Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/12/2010, 4:42 pm

I've got a feeling that the idea of expanding offshore oil drilling dies a bit more each day...

This is the first reputable poll that I've seen that addresses this specific issue, and the only thing that surprises me about it is that an even higher percentage of folks don't yet see the expansion of offshore drilling as "too costly and too risky." But its clear that the "tide is turning." I think once people realize that the amount of extra oil out there really doesn't amount to much anyway, they will completely abandon the idea of expanding oil exploration off our coasts.

Even assuming the best possible outcome in the Gulf, it's clear at this point that the risks involved in expanding offshore drilling far outweigh any "benefits."
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/12/2010, 7:17 pm

Scorpion wrote:
. . . the amount of extra oil out there really doesn't amount to much anyway . . .

That's a key point that definitely need to be repeated. We're not talking freedom from Mideast oil like Palin/McCain loved to tell us; we're talking too little, too deep, too dangerous, and too expensive to extract to be economically viable. Diminishing returns... the lowest hanging fruit has been gone for decades and the oil companies know this, which is why they've spent far more time and money working on existing wells than drilling new ones; better return on investment.

This kind of divorce from reality was why I couldn't vote for McCain and his looney creationist sidekick, who harped on it endlessly through the campaign despite the fact that every energy agency contradicted their claims of energy independence. And of course that discussion *never* included anything on the environmental repercussions of such a policy.

They're hosed; their talking point's a wash. The American people and their local industries will be recovering from this for years in such a way that Republicans won't be able to dismiss concerns as environmental hysteria via some talking points on Fox News.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/13/2010, 4:36 pm

Is there any way to trap the oil in the water and save it (the oil)?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/13/2010, 6:19 pm

KarenT wrote:

Yeah, well that's what the "containment dome" that they tried last week was supposed to do, but it didn't work because methane gas crystals formed inside the chamber and clogged it up, so BP had to abort.

Now they are talking about about a smaller dome called a "top hat" which they hope will work in a similar manner. Today they announced that they are going to try to connect a small "tube" to the leak, and use that to siphon the oil... I guess we;ll see what happens.

Here is the latest...

BP's next try to stem oil gusher: Smaller tube

Quote :
BP officials said Thursday they would thread a small tube into a jagged pipe on the seafloor to suck oil to the surface before it can spew into the Gulf and add to a disaster apparently set in motion by a long list of equipment failures.

Engineers will have to make sure the 6-inch-wide tube is inserted deep enough into the 21-inch-wide pipe so gas and seawater don't mix, which can form crystals that could clog the tube. They'll also have to thread the tube into the pipe without hitting debris around the riser.
The smaller tube will be surrounded by a stopper to keep oil from leaking into the sea. The tube will then siphon the crude to a tanker at the surface.

Company spokesman Bill Salvin said engineers hope to start moving the tube into place Thursday night. Another option is a small containment box called a "top hat," which is already on the seafloor and also would siphon oil to a tanker on the surface.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/13/2010, 6:49 pm

One question: Why have I not heard of any oil spills in the war(s) in countries that supply our nation?
Do they know something we don't know? I mean, didn't everyone say, "Bush wanted this war over oil"? Or am I just assuming?
I guess my real question is, if we buy oil from the middle east, why have they not experienced this type of episode, and if so, did I miss out on the news?

Ya know, the Arabs, Iranians, etc. Have they had oil spills? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/13/2010, 9:03 pm

They control their own media, so if they did have a spill, no one would be told. I don't believe they drill in the ocean - aren't most of their drills on land?
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/13/2010, 10:29 pm

Yeah, I believe that's the difference. Not much offshore drilling over there.

This was also a different type of well, far deeper than the norm. The Middle East hasn't yet exhausted their supply rendering such exploratory drilling expensive and therefore unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/14/2010, 9:15 am

Scorpion wrote:
I've got a feeling that the idea of expanding offshore oil drilling dies a bit more each day...
You would think so but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case yet.
Poll: Oil spill doesn’t taint Obama or offshore drilling
Quote :
The Gulf of Mexico oil spill hasn’t stained President Barack Obama or dimmed the public’s desire for offshore energy drilling, according to a new Associated Press-GfK Poll.
The telephone poll of 1,002 adults for the latest survey was conducted May 7-11 for The Associated Press by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.3 percentage points.
Quote :
The poll also found that the public still supports the idea of drilling offshore for oil and gas. By 50 percent to 38 percent, more people favor increased coastal drilling for oil and gas than oppose it.
While Republicans favor it by a 3-to-1 margin, Democrats lean toward opposing it, 52 percent to 36 percent. Independents are about evenly split. Groups that give drilling the strongest support include men, middle-aged and older people, whites and residents of rural and suburban areas.
In other words....teabaggers are still the biggest supporters Rolling Eyes This should be a terrific wedge issue for the fall.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/14/2010, 3:06 pm

Just wanted to post this video of the oil gushing into the Gulf.... for those who haven't seen it yet.

Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/14/2010, 5:15 pm

So, you answered my question. If everyone still wants off-shore drilling, why are we not just doing the drilling ON-SHORE...in Alaska, for instance, where Sarah Palin is "Drill, baby, drill". Can it be done on the land instead of off shore?
She claimed there was enough oil in Alaska to supercede any drilling anywhere else, umless I mis-heard, or mis-interpreted that. If that is the case, why not set up the drilling on Alaska's land, not off-shore? I'm not sure I'm asking the proper questions, but is there such a thing as "drilling on the land" as opposed to "off-shore"?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/14/2010, 5:23 pm

KarenT wrote:

I didn't really fully understand how it worked until they showed it on the news one morning this week.
You know those plastic 5 gallon containers we buy at the dollar store, Karen for $4-5 bucks? They filled it up with a little water and lots of oil. Then they demonstrated the whole time, taking two stockings full of hair, and showed the hole time how it absorbed the oil, and what little water it left behind. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not witnessed it on the news. Two nylong stockings of hair, how it skimmed the oil and left the very little bit of clean water behind. (If I remember right, there was just a little bit of clear water left behind). So it works! But think of the tons of nylons they need and the bunches of hair.
The hair absorbed the oil quite efficiently. I would never have believed how it could do such a thing, unless they had shown it on tv. But, it completely removed all the oil from the plastic tote.
It does make you wonder how many thousands of miles of nylons full of hair they need. And, how long this will go on. It's so sad.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/14/2010, 7:12 pm

UrRight wrote:
So, you answered my question. If everyone still wants off-shore drilling, why are we not just doing the drilling ON-SHORE...in Alaska, for instance, where Sarah Palin is "Drill, baby, drill". Can it be done on the land instead of off shore?
She claimed there was enough oil in Alaska to supercede any drilling anywhere else, umless I mis-heard, or mis-interpreted that. If that is the case, why not set up the drilling on Alaska's land, not off-shore? I'm not sure I'm asking the proper questions, but is there such a thing as "drilling on the land" as opposed to "off-shore"?

Sarah Palin is an idiot and no matter how much you drill in Alaska,we would still need to import 2/3 of our oil.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/14/2010, 9:53 pm

UrRight wrote:

No, we have to go where the oil is at. If the oil is located off shore, that's where you have to drill. Drilling down on land, and then horizontally for miles out into the ocean would simply not be possible.

UrRight wrote:
She claimed there was enough oil in Alaska to supercede any drilling anywhere else, umless I mis-heard, or mis-interpreted that.

If she did, she's an idiot. Every actual energy analyst knows there's not enough there, or at least that we cannot extract it fast enough to meet demand now, let alone for a growth.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/19/2010, 11:32 pm

Here's the latest video, in case you haven't seen it yet. This is after the insertion of "the tube." To see a close up view of what the the leak looks like now, go to the 2:30 mark or so, and watch from that point....

Man, we are so screwed... How much longer is this going to continue? One thing is certain, BP clearly doesn't know what the hell they are doing, and at this point, there is no question that they are lying to us to us about the size of the leak.

This is an unmitigated frickin' disaster.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kevin-grandia/breaking-new-underwater-f_b_580489.html
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/20/2010, 9:06 am

Yeah, they're clueless. Nothing has been attempted at such depths... they're making it up as they go, hoping it works. And they've been lying to the public from the start. Their estimates have been repeatedly wrong, and now we're seeing actions like this:

Quote :
Heavy Sludge Oozes into Marshes of Louisiana

(CBS/AP) It may be the most disturbing site yet: the first heavy sludge now oozing into the marshes of Louisiana as the slick continues to grow in size out in the gulf.

CBS News correspondent Kelly Cobiella reports it's an ominous sight. The oil is thick and black and stretches about a quarter mile down a beach. It goes beyond the booms into the sensitive marsh lands which are home to migratory birds.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal flew over it Tuesday.

"This wasn't just sheen, we were seeing heavy oil out there," Jindal said. "This wasn't just tar balls. It shows you how quick the oil showed up."

When CBS News tried to reach the beach, covered in oil, a boat of BP contractors with two Coast Guard officers on board told us to turn around under threat of arrest. Coast Guard officials said they are looking into the incident.

There's just never any good news.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/20/2010, 12:10 pm

Duplicate post "flood control".

Last edited by UrRight on 5/20/2010, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/20/2010, 12:11 pm

I don't recall exactly where I read or saw it, but they said to expect oil prices to go to $5.00 a gallon this summer.

Then, the other day I read or saw that gas prices will be going down.

This country is nuts..... which is it?

Then you hear reports that employment is up (beginning of the week), today, it's down.

One in ten houses are in foreclosure because people will not or can't pay for a home that is worth more than the payments.

Getting kind of drpressed watching the news, reading the news.

I can't believe Obama has a state dinner for the Mexican guy....saying AZ is "misdirected". I don't believe he is in touch with the America we know.

Think of all the disasters we've experienced since Katrina, since 9/11, and the attempted bombings, and he doesn't see that we need to curtail the immigration process right now? The war alone sent us in to a punge. Then we leave open our borders to those that want to transfer drugs and guns. Why can't we call a temporary halt on future visas and future citizenship, until we take care of our own country?

Increase crime is the reason AZ is doing this...and I don't blame them. I bet if you raided E.C. today, they would find a bundle of people that are illegals. I am not prejudiced, but AZ is simply reinforcing a Federal law...while the POTUS is entertaining a guy in charge of Mexico, denouncing our Federal laws?

Treatment of his people? Why then, doesn't he treat his own people right, if they feel the need to escape their homeland?

Everyone wants to be in America, but the system is flawed.

I wish they would round up all the illegals and dump them in D.C. and then tell Obama to entertain them. They cost our economy not just jobs, money, etc. They are mostly criminals crossing the border with intentions of drug delivering and weapon delivering. This costs our police, our public aid, our courts, etc. Our jails are already full.

Looking back at all the disasters occuring in other countries, and we helped them...not one came forward to help us out when we need it. Or am I wrong?

Why aren't other countries helping us with this oil spill? We're there for them..and still sending money over to them.

As for as regulation - yes, it was reported that BP knew long ago they had problems, but didn't do anything about it...but they reaped in the profits. Eleven people died for their greed.

I boycott BP.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/20/2010, 1:22 pm

UrRight wrote:
I don't recall exactly where I read or saw it, but they said to expect oil prices to go to $5.00 a gallon this summer.

Then, the other day I read or saw that gas prices will be going down.

This country is nuts..... which is it?

It's always hard to gauge. Oil prices are going up because supply is dwindling but our economy finally tanked enough to bring prices down. So if the economy stays shitty, decreasing demand, I'd expect it to only go up a little. But if our economy recovers and people start moving around a bit more, they'll go up a lot.

UrRight wrote:
Then you hear reports that employment is up (beginning of the week), today, it's down.

One in ten houses are in foreclosure because people will not or can't pay for a home that is worth more than the payments.

Getting kind of drpressed watching the news, reading the news.

I can't believe Obama has a state dinner for the Mexican guy....saying AZ is "misdirected". I don't believe he is in touch with the America we know.

He's more in touch than McCain, our only realistic alternative during the election. Seriously... Obama's a politician, not a messiah. Hell, McCain said in an interview recently he wanted to give businesses that knowingly hire illegals to keep wages low a pass...

UrRight wrote:
Think of all the disasters we've experienced since Katrina, since 9/11, and the attempted bombings, and he doesn't see that we need to curtail the immigration process right now?

Rightfully so.

UrRight wrote:
The war alone sent us in to a punge. Then we leave open our borders to those that want to transfer drugs and guns. Why can't we call a temporary halt on future visas and future citizenship, until we take care of our own country?

Because doing so would ruin our growth based economy.

UrRight wrote:
Increase crime is the reason AZ is doing this...

I think Artie busted that argument weeks ago. Has the crime rate gone up? And if so, specifically because of illegals? Our DOJ actually keeps track of this stuff; it should be pretty easy to verify.

UrRight wrote:
...and I don't blame them. I bet if you raided E.C. today, they would find a bundle of people that are illegals. I am not prejudiced, but AZ is simply reinforcing a Federal law...while the POTUS is entertaining a guy in charge of Mexico, denouncing our Federal laws?

What?

UrRight wrote:
Treatment of his people? Why then, doesn't he treat his own people right, if they feel the need to escape their homeland?

Because there is on incentive to do so. It's been quite a while since I looked up the numbers, but if I remember correctly, somewhere along the lines of 11 billion dollars is sent back to their economy from illegals; that's second only to their oil exports. Why ruin such a line of income that has zero cost?

I really don't think this is that difficult. They'll keep coming so long as we employ them; stop businesses from doing so and the lack of demand will decrease supply.

UrRight wrote:
Everyone wants to be in America, but the system is flawed.

Which sadly explains how f**ked up the rest of the world is.

UrRight wrote:
I wish they would round up all the illegals and dump them in D.C. and then tell Obama to entertain them. They cost our economy not just jobs, money, etc. They are mostly criminals crossing the border with intentions of drug delivering and weapon delivering.

Actually, they're mostly just people looking for work. And many of them are brought in directly by the businesses they're working for.

UrRight wrote:
costs our police, our public aid, our courts, etc. Our jails are already full.

'Cause rounding them up and transporting them won't cost a dime. And they're only full as a result of our failed drug war...

UrRight wrote:
Looking back at all the disasters occuring in other countries, and we helped them...not one came forward to help us out when we need it. Or am I wrong?

You're wrong.

UrRight wrote:
Why aren't other countries helping us with this oil spill? We're there for them..and still sending money over to them.

Should they be? Should countries be in the habit of bailing out corporate disasters? Should BP get a bailout or a bill for the cleanup?

UrRight wrote:
As for as regulation - yes, it was reported that BP knew long ago they had problems, but didn't do anything about it...but they reaped in the profits. Eleven people died for their greed.

I boycott BP.

You boycott the rest of such corporate malfeasance then, too, right?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/20/2010, 3:36 pm

Heretic wrote:

UrRight wrote:
Increase crime is the reason AZ is doing this...

I think Artie busted that argument weeks ago. Has the crime rate gone up? And if so, specifically because of illegals? Our DOJ actually keeps track of this stuff; it should be pretty easy to verify.
Quote :
I did. I don't have the link that I used,but here's another story from April 2010 ,one of many, that proves her argument is baseless.....
Yet, a look at statistics from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency and the FBI indicate that both the number of illegal crossers and violent crime in general have actually decreased in the past several years.

According to FBI statistics, violent crimes reported in Arizona dropped by nearly 1,500 reported incidents between 2005 and 2008. Reported property crimes also fell, from about 287,000 reported incidents to 279,000 in the same period. These decreases are accentuated by the fact that Arizona's population grew by 600,000 between 2005 and 2008.

According to the nonpartisan Immigration Policy Institute, proponents of the bill "overlook two salient points: Crime rates have already been falling in Arizona for years despite the presence of unauthorized immigrants, and a century's worth of research has demonstrated that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes or be behind bars than the native-born."
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/29/arizona.immigration.crime/index.html

Last edited by Artie60438 on 5/20/2010, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quotes)
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/20/2010, 6:02 pm

Yeah, well let's get back on topic, shall we?

Well, the truth is finally trickling out about how bad this leak really is....

Today, BP says that the "tube" that they inserted is collecting 210,000 gallons of oil per day, or 5000 barrels, which is exactly the total amount of oil that they claimed was leaking from day one of this catastrophe. It's clear from the video that I posted that the oil is still gushing out at a phenomenal rate.

BP Admits They Underestimated The Amount Of Oil Leaking As More Washes On Shore

BP Gets Caught Up in its Own Math - 5,000 Barrel a Day Estimate Way Off

Quote :
A live video feed of the leak posted online Thursday at the insistence of U.S. Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass., shows what appears to be a large plume of oil and gas still spewing next to the tube that's carrying some of it to the surface.

Here's the address of the web cam, but the site has crashed because of the number of visitors.

http://www.globalwarming.house.gov/

Hopefully, they will have the site fixed soon.

Meanwhile a hard hitting new ad has been put out by Americans United For Change that attacks the oil companies as well as the the GOP for their continued support of big oil.

This will be the first of many such ads. The "drill baby drill" idiots are going to pay dearly for their actions.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/21/2010, 9:10 am

You know about those new "top" mattress pads that make your back feel like your sleeping better?

The CEO of some mattress topping demonstrated on Fox News showed a swmming pool, child size, and filled it with water. They put 4 or 5 cans of the highest number (#90?) of oil in it. He showed how the pool came out with clean water while he left the mattress top (stuffing) on top to absorb all the oil within 2 minutes.

He figured they could be made huge enough to be pulled by a whatever, tugger, ship, barge? Then liLift it out, wring the oil out, and be placed back into the ocean. It was very clear this was a great idea...he contacted every Federal agency, and also BP. No response.

The demonstration clearly showed it would be a great contribution toward absorbing the oil, yet no one returns his calls. BP takes messages, but nothing more. He's contacted the FEDS from Washington to Florida, any state bordering the oil spill, no response. FOX news I think is going to help him to get the solution out to the proper people in office.

To me it would absorb a vast amount of oil compared to the hair stockings.

What do you think? Anyone see that this a.m.?

Boycott BP the gas company. They made billions but did not put in the safety requirements. I just feel so sorry for the fishermen, the fish, birds, turtles, etc.

Why is it taking technology so long in this country? It's been a whole month now.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/22/2010, 2:06 pm

UrRight wrote:
To me it would absorb a vast amount of oil compared to the hair stockings.

They are not using the "hair stockings." They are using absorbent booms, which work in much the same the same way as this guy's "pads."

Hair Donated For Oil Cleanup Gets Pulled

Quote :
May 21, 2010
BP says it has no plan to use hair booms in its gulf oil spill clean-up. A San Francisco-based environmental organization started a drive to help create these booms earlier this month, asking beauty salons and animal groomers to collect and send hair and fur clippings to the gulf coast. BP maintains that the absorbent booms they're now using are the best product for the job and they've had some difficulties in the use and disposal of hair booms in the past.

This leak is so cataclysmic that attempts to "soak up" the oil are simply not going to be enough to stop an environmental disaster. The oil isn't just floating on the surface. There are giant oil plumes under the surface that are poisoning the water and starving the ocean depths of oxygen.

To put it simply, the Gulf, and everything in it, is dying.

Now oil has begun reaching wetland savannas, and there is no way to get the oil out of there. The wetlands will absorb the oil like a sponge, which destroy the wetlands.. Many will never recover.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/22/2010, 5:13 pm

UrRight wrote:
Why is it taking technology so long in this country? It's been a whole month now.

Science as salvation happens when it is possible, not needed. Research and development, manufacturing, transportation and deployment... We've never handled anything of this magnitude before, let alone at this depth; they've had to start from scratch. There are no quick fixes.

Envirnomnetal hazards are best dealt with before they happen.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/22/2010, 6:35 pm

Well said, H.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   5/22/2010, 8:20 pm

The mind boggles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez   

Back to top Go down

Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: