talking about. If there is that kind of action from the White House and this president, he will go down, in my opinion, as one of the great presidents in history.

And I have not hesitated to criticize him. But if that kind of action is -- that -- that kind of thing starts to happen, that's going to be a very encouraging sign for South Louisiana, and for the country, too.

COOPER: Doug, I mean, what percent -- I mean, you -- you -- you're saying this based on people you have talked to?

BRINKLEY: Yes.

And what is -- one of the reasons there's a frustration, because of the legalities of calling Tony Hayward and all, the -- the Obama administration has heard what's happening loud and clear. And you are going to have the full power of the administration going on the culpable parties.

All of these little articles start building up, the -- the one we talked about on the AP with the phony report about a -- they had their wildlife expert in 2009 for BP had actually died in 2005. Or, you know, it's just crazy stuff. It's all -- Markey and others are accumulating it.

Congress is going to go after BP, and they have now broken, as I said, National Resource Damage Act, Oil Spill Response Act. And in order to save the wetlands, which BP is responsible to, it's going to be -- the Army Corps of Engineers has directed -- if you fly over, it's like a bird's foot. There are three channels.

We're now going to have to redirect Mississippi River sediment and flood the marshlands to try to save them. That will occur after this -- the well gets capped, the relief wells are built. But, in the next year or two, this will be, for President Obama administration, I think something a Tennessee Valley Authority or a Saint Lawrence Seaway under Dwight Eisenhower, a major public works act, with BP...

It will be really interesting to see what the President has to say tonight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100615/cm_huffpost/612141;_ylt=AkbdVmbldfUPpkvRB79.xNus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFlMHU0N3FuBHBvcwMyMTkEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9vcGluaW9uBHNsawNvYmFtYXByaW1ldGk-

Quote :

According to the senior administration official, Obama will make the following points:

1. He will address steps the administration's made and its ongoing commitment to "reorganization at the Department of Interior," specifically the Minerals Management Services, which was chiefly responsible for overseeing offshore drilling (and which, by most sober-minded accounts, failed in that mission). Along these lines, Obama will stress, according to the official, that the "mission of the Oil Commission [set up to suggest post-disaster reforms] is to ensure a regulatory structure for safe energy exploration."

2. The president will also "discuss our containment strategy for capturing as much of or all the oil leaking in the Gulf."

3. Obama will also address, "The BP claims process and what we're doing to make it fast, efficient and transparent and to ensure its independence from BP." The official could not comment on how specific Obama will get about Congressional efforts to lift the liability cap for BP and other companies. Nor was there talk about whether the President would give a detailed explanation of the escrow account that his administration supports for helping victims of the spill. The President is meeting with BP executives on Wednesday, at which point more details on such an account will likely emerge.

4. Obama will detail "the beginning of a process to restore the Gulf to a place better than it was before the Deepwater Horizon exploded," the official said.

5. Finally, he will "talk about what we must do to decrease our dependence on oil and other fossil fuels."

The speech is at 7 PM Central Time, 8 PM Eastern. Watch it!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty6/16/2010, 7:47 am

Plug the damn leak, this POTUS is so full of worrying about his cap and trade, future drilling, everything but showing leadership in dealing with this leak.

Fix the leak, then focus on the ridiculous things shown below.

I'm seriously concerned about how inexperienced the POTUS is, even when the Dutch offered to come in, he refused their help.

Obviously, BP being Obama's biggest donor is the main factor behind the delay in fixing this leak. Obama's rage is just a photo-op.

Dealing and leading is not his specialty. Picking up a oil puff doesn't bid well for being "so concerned, that he will fix this problem immediately!"

Nope, all he knows is campaigning....his only experience is stating, "PRESENT" in the IL Senate. His biggest experience is raising money, and having parties.

I'm sick of his not leading and plugging the well up. With all the manpower, technology, scientists, they can't come up with an EMERGENCY well(s) THIS MONTH? B.S.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/16/fact-check-obama-inflates-hopes-spill-recovery/ FACT CHECK: Obama Inflates Hopes in Spill Recovery
Published June 16, 2010
| Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- In assuring Americans on Tuesday that BP won't control the compensation fund for Gulf oil spill recovery, President Barack Obama failed to mention that the government won't control it, either.

That means it's anyone's guess whether the government can, in fact, make BP pay all costs related to the spill.

Obama aimed high in his prime-time Oval Office address -- perhaps higher than the facts support and history teaches -- as he vowed to restore livelihoods and nature from the still-unfolding calamity in the Gulf of Mexico.

A look at some of his statements and how they compare with those facts:

OBAMA: "We will make BP pay for the damage their company has caused and we will do whatever's necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy. ... Tomorrow, I will meet with the chairman of BP and inform him that he is to set aside whatever resources are required to compensate the workers and business owners who have been harmed as a result of his company's recklessness. And this fund will not be controlled by BP. In order to ensure that all legitimate cs that caused the original well to blow out. It potentially could create a worse spill if engineers were to accidentally damage the existing well or tear a hole in the undersea oil reservoir.

------

OBAMA: "From the very beginning of this crisis, the federal government has been in charge of the largest environmental cleanup effort in our nation's history."

THE FACTS: Early on, the government established a command center and put Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen in charge of coordinating the overall spill response. But officials also repeatedly have emphasized that BP was "responsible" and they have relied heavily on BP in making decisions from hiring cleanup workers to what oil dispersing chemicals to use. Local officials in the Gulf region have complained that often they don't know who's in charge -- the government or BP.

------

OBAMA: "We have approved the construction of new barrier islands in Louisiana to try and stop the oil before it reaches the shore."

THE FACTS: Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and local officials pleaded for weeks with the Army Corps of Engineers and the spill response command for permission to build about 40 miles of sand berms along the barrier islands.

State officials applied for an emergency permit to build the berms May 11, but as days went by Jindal became increasingly angry at federal inaction. The White House finally agreed to a portion of the berm plan on June 2. BP then agreed to pay for the project.

The corps was worried that in some cases such a move would alter tides and drive oil into new areas and produce more harm than good.

------

OBAMA: "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs, but for the sake of their safety and for the sake of the entire region, we need to know the facts before we allow deepwater drilling to continue."

THE FACTS: Obama issued a six-month moratorium on new permits for deepwater drilling but production continues from existing deepwater wells.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty6/16/2010, 8:40 am

UrRight wrote:
Plug the damn leak, this POTUS is so full of worrying about his cap and trade, future drilling, everything but showing leadership in dealing with this leak.
Fix the leak, then focus on the ridiculous things shown below.
I'm seriously concerned about how inexperienced the POTUS is, even when the Dutch offered to come in, he refused their help.
I believe the Dutch help was refused because BP had been misleading the government and had been minimizing the severity of the spill since Day 1.

Quote :
Obviously, BP being Obama's biggest donor is the main factor behind the delay in fixing this leak. Obama's rage is just a photo-op.
BP donates to both parties. Obama got more of their money since he was favored to win.

I'm sick of his not leading and plugging the well up. With all the manpower, technology, scientists, they can't come up with an EMERGENCY well(s) THIS MONTH? B.S.
Drilling a mile under water takes time.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty6/16/2010, 11:16 am

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sweet/2397854,CST-NWS-sweet16.article

Lyn Sweet defined his speech last night into two parts:

Obama talked a lot about what he wanted to do in the future -- he created a national commission to "understand the causes of this disaster" at a time when people affected probably just want to know how to get some upfront cash.

There were two audiences for Obama's speech Tuesday night: those who were directly impacted and want to know where to go to get their claims settled and their water cleaned up, and the rest of us who have the luxury of getting a lecture from Obama on weaning ourselves from oil.

I can't think of another time I have seen Obama deliver a speech from behind a desk, and he looked awkward and robotic -- but seriously, who cares about the optics in the midst of this catastrophe. Obama said the right things for the situation -- but deeds and accomplishments matter, not words. For starters, the underwater gusher is either contained or it is not. And right now it is not.

Myself, after reading the readers' comments, some said this was a problem throughout the last six administrations. Some said the inspector who checked the rig on April 1st was only in training for four months.

Well, after the speech last night, all I have to agree with Lynn Sweet's Headline:

With oil still gushing, Obama has to deliver
Until spill is stopped, administration will be on defensive
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty6/16/2010, 3:05 pm

Obama: BP agrees to $20B fund; chairman apologizes
Quote :
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama and BP reached agreement Wednesday on a $20 billion fund to compensate victims of the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and the giant British company's chairman apologized to America for the worst spill in U.S. history.

BP is suspending its dividends to shareholders to help pay for the costs, said chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg.
>snip<
"The people of the Gulf have my commitment that BP will meet its obligations to them," Obama said. "This $20 billion amount will provide substantial assurance that the claims people and businesses have will be honored."

He emphasized that the $20 billion was "not a cap" and that BP would pay more if necessary.

Watch for the wingnuts to dig up some 90 yr old woman who won't get a dividend and accuse Obama of robbing Grannie to pay for the leak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!   Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise! Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Empty, Incompetent, Unrealistic Obama Promise!
Page 1 of 1