Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Science of Torture

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/7/2013, 3:48 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
edge540 wrote:
Quote :
Do you sense any uncertainty in the above statements?
Your "above statement" is from a news source. Below is what Panetta actually said which I find has plenty of uncertainty:

"Some of the detainees who provided useful information...had been subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques," he continued. "Whether those techniques were the 'only timely and effective way' to obtain such information is a matter of debate and cannot be established definitively."
He's too stupid to grasp the concept of the difference between a news source headline and actual quotes.

Read his statements carefully, preferably with your eyes open.

"Some of the detainees who provided useful information...had been subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques," he continued. "Whether those techniques were the 'only timely and effective way' to obtain such information is a matter of debate and cannot be established definitively."

What he is clearly saying is that useful information was obtained through “enhanced interrogation techniques”, and that there is no way to definitively establish that the same useful information could have or would have been obtained through other methods.

Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 8:34 am

It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out that Panetta was being told this bullshit by the conservative torture loving crowd at the CIA which I'm sure still exists at the CIA.
Later on reality set in and Leon was set straight with the facts:

"Let me further point out that we first learned about the facilitator/courier’s nom de guerre from a detainee not in CIA custody in 2002. It is also important to note that some detainees who were subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques attempted to provide false or misleading information about the facilitator/courier. These attempts to falsify the facilitator/courier’s role were alerting.
In the end, no detainee in CIA custody revealed the facilitator/courier’s full true name or specific whereabouts. This information was discovered through other intelligence means."

End of story

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 12:06 pm

edge540 wrote:
It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out that Panetta was being told this bullshit by the conservative torture loving crowd at the CIA which I'm sure still exists at the CIA.
Later on reality set in and Leon was set straight with the facts:

End of story

It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out that the head of one of the most sophisticated and capable intelligence agencies in the world would not be susceptible to "bullshit", as you call it. I would think that a man in such an integral and responsible position would see through such "bullshit" and would not make a public statement about such things without verifying their accuracy.
I'm sure he got his "facts" straight in time for him to be promoted to Secretary of Defense, though.

End of story.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 12:43 pm

Now, now jack, we all know everybody is susceptible to bullshit now and then, even you. Nobody is perfect.

You're exhibit "A"

Let me ask you something, do you believe torture works?

I don't
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 1:26 pm

edge540 wrote:
Now, now jack, we all know everybody is susceptible to bullshit now and then, even you. Nobody is perfect.

As I said earlier: you'll wear as many pairs of blinders as are necessary in order to cover for this administration, won't you?

edge540 wrote:

I don’t know – I have no experience in such matters. If I had to speculate, I would guess that it works under some circumstances, but not under all circumstances.
But it is apparent that Leon Panetta believes it worked - mainly, because he said so.

Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 2:17 pm

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:

As I said earlier: you'll wear as many pairs of blinders as are necessary in order to cover for this administration, won't you?

No not at all, Panetta is 75 years old and I really doubt a 75 year old man looked at thousands of pages of intel documents and then decided if torture worked or didn't work. It's obvious he was told some bullshit. Anyway, like I said before:
If Panetta mistakenly for some strange reason thought that torture might have lead to getting bin laden, so be it. Who cares, it doesn't matter. BFD.

edge540 wrote:

Quote :
I don’t know – I have no experience in such matters. If I had to speculate, I would guess that it works under some circumstances, but not under all circumstances.
But it is apparent that Leon Panetta believes it worked - mainly, because he said so.

And then after that he was informed of the facts and said it did not.
The evidence is beyond overwhelming that torture does not work, it's too bad that gullible conservatives still believe the bullshit.

You're the one with the blinders, jack not me.
Waterboarding Doesn’t Work, Scientists Say

It's not surprising, after all conservatives don't believe in science, they believe in a TV show
http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/02/02/conservatives-continue-to-use-foxs-24-to-suppor/137925

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 2:42 pm

edge540 wrote:
Panetta is 75 years old and I really doubt a 75 year old man looked at thousands of pages of intel documents and then decided if torture worked or didn't work. It's obvious he was told some bullshit.

Your excuse for Panetta's behavior appears to be based upon your belief that your Messiah appointed a lazy, incompetent, senile old man to head one the most important agencies in the country, if not the world, and then (after he said what Barry told him to say) promoted him to the position of Secretary of Defense, 4th or 5th in the line of succession to the presidency.
Great judgment on Barry's part.
Keep those blinders on, edge - and keep that CYA coming
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 2:47 pm

Well yes indeed, it was great judgment on Barry's part, he did get bin laden as opposed to the incompetent shit for brain clowns that you admire and vote for.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 3:12 pm

edge540 wrote:
Well yes indeed, it was great judgment on Barry's part, he did get bin laden ....

.... and he only needed to use a little bit of information derived through torture in order to get him.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 3:18 pm

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:
Well yes indeed, it was great judgment on Barry's part, he did get bin laden ....

.... and he only needed to use a little bit of information derived through torture in order to get him.
Well no he did not.
It's a shame you can't prove that nonsense, you have absolutely nothing to back that up...and keep those blinders on with your head in the sand, it looks good.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 5:21 pm

happy jack wrote:

[b]As I said earlier: you'll wear as many pairs of blinders as are necessary in order to cover for this administration, won't you?
Meanwhile you'll keep stomping your little feet,banging your head against the wall,hoping and praying that one of the wild goose chases that Drudge or Breitbart send you on will actually amount to something.

For the rest of us it's a never ending source of amusement.
The Science of Torture - Page 3 Rofl
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 6:02 pm

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:

Well no he did not.
It's a shame you can't prove that nonsense, you have absolutely nothing to back that up...and keep those blinders on with your head in the sand, it looks good.

I don't need to prove that "nonsense".
NBC and Politicsusa did it for me, no matter how badly you try to ignore it.

http://www.today.com/id/42880435/ns/today-today_news/t/cia-chief-waterboarding-aided-bin-laden-raid/

CIA chief: Waterboarding aided bin Laden raid

WASHINGTON — Intelligence garnered from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him, CIA Chief Leon Panetta told NBC News on Tuesday.
“Enhanced interrogation techniques” were used to extract information that led to the mission’s success, Panetta said during an interview with anchor Brian Williams. Those techniques included waterboarding, he acknowledged.

http://www.politicususa.com/panetta-oliterates-torture-led-bin-laden-myth.html

He went on to say the following: ”Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used,” he admitted.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 6:05 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
.... one of the wild goose chases that Drudge or Breitbart send you on will actually amount to something.

Actually, the information came from NBC and Politicsusa, a.k.a. Real Liberal Politics.
(See previous post.)
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 8:11 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
.... one of the wild goose chases that Drudge or Breitbart send you on will actually amount to something.

Actually, the information came from NBC and Politicsusa, a.k.a. Real Liberal Politics.
(See previous post.)

Liar,Liar,Pants on fire. Laughing The story and link you originally posted was from http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/02/secretary-of-defense-panetta-admits-information-from-waterboarding-led-us-to-bin-laden-video/ not NBC or PoliticsUSA. You got that link directly from your cuckoo crackpot hero Drudge.
Let me remind you of my response to your very First post on this latest wild goose chase. ....
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
It’s refreshing to see that your president, he of the pure and lily-white hands (figuratively, of course), is finally forced to admit that he used those hands to utilize and take advantage of torture in order to pull off the high point of his presidency – the killing of bin-Laden.
Oh, my.
[/i]
Oh,my indeed Razz
Jim Hoft Flat Out Lies About Panetta and “Waterboarding,” Gets a Drudge Link
Quote :
Dishonesty rewarded by wingnut welfare

The Dumbest Man on the Internet resorts to a flat out lie today, and is rewarded with a headline link at Drudge Report: Defense Secretary Panetta Admits Information From Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden (Video) | the Gateway Pundit.

Quote :
Yes, waterboarding worked.
Today on Meet the Press Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta admitted that information gleaned from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him.

“The real story was that in order to put the puzzle of intelligence together that led us to Bin Laden, there were a lot of pieces out there that were a part of that puzzle. Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used. But the fact is we put together most of that intelligence without having to resort to that.”

Jim Hoft is such an amazing dimwit that he actually includes the quote that exposes his own brazen lies.

First, Panetta did not even use the word “waterboarding,” and he certainly did not say that information from waterboarding “led to bin Laden.” Hoft simply made that up out of nothing. Panetta specifically said that most of the intelligence that led to bin Laden was put together without using torture.

Second, Panetta’s very next sentence, after the section that Hoft clipped for his misleading video, was:

Quote :
I think we could have gotten bin Laden without that.

This is an absolutely blatant, in your face example of how the right wing blogs tell each other lies, circulate them, and turn them into unquestionable articles of faith. It’s a microcosm of the reality-denying reactionary sickness at the heart of the conservative movement.

Here’s the clip from NBC of Panetta’s actual statement, including the critical sentence that Hoft edited out.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Quote :
The Dumbest Man on the Internet resorts to a flat out lie today, and is rewarded with a headline link at Drudge Report:
And the dumbest poster on this message board swallows it hook,line,and sinker,the doubles down on it by making up another bald faced lie claiming the POTOS admitted to it despite the fact that POTUS was never even mentioned in the article or the attached video clip!
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 10:41 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

(See previous post.)

Liar,Liar,Pants on fire. Laughing The story and link you originally posted was from http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/02/secretary-of-defense-panetta-admits-information-from-waterboarding-led-us-to-bin-laden-video/ not NBC or PoliticsUSA. You got that link directly from your cuckoo crackpot hero Drudge.
Let me remind you of my response to your very First post on this latest wild goose chase. ....
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
It’s refreshing to see that your president, he of the pure and lily-white hands (figuratively, of course), is finally forced to admit that he used those hands to utilize and take advantage of torture in order to pull off the high point of his presidency – the killing of bin-Laden.
Oh, my.
[/i]
Oh,my indeed Razz
Jim Hoft Flat Out Lies About Panetta and “Waterboarding,” Gets a Drudge Link
Quote :
Dishonesty rewarded by wingnut welfare

The Dumbest Man on the Internet resorts to a flat out lie today, and is rewarded with a headline link at Drudge Report: Defense Secretary Panetta Admits Information From Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden (Video) | the Gateway Pundit.

Quote :
Yes, waterboarding worked.
Today on Meet the Press Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta admitted that information gleaned from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him.

“The real story was that in order to put the puzzle of intelligence together that led us to Bin Laden, there were a lot of pieces out there that were a part of that puzzle. Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used. But the fact is we put together most of that intelligence without having to resort to that.”

Jim Hoft is such an amazing dimwit that he actually includes the quote that exposes his own brazen lies.

First, Panetta did not even use the word “waterboarding,” and he certainly did not say that information from waterboarding “led to bin Laden.” Hoft simply made that up out of nothing. Panetta specifically said that most of the intelligence that led to bin Laden was put together without using torture.

Second, Panetta’s very next sentence, after the section that Hoft clipped for his misleading video, was:

Quote :
I think we could have gotten bin Laden without that.

This is an absolutely blatant, in your face example of how the right wing blogs tell each other lies, circulate them, and turn them into unquestionable articles of faith. It’s a microcosm of the reality-denying reactionary sickness at the heart of the conservative movement.

Here’s the clip from NBC of Panetta’s actual statement, including the critical sentence that Hoft edited out.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Quote :
The Dumbest Man on the Internet resorts to a flat out lie today, and is rewarded with a headline link at Drudge Report:
And the dumbest poster on this message board swallows it hook,line,and sinker,the doubles down on it by making up another bald faced lie claiming the POTOS admitted to it despite the fact that POTUS was never even mentioned in the article or the attached video clip!

The relevant quote in question was posted at both NBC and Gateway Pundit, and if I kept poking around, I would undoubtedly find the very same quote at some other sources as well. What the hell is your point?

http://www.today.com/id/42880435/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

"Enhanced interrogation techniques" were used to extract information that led to the mission's success, Panetta said during an interview with anchor Brian Williams. Those techniques included waterboarding, he acknowledged.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/05/confirmed-cia-chief-panetta-admits-info-from-waterboarding-led-us-to-osama-bin-laden-video/

“Enhanced interrogation techniques” were used to extract information that led to the mission’s success, Panetta said during an interview with anchor Brian Williams. Those techniques included waterboarding, he acknowledged.

Incidentally, can you illustrate for me this trail of links showing that I accessed the gatewaypundit through Drudge?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/9/2013, 4:38 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

Does a link from this site meet your high journalistic standards?
(Incidentally, can you illustrate for me this trail of links showing that I accessed the gatewaypundit through Drudge?)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/04/972873/-WtF-ing-F-Political-Role-Reversal-on-Torture#

Intelligence garnered from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him, CIA Chief Leon Panetta told NBC News on Tuesday.
"Enhanced interrogation techniques" were used to extract information that led to the mission's success, Panetta said during an interview with anchor Brian Williams. Those techniques included waterboarding, he acknowledged.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/9/2013, 7:28 pm

happy jack wrote:

(Incidentally, can you illustrate for me this trail of links showing that I accessed the gatewaypundit through Drudge?)[/b]
So it was just a coincidence that it was the headline story on Drudge at exactly the time you posted it? Rolling Eyes Then you want to claim that you found it somewhere else? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Your claim might be feasible but unfortunately you were too stupid to remember that less than 30 minutes after you posted it you pretty much admitted that you got it from Drudge. It wasn't until later that you came up with the story that you got it from somewhere else.
Quote :
Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 pm
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
I don't know or care what someone named Jim Hoft said; I don't even know who he is.
Yet you posted his lies,right?
Guess what? Shocked That entire link completely disappeared from Drudge's page. Gee,I wonder why? lol! Sleep

[b]I am concerned with only one statement out of that entire link, and it was not a statement by Hoft – it was a statement by Panetta:

You can't even keep your lies straight,can you?
The Science of Torture - Page 3 51831617.rofl

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/9/2013, 7:45 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
You can't even keep your lies straight,can you?

And which lies would those be?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/17/2013, 11:14 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-16/hollywood-snubs-best-film-as-zero-dark-thirty-odds-fade.html

Hollywood Snubs Best Film as ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ Odds Fade

By Michael White - Feb 17, 2013 12:32 AM CT

“Zero Dark Thirty,” the best-reviewed film of 2012, has become an Oscar longshot because of a political backlash in Hollywood over its depiction of torture in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden.
Since early January, Kathryn Bigelow’s critically praised movie has sunk to fifth from third among likely best-picture winners at GoldDerby.com, which ranks award prospects. Actors Ed Asner and David Clennon urged academy voters to snub the Sony Corp. film. Author Naomi Wolf called Bigelow “torture’s handmaiden” and compared her to Nazi propagandist Leni Riefenstahl.
Jessica Chastain plays a member of the elite team of spies and military operatives stationed in a covert base overseas in "Zero Dark Thirty." The Columbia Pictures film opened Dec. 19.
Jessica Chastain plays a member of the elite team of spies and military operatives stationed in a covert base overseas in "Zero Dark Thirty." The Columbia Pictures film opened Dec. 19. Photographer: Jonathan Olley/Zero Dark Thirty LLC via Bloomberg
The outcry from Washington and influential industry voices has made “Zero Dark Thirty” a tough vote for left-leaning Hollywood. It’s led to a split between academy members disturbed by torture scenes that imply waterboarding and other harsh methods worked, and others who defend the filmmakers’ right to free speech and artistic freedom.
“The general political persuasion in Hollywood has more to do with it than any particular actors,” said former Republican U.S Senator Fred Thompson, who’s appeared in dozens of films and TV shows including “Law & Order.” “If they perceive that this movie somehow adopts the Bush narrative, that could affect the movie.”
Over eight days in December, “Zero Dark Thirty” was dubbed best picture by four groups, including the New York Film Critics Association, the National Board of Review and the Boston Film Critics Association. It was the top Oscar contender on the Metacritic site, which ranks films based on reviews.

Senate Questions

Then the U.K.’s Guardian published an article accusing Bigelow, the only woman to win an Oscar for directing, of justifying torture. On Dec. 19, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, joined by John McCain and Carl Levin, asked Sony Pictures to consider “correcting” the suggestion torture helped the CIA find bin Laden because it was inaccurate.

Don't like history?
No problem - your government will "correct" it for you.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/17/2013, 11:23 am

happy jack wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-16/hollywood-snubs-best-film-as-zero-dark-thirty-odds-fade.html

Senate Questions

Then the U.K.’s Guardian published an article accusing Bigelow, the only woman to win an Oscar for directing, of justifying torture. On Dec. 19, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, joined by John McCain and Carl Levin, asked Sony Pictures to consider “correcting” the suggestion torture helped the CIA find bin Laden because it was inaccurate. [/i]

[b]Don't like history?
Or live in a fantasy world on Planet Wingnuttia and believe that all dramatizations are 100% true.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/17/2013, 11:28 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Senate Questions

Then the U.K.’s Guardian published an article accusing Bigelow, the only woman to win an Oscar for directing, of justifying torture. On Dec. 19, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, joined by John McCain and Carl Levin, asked Sony Pictures to consider “correcting” the suggestion torture helped the CIA find bin Laden because it was inaccurate. [/i]

[b]Don't like history?
Or live in a fantasy world on Planet Wingnuttia and believe that all dramatizations are 100% true.

Are you in favor of your government "correcting" someone's artistic endeavor?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/17/2013, 9:39 pm

Finally saw Zero Dark Thirty today.
One of the more compelling characters was the one based on the interrogator who used the enhanced interrogation techniques, the ones Panetta admitted were essential to the mission.

http://www.politicususa.com/panetta-oliterates-torture-led-bin-laden-myth.html

”Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used,” he admitted.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/18/2013, 9:38 am

This guy?

The Science of Torture - Page 3 Arts-graphics-2007_1181445a

...or this guy?

The Science of Torture - Page 3 Taken-liamneeson-photo
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/18/2013, 11:15 am

happy jack wrote:
One of the more compelling characters was the one based on the interrogator who used the enhanced interrogation techniques, the ones Panetta admitted were essential to the mission.

Three questions: Which character and who was he based on? When did Panetta refer to said character? When did he say the intel was essential?

Your link answers none of those.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty2/18/2013, 11:45 am

Heretic wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Three questions: Which character and who was he based on? When did Panetta refer to said character? When did he say the intel was essential?

Your link answers none of those.
Tune in next week when Happy reviews "Argo", and declares the character,Lester Siegel,portrayed by Alan Arkin, as "compelling".
The major role of producer Lester Siegel, played by Alan Arkin, is fictional.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Science of Torture   The Science of Torture - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Science of Torture
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next