Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wow some are going to be screwed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Wow some are going to be screwed Empty
PostSubject: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/29/2008, 12:56 pm

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/12/29/updates/breaking_news/doc495908fdf268e796137803.txt

Some students are totally screwed come 2011 now

These public schools are now acting like they are private schools. Maybe they need to get off the Govt dole if they are going to say that students need to take 4 years of math and 2 yrs of a foreign language, just to have the privilege of attending their schools

This really scares me, this reeks of elitism

I know kids who despise math and want to get it out of the way, well so much for going to IU and Purdue. In fact, I bet some high schools do not even offer those math classes they want
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/29/2008, 1:26 pm

College is not an entitlement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/29/2008, 3:51 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
College is not an entitlement.

But what about the ones who want to go to college, but the school systems they go to do not offer those math classes?

So basically they should be SOL then and be forced to work for minimum wage for the rest of their lives?

Kinda defeats the purpose of making college affordable for all kids like the governor wants doesn't it?

And going by that logic, then I would not have been able to go to College, since I only did 2 years in math and none in foreign languages, so that means I should not have been able to go to school because I hated math and never wanted to learn another language? Again how fair is that?
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/29/2008, 3:55 pm

All the more reason for the guidence department in every high school to keep on top of what is required by the state schools and be pro active towards the students who have shown an interest in college. Going to college for the oldest child in the family is a real intimadating thing. I learned some huge lessons after the first semester of my daughters first year away.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/29/2008, 4:00 pm

Are there really school systems that do not offer a foreign language or adequate math courses? That seems hard to believe.

Did you choose to only take 2 years of math and no foreign language?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/30/2008, 7:17 pm

More schooling pushed onto our children can never be bad. I don't necessarily agree with the 2 yrs of foreign language because I know people who say they've taken 2+ yrs worth and can't speak/read the language.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/30/2008, 7:28 pm

[quote="Ohhmama" I don't necessarily agree with the 2 yrs of foreign language because I know people who say they've taken 2+ yrs worth and can't speak/read the language.[/quote]

I think if you don't speak a foreign language on a daily basis you tend to forget it. If you did speak it daily you would be told, "this is the united states, we speak english here."

I've never understood a mandatory class in a foreign language. In this day and age a mandatory class in finances would be more appropriate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/30/2008, 7:38 pm

party42 wrote:

I think if you don't speak a foreign language on a daily basis you tend to forget it. If you did speak it daily you would be told, "this is the united states, we speak english here."
--funny LOL

party42 wrote:
I've never understood a mandatory class in a foreign language. In this day and age a mandatory class in finances would be more appropriate.
--I agree completely! As far as I'm concerned, work it in and use it towards one year of math! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/31/2008, 8:07 am

party42 wrote:
The only mandatory language should be English.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty12/31/2008, 9:22 am

Here are some of the benefits to learning a second language.
Learning a second language at an early age...

* Has a positive effect on intellectual growth.
* Enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
* Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
* Improves a child's understanding of his/her native language.
* Gives a child the ability to communicate with people s/he would otherwise not have the chance to know.
* Opens the door to other cultures and helps a child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
* Gives a student a head start in language requirements for college.
* Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.

One of the things that no one has brought up in this thread is that as a country, our universities are not producing enough graduates to fill the country's needs in fields like computer technology, engineering,medicine,
physics and chemistry. At one time, American universities were regarded as some of the best in the world. As our educational system declines,so will our standard of living. I think that Purdue and I.U. are taking positive steps to improve the quality of higher education and should be commended for it. Contrary to Mike's opinion, I think we are "screwed" if we don't demand higher standards for education. We will pay a high price for the "dumbing down"
of the country.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow some are going to be screwed   Wow some are going to be screwed Empty

Back to top Go down

Wow some are going to be screwed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Indiana/Illinois :: Statewide Indiana-
Jump to: